1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hyles the Preacher

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by bobbyd, Jan 20, 2006.

1. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

*DISCLAIMER: This is by no means an attack on Jack Hyles, and that is not the intention of my post...i'm hoping to see some discussion on the "art" of preaching develop.

I was recently listening to some sermon tapes of Jack Hyles preaching that a friend of mine let me borrow.
    Although i did enjoy the message and did get something out of it, i had a hard time because he seemed to do a lot of sniffing, snorting and coughing; almost on a regular basis.

My questions:
    Should a preacher be aware of such mannerisms, and should he do something about them?

And does such mannerisms (or any annoying mannerisms on the part of the preacher) hinder you from hearing the message?

And please, don't beat up on Jack Hyles, that isn't my intention.

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Yes I think we should be aware of such things and try to correct them. Watching yourself on tape is a good way of realizing these things and trying to stop them. When I first started preaching I would find myself playing with the change or keys in my pocket or playing with anything that was on the pulpit. I had to break myself of that because I felt it could be distracting to those in the congregation and it was distracting to me as well.

They do at times. I think we should do our best to remove anything that could possibly distract people from the message of God's Word.

3. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    bobbyd,

I want to tell you and emphatic "yes;" any kind of mannerisms, even physical problems are and can be a terrible detractor for a preacher. And a lot of times he does not even realize it.

This may me a personal pet peave (sp?) of mine!? But, I teach Public Speaking and I always grade hard on the "uhs" & "ums" & "you knows" & and such "whisker words" in the young people whom I teach. I went so far as to bring a tape to class where I had preached for the students to critique. I told them afterwards "to let me have it!" One girl listened very intently to see if I had any "uhs" or "ums" or such. She declared that I did not do it once. Granted, we have to beat certain things out of ourselves in order to get over them. But, most of the time the loving voice of a good woman can help!

There is a very famous TV & Radio preacher, that if I called his name all of us would know well. About every 5th or 6th sentence he says; "LISTEN!" He does it over and over again and again. It becomes so aggravating, maybe b/c I teach speech. But, sometimes it is hard for me to get anything from his sermons at all. And he is a great Bible teacher.

For what it is worth!

sdg!

rd

4. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    bobbyd,

Just a follow up observation. With the video presentation and watching of ourselves on tape you might want to add:

A good level of graduate and/or seminary homiletics would certainly not hurt. A lot of us have never been taught how to preach. We think that good preaching is "stomp and snort!" That is the way our hero preacher did it and that is how we are going to do it; regardless!!!!

sdg!

rd

5. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

Hyles actually did have a throat problem. Several years ago he got a lot of mileage out of the tests the doctors did on his throat. I must have heard him preach the same sermon a dozen times about how the doctor put the light down his throat....yada....yada....yada.

Hyles was good at theatrics and stretching the truth for purpose of illustration.

6. shannonL

shannonL New Member

I know one thing some people do. Sometimes a fellow will put himself down or say something derrogative about himself or what he is about to say. You should always be confident when preaching God's word. I don't mean arrogant but you can be sure because the message is sure.
    I don't like to say "Here is what I'm trying to get you to understand" Well this sounds better doesn't it: "Here is what you need to understand".

Always remember the 3 laws of homiletics :

Stand up, Speak up and then Shut up.

7. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The "early Hyles" was a much different preacher than the "later Hyles," who had, as has been pointed out, a throat problem. The "early Hyles" was extremely effective, and I can still quote a couple of his outlines from messages I heard over 30 years ago. And he preached exegetical as well as topical messages in those days, contrary to popular opinion.

So to answer your question, yes, a preacher should learn to be aware of his mannerisms and try to correct them. However, sometimes that is impossible, especially if it is a physical condition.

In my own case, about 10 years ago I began to have a terribly itchy nose, especially when I was under stress, such as when I preached. My wife and I use to joke that the Devil made my nose itch when I was getting through to the people! However, the truth was that I had developed a skin disease called Rosacea, in which the entire face is affected, but the nose especially itches. I'm on medicine constantly for it these days, and the Devil no longer bothers my nose! :D

The most important element in preaching, though, is the anointing of the Holy Spirit. I have heard a brilliant orator preach with no results, and a stumbling oaf (on occasion my own self) preach with souls saved and lives changed! I had much rather be an untrained man like Spurgeon or Moody who saw great things happen for God than a brillian orator who saw no one saved.

The ideal preacher, though, is the one who is both an orator and filled with the Spirit--R. G. Lee preaching "Payday Someday!" They say that man would actually read and memorize the dictionary--not to mention the Bible, of course! [​IMG]

8. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

Our wives are usally our most faithful critics. If our pride will let us, we should accept any criticism we get about our "stage" presence. I have run through the gamut of habits through the years. I usually overcome one to gain another. It is a constant battle to try to present our message with no distractions. God blesses, "the foolishness of preaching," not foolish preaching!

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen, Mike.

Concerning shannonL's "3 laws of homiletics: Stand up, Speak up and then Shut up." I once asked Fred Brown, a wonderful evangelist, how long he thought you should preach. His answer: "Ten minutes shorter than I do! I usually preach 40 minutes."

Lee Roberson, still preaching in his 90's, usually preaches precisely 30 minutes, but John R. Rice often preached more than an hour. And nobody ever stopped listening when they preached! Their content, delivery, passion and anointing was always on target, which is why all three of these men (Fred Brown included) were greatly used of God.

10. Charles E.Smith

Charles E.Smith New Member

I don't know when the last time you heard Lee Roberson was, but now he usually preaches 15-20 minutes which I guess is because thats as long as he's comfortable being on his feet at 96. My sister said that for that reason he was her favorite chapel preacher at HAC. Don't ask about Dennis Corle though, he'd usually make everyone late for lunch!

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, it's been a few years since I heard Dr. Roberson. It would still be special to hear him preach just 15 minutes. John R. Rice also in his last year would just preach a few minutes. His last message was only about 10 minutes, preached from a wheel chair, but it was sweet.

12. Mapipe

Mapipe Member
    Site Supporter

I think a problem that a lot of preachers have is knowing when to quit. Some will repeat and repeat to the point that you think that he must think that his congregation is stupid.

13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I dunno' about this one. I do know that my own pastor had to have surgery, a year and a half ago and was itching to get back into the pulpit the following Sunday after the doctor cleard him to speak that Wednesday night, which he did. (His voice was not affected, but he was not allowed to move his arms after shoulder surgery.) He said he was planning to preach the usual 25-30 minutes or might even go 10 minutes more or so. I suggested he consider one point. - The most effective sermon recorded in Scripture consists of a total of eight words and was preached off a street corner. Folks, Think about it! [​IMG]

I once also heard that were four steps for good preaching- Stand up!, Speak up!, Shut up! and Sit down! He added that if necessary, you could leave out the first three! :eek: [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Ed [​IMG]

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The preacher's prayer: "Lord, fill my mouth with useful stuff, and nudge me when I've said enough!" :D

15. JustPassingThru

Site Supporter

I've heard bad sermons, and I've heard short sermons, but I've never heard a bad, short sermon! [​IMG]

16. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

JPT

I know you were just joking abut never hearing a short sermon that was bad. I sure have heard both long and short bad ones. I have jeard both long and short good ones too. Someone above mailed it, it is all about the anointing of the Spirit. It has very little to do with you or me. We can allow our flesh to get in the way or be a distraction, but, if God use use an ass to proclaim Hos word effectively he certainly is not going to be hindered by you or me!