1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Hunt vs White

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Grasshopper, Jun 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Exactly. But they will never see this nor will they accept these facts.

Other than this I disagree with your conclusion on the Calvinists. Your conclusion is a baseless final statement.

- Blessings

#61 preacher4truth, Jun 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2013
  2. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don't think I was accurate to both sides in this thread?

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong DHK. Calvin would have endorsed the conclusions of the Synod of Dort.

4. preacher4truth

Not at all. The Calvinists here have offered objective posts and you've included them in your post as being in error. You've offered no basis for your conclusion upon them. You're reaching for unity of error when frankly it isn't there.

- Blessings

5. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am stating that if either side is going to defend Hunt or White, then they need to incorporate the use of Scriptures.

Show how Hunt's or White's use of Scriptures were correct or incorrect by not only restating what was said, but show other supporting Scriptures to validate the truth or untruth.

However, to could it be that the non-cal have no real authoritative Scripture to rest their view?

I used a few quotes that would support a cal view, can the non-cal demonstrate that what I stated is faulty by appropriate use of Scriptures?

6. preacher4truth

My point was you have used no conclusive evidence on your accusations towards Calvinists in this thread. Thus far it has all been arbitrary.

The usage of Scripture to defend either side is not the point. The point is proving either of them wrong in their usage of Scripture.

Beyond this, DH has failed to prove his point and has failed miserably. You see, the burden of proof lay upon him, which is the objective of the debate, and he, as he has stated, has no true knowledge of the Reformed position on Calvinism. That said, he only brings an caricature of calvinism and straw man arguments in addition to this.

For Hunts or White's failures on their usages of Scripture, you'll have to show them yourself as you've condemned both sides, thus the burden to prove such lay upon you. You brought this into the argument, don't turn on others to answer your own baseless conclusions, instead perhaps answer them yourself? You've condemned the Calvinists in this thread as you have the non. Prove all of these accusations and don't pass the buck onto me or anyone else to prove them.

Yes. Exactly my point and they do not. But you've leveled the same upon Calvinists in this thread and I patiently await your proof. Otherwise you're still reaching for unity of error which frankly is not there.

- Blessings

7. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I submit that the thread, itself, contains the "conclusive evidence" and supports the accusation I made toward both sides.

That accusation is that neither side had used any Scriptures to support their views, but had resorted to labels and demeaning statements that do not edify.

The accusation is not arbitrary, but is evidenced by the thread, itself.

Can you actually find a post in which the Cal side has used Scriptures to defend White's views in this thread or refute Hunts?

Can the non - cal actually find a post in which the non-cal side has used Scriptures to defend Hunt's views in this thread or refute White's?

I never particularly "claimed a side" in the thread but demonstrated a few verses that did support a side as an example in hopes that the thread posters would move the discussion along to something of real substance.

8. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You seem to want to redirect this topic and go into the typical unorganized never-ending scriptural food-fights which generally lack any resolve on this board due to the very tactics being discussed in this thread and/or want settle the C&A disagreements through some scriptural food-fights on these issues right here and now??? Above you try to redirect the topic into arguments over predestination, the origin of sin, irresistible grace – what have you – this all amounts to a smokescreen toward the topic at hand. The topic of this thread is about the “debate methods” used in Hunt VS White debate. The fact that the fallacies being used by White in that debate are stereotypical of the Calvinist’ arguments merely make good examples of the common smokescreens used by them to avoid to getting down to drawing out the truth in the claims and issues at hand. In this instance the claim that Hunt doesn’t understand the Calvinist system and the issues and debate tactics behind that claim - Know what I mean?

If all you value is off topic never-ending scriptural food fights, fine, but personally I, and I'm sure many others are not interested in going into those circular arguments during the discussions of this topic...thanks.

9. preacher4truth

OK. Prove your above statements on both sides with quotes. The burden of proof lay upon you to do so.

You've completely dismissed my prior response, thus your editing out of which I said this:

Prove your alleged demeaning statements from both sides within the context of this thread. The Calvinist response here have been objective and expose the objectives of non-Calvinist up to this point. Based on this, respectfully I don't believe your accusations can stand as they are baseless.

Again, you're still attempting to reach for unity of error on both sides and again frankly it is not there though I appreciate your attempt for such unity, but it is unfounded.

All you've said up to this point is arbitrary. Offer solid proof with quotes to support your accusations please.

- Blessings

10. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok, now I have both sides attention.

Don't I feel popular!

I have placed the problem of the thread as I have seen it.

Because both sides are willing to continue with pointless discussion couched in "debate tactics" and which side is more honorable, I will respectfully withdraw from the thread.

Folks, let's just not get so zealous in debate tactics and honorable -ness that the Holy Spirit is grieved by what you post.

Always remember that many eyes look at the BB who never register and who might stumble over the words used on a thread like this.

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Pure conjecture. Besides you don't seem to understand English just like Calvin didn't understand English, which was the main focus of my post. He spoke and wrote in FRENCH.

