1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hyles-Anderson College

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Sarah6, Aug 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarah6

Sarah6 New Member

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Sarah

When a school is a dot com instead of a dot edu, they are usually not even close to accreditation.

Welcome to the board!

Wayne

3. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought all you had to do to get a .edu was go to some place like godaddy.com and buy one. When our church bought our domain, we opted for a .com instead of a .org - no questions asked.

(By the way, I don't know anything about Hyles-Anderson college.)

EDIT: Just went and checked - you can't just buy a .edu. Sorry - didn't know what I was talking about. (But on the BB, that's not real uncommon.)

#3 SBCPreacher, Aug 30, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2006
  4. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

There is hardly any middle ground with HAC. One either loves them, nearly to the point the school can do not wrong, like a blueprint for all schools, or on the other side, some think they are near to a cult. Though there are some in the middle, it will be hard to find those.

In Christ...James

5. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Hi Sarah,

they work you hard at HAC. Their main goal is getting you into the ministry, and their focus is on preachers for the most part. They will keep you very busy outside of the classroom as well, so you have to keep that in mind. It is a pretty strict, IFB college, but the people there are nice. I say that because we just sent 3 or 4 new Freshmen there this year, and they are all very nice! :thumbs: We also have several older students there from our church, who are also doing great, and are great kids.

Let me tell ya this, I know one or two who dropped out and are rather mad at them, but the ones I know were on the way downhill spiritually already. HAC is not a place to be if you are wavering or wondering about your faith. They will either make you or break you........

6. Preacher Boy88

Preacher Boy88 New Member

HAC is a great place! I'm looking forward to attending next week. To echo what bapmom said, they are pretty tough but it's all for the good of the students. They want there to be no chance for you to fall into sin. I have been attending Youth Conference at First Baptist Church and Hyles-Anderson for 5 years and love it! It's an old-fashioned, Fundamental, Independent, Soul-Winning, Bus Ministry, Hot-preaching, unaccredited, Baptist Bible College. One of the best schools one could attend.

7. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Unbelievable. It is just this kind of answer that proves the point that you either love them or hate them. Honest questions about ministry, theology, and ministerial practice just won't be tolerated at Hyles. If you have these questions, why, it proves that you are going down hill spiritually!

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Preach it! I am still laughing.

God bless ya' preacher!

Wayne

10. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Go with your eyes open!

Son, go with your eyes open- you say, "They want there to be no chance for you to fall into sin." As one who attended and graduated from a like institution I can tell you that the easiet place to fall out of fellowship with the Lord is in just such a place. This is no slam at HAC because the same is true of any Bible college.

God bless you and keep you.

11. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Paul, don't twist what I said. I did not say anything about those who have HONEST questions. I have a few of those myself about HAC. I SPECIFICALLY said the ones I KNEW were in that category. They were goin' downhill BEFORE they went to HAC.....I knew this because I knew them then, and I know them now. Going there didn't do them much good because they didn't want it to. That wouldn't hold true for everyone.......I don't know everyone. And I did NOT say that having the questions proved anything. The people I know do not have questions about the ministerial style. They just don't like rules. They'll tell you that themselves.

So please, don't twist my post into something it wasn't. I tried to put an honest light onto what I know about HAC. It is not a place for everyone. Just like no other college will satisfy every single person.

12. bapmom

bapmom New Member

and amen, Mexdeaf!

it is easy to think that if you are in a good place (where God wants you to be) that then you can sit back and relax. Thats just when the devil will take your tired, relaxed self and slap it around a little. Get you mad at the administration for some silly reason....and then you're gone. Just be careful not to think that there is some magical place where you can go and it will keep you close to God. You have to keep your own relationship close to Jesus.....don't rely on where you are or who your preacher is.

13. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Bapmom,

Fair enough. I read again your post and see where you stated that you knew them and their spiritual condition before they attended, etc.

But you and I both know that honest questions about methodology will not be tolerated at Hyles.

14. Broadus

Broadus Member

I went to HAC from 1976-1978 and graduated with a Master of Education degree. I went on to earn advanced degrees from other Baptist institutions.

Compared to the other places I studied, Hyles-Anderson was much easier academically and treated subjects in a more superficial manner. You do work hard at HAC, particularly outside the classroom, but it is a required matter and can lead to spiritual pride ("Look at what I'm doing!" or "Look at what we have to do. They don't have to do that at Younameit Baptist College!").

Based upon my experience, I would discourage anyone from going to Hyles-Anderson if he is serious about an education. There are too many alternatives in our day.

FWIW, I have been in the ministry since 1978.

Bill

15. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Paul,
    I fear that among many there you are correct. I don't know that we can say that about every person in administration.....but I imagine it would be true of those at least in the lower ranks. Questioning would be seen as being disloyal. Though too often we take honest questions and pose them to people who don't know, and don't have the authority to change it if they did know. Ya know?

16. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

I knew a few people that attended HAC and I also had the opportunity to visit the campus. The classes I visited seemed to resemble Junior church/Sunday school. If you want an easy degree and fall into the trap of legalism, attend HAC.

17. TheWinDork

TheWinDork New Member

18. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

WinDork,

I cannot understand why you continue to openly attack someone who is dead. May I remind you that the root of bitterness affects many around you and drives them away. Get over it my brother you cast a bad image of your own name and many others as well.

thjplgvp

Whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of a good report if their be any virtue, if there be any praise think on these things.

19. TheWinDork

TheWinDork New Member

Sir, the ONLY people I attack are those who are Criminals and those who preach false doctrines! FBC of Hammond, Indiana is a cesspool of False Doctrines, Shallow Salvation and Criminal Activity. and I shall FOREVER Expose this and many other False Christian and Baptist CULTS for what they are.

Any person that has a so-called Public Ministry and is using it to decieve millions is not above rebuke... and that my friend, is what David Cloud does, and is what I do and will continue to do, for many years to come.

Good day.

-WTD

20. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

You don't understand why anyone would? Jack Hyles still has cult followers carrying on his tradition. Those people are blinded by his works. I see a root of love warning God's people, rather than a root of bitterness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.