1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Huckabee Hedges on Aid for Illegals

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Dec 3, 2007.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Huckabee Hedges on Aid for Illegals

New Iowa Leader Criticized by for Indecision on Federal Student Aid

BY TEDDY DAVIS

December 2, 2007—

Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee, the former Arkansas governor who backed in-state tuition for the children of illegal immigrants, hedged Sunday on whether illegal immigrants who have gone to school in the United States should become eligible for federal student aid such as Pell grants and subsidized federal student loans.

"I'm not sure that I would support that," Huckabee told ABC News, "it was a different program in Arkansas."

Huckabee's failure to take a clear position on federal student aid while appearing on ABC News' "This Week with George Stephanopoulos" drew swift rebukes from two Republican rivals.

"Gov. Romney does not support providing federal taxpayer-funded student aid intended for legal residents going to illegal immigrants," Romney spokesman Kevin Madden told ABC News. "Mike Huckabee's position [in Arkansas] that taxpayer dollars meant for students who are legal residents should also be made available to illegal immigrants puts him squarely at odds with the American taxpayer."

Echoing a line that Romney used against Huckabee in last week's CNN/YouTube debate, Madden added, "Mike Huckabee needs to understand that it's not his money. It's the taxpayers' money."

Huckabee's indecision on federal student aid was also criticized by the campaign of former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson.

"Children who are born in this country are U.S. citizens and entitled to the privileges of citizenship," said Thompson spokeswoman Karen Hanretty. "Those in our country illegally are not. It's that simple."

- rest at www.abcnews.go.com/print?id=3943214

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    More...

"Huckabee does admit to one perhaps significant chink in his armor. Some might perceive him to be soft on illegal immigration.

He doesn’t think this is the case, however, and hopes that the rank and file voter will see that he simply wants to add a measure of fairness to the firmness.

“Some people want me to be a lot harsher [on immigration policy],” Huckabee explains.

“When I realized that there are kids [children of illegal immigrants] out there who are as good as me and they didn’t have a choice where they were born; they didn’t have a choice to whom they were born; then I have to ask myself do I really want to put my heel in their face no matter how hard they work?

“My soul won’t let me pander that issue any further than that and I’m not going to,” he says with determination.

Chuck Norris says that it’s Huckabee’s compassion for the children of illegals that is one of the factors that moved him to support his candidacy.

The actor teaches martial arts to Hispanic youngsters in Texas and sees any policy of blanket expulsion as counterproductive to the kids who are achieving the American dream through hard work and furthering their educations."

- rest at www.newsmax.com/headlines/huckabee_beat_clinton/2007/12/02/53909.html?s=al&promo_code=3E85-1

3. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Biblically speaking, if we follow God's teachings, we will not oppress the stranger in our midst: The Bible further clarifies that the stranger in our midst is required to follow and obey our civil law and to work for his bread. He is not partaker of inheritance as pertaining to the rights of citizenship. This does not prevent individual acts of compassion.......... in fact the Bible commends those individuals who extend compassionate help.....but this is not a corporate venture.

Huckabee's softness on ILLEGALs is one reason I consider Ron Paul over Mike's candidacy. Another, and sorry that I didn't keep the link, but there was a charge against a militia leader in his home state when he was governor. The ATF or who ever prosecuted, did not have any real evidence of wrong doing but it was decided by the court that the organization of a militia was a threat. The defense requested a letter from the governor Huckabee supporting the right to bear arms, and the recognition of the Arkansas Constitution of local militias: The governor made a response that He was not aware of any such right under the Arkansas constitution. The counsel for the defense was aware of the constitution, but the governor did not cite, or seem to know the constitution, or was unwilling to be a party to upholding the constitution of his own state..... We need leadership which upholds the rights of the governed and is concerned about the unnecessary infringement of those rights by the regulations and departments of government.

I believe it is time we start holding all public officials to abiding and enforcing the constitutions of their states, and The Constitution of the United States. It seems to be more and more evident that as individuals and as a nation, the majority of us and our leaders are woefully ignorant of those documents upon which our nation was founded....... as a result we have permitted or even endorsed those acts, laws, and judicial judgement which have been slowly eroding the foundation of our freedom. As the erosion has been slow in previous times, we have become acclimated to accepting the changes without awareness of the overall accumulation and acceleration of these processes. Desensitizatin by measured doses of exposure is leading us to accept restrictions of our rights which our forefathers would have considered as treasonous acts of tiranny.