Total depravity is not a French phrase and would not start with T.
    "depravation totalie"
    "election inconditionnelle"
    "grace irresistible"
    "expiation limitee"
    "La perseverance des saints"

DEGEL = TULIP For Calvin there was no TULIP, even if he believed the same points. And that is doubtful.
    However, the neo-Calvinistic position is not "total depravity," it is "total inability," a rather new doctrine, not the orthodox doctrine of the depravity of man that has been held throughout the ages. This modern "Reformed" position is almost a new religion, at least for Baptists.

#71 DHK, Jun 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2013
  12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

First, it is not a strawman because I have spoken truthfully.
    Second, I am not going to waste my time doing a search, but I will give you one example.

There is a poster here who refuses to debate me because "I am ignorant, and refuse to be taught."
    He comes to that conclusion because I refuse to read the links to his confessions, creeds, etc. IOW, he won't debate with Scripture. His creeds and confessions are his authority seemingly, not the Bible, or so it seems.

That is one good example.
    I am not going to debate a creed or a confession.

13. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

Just a good example to show the smoke and mirrors tactics of Calvinists, there's a monkey wrench to throw at them and watch the smoke burrow over the land of Calvinism, and it is simply to ask them this: WHAT IS CALVINISM? In defining it, you will watch the tide move from John Calvin, to the Reformers, to the Creeds, a few proof texts thrown in the mix, and then defended by a creedal statement.

Calvinists deliberately obfuscate even their own definitions of Calvinism because half of their tactics are attempting to convince the opposition that they don't understand Calvinism, and if a Calvinist can avoid getting pinned down to a definition of Calvinism that can be compared to the Bible, they will be at a loss because Calvinism is a philosophical system, not a Biblical one.

14. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

And I know exactly who you are talking about. Calvinists expect others to read every inch of Reformer publications when they themselves can't even agree on what Calvinism is or the veracity of accusations about John Calvin himself.

There is just as much out there AGAINST Calvinism, if not more so, then there is for it. How much time would a Calvinist spend on reading the opposition? Even in this thread, they were all willing to read the debate with James White, but none of them commented hardly at all to the video that was posted that contained the entire lecture Hunt gave on "What Love Is This".

Calvinists refuse to accept the possibility that they could be wrong. But yet Calvin got baptism wrong-he sprinkled babies. Calvin got the millennium wrong and wouldn't touch the book of Revelation with a 10 foot pole (ditto for Luther). Since prophecy covers 2/3 of the Bible, how can anyone claim that a person so far off of what God considered a very important element of Scripture (" for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy" Rev 19:10) and then claim God used this man (and Augustine) to clarify the truth of the gospel that no fundamental church held to for 1500 years before Calvin showed up? Such is the exact same mentality that the Watchtower, Catholics, and other CULTS use.

15. preacher4truth

Yeah, sure. Where's your proof? You've offered nothing but an unsubstantiated straw man argument. Your alleged 'evidence' fails. One who has offered creeds or whatever as a point has NEVER used these as a FINAL authority which is your accusation.

Go garner solid proof Calvinists use your alleged sources as their 'final authority' which implies being above even Scripture. You've failed in your endeavor up to this point.

There are several admins here who are Calvinists as well. Prove they do the same in your broad brush accusation against Calvinists. Prove they as well accept anything other than Scripture as their final authority. You're on an island and have brought upon yourself a tsunami of fallacy.

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not at all. Calvin would certainly have been in accord with the Canons of Dort (which were not originally written in English,but Dutch --sice you are hung up on the non-English ability of Calvin).

Since when did you become a Calvin expert? Haven't you prided yourself in that you have not read his works?

Only in your mind.

Dreaming,all you do is dream. Spurgeon believed in total depravity (i.e.pervasive corruption) and total spiritual inability. Was he a neo-Calvinist? :laugh:

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

This is an appeal to a creed, not to Scripture. The poster is saying that the Creed is Scriptural, but the appeal is to the Creed itself, not the Scripture. Read carefully:
    http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=1992551&postcount=38

This type of appeal is made many times over in many different threads.
    They are easy to find.

18. Herald

Herald New Member

Hey, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

If we break the Calvinism threads down to their lowest common denominator it is always party line. No one comes away from these threads having experienced an epiphany that rocks their theological paradigm. That is because no one really is offering an honest inquiry.

19. preacher4truth

With any due respect, your argument is rather feeble.

A simple interpretation of these French phrases would translate quite simply into TULIP in the English vernacular. Your argument fails. You have nothing to stand upon in your allegations of TULIP.

Calvin was French thus TULIP isn't true because TULIP is an English acronym? Any person can see at face value these French phrases fitting naturally into TULIP.

'depravation totalie'? :laugh::wavey:

Total Depravation perhaps? Continue this rudimentary process with the balance of your French phrases. The end result is that TULIP is clearly seen.

Yours is an invalid allegation and falls well short of being anywhere near a plausible argument.

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.