1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

hymn music style....

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by gekko, Sep 29, 2005.

1. gekko

gekko New Member

hello everybody!

has anybody heard the hymn "nothing but the blood" been played to the tune of "crash" - by dave matthews band?

first time i heard it. wow. amazing. fits so well. expecially with piano and guitars goin' at it. when i heard it, i could feel the Holy Spirit moving soo much! should try it sometime!

have a great day all! once i get a chance to record it, then i'll try and put it on here... probably won't be for a few months though...

2. tenor

tenor New Member

Gekko,

Sounds interesting. I'd like to hear it and decide for myself. I must admit, I'm not that familiar with The Dave Matthew's Band.

While it is true that many hymn texts will with other song, there is often an association that interferes with the hymn new text/tune "marriage" really working. it can be a good novelty and fun, but not truly edifying. I don't is true for all such combinations.

One that's fun but doesn't work is to sing "Amazing Grace" to the tune of "Ghost Riders in the Sky" it fits, but there is no way to get away from "Yippi-Ay-a Yippi-ay-o."

Tim

3. Brice

Brice New Member

Gekko,

You always bring interesting twists to the table. Although not everyone agrees with you, your attempt to open the eyes of others to the younger christian circle is great. I hope you keep posting here so we can get new insights from you. God bless and keep your eyes on God.

Brice

4. gekko

gekko New Member

thanks brice.

may God bless the socks off ya feet bro'.

5. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

"Amazing Grace" can also be sung to the tune of "Gilligan's Island" as well as "House of the Rising Sun" by the Zombies. I never thought about it till now, but I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work the other way around.

I think I have too much time on my hands. [​IMG]

6. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

My all time favorite is "Jesus Loves Me" to the tune of "The Flintstones"

7. jaded_chaos

jaded_chaos New Member

I've been raised Baptsit but I'm away at college so I've been attending a Methodist church with my friends, which I really enjoy. They have worship/praise songs projected on a, well, projector and a group of people up front singing and playing different instruments. The service is full of praise and worship, and I can really feel God's presence there much more then I ever have at some other churches where we just open a book and sing regular hymns. That could be though because of my youth and because this church actually has people my age there and there's energy going on, churches I went to growing up were primarily older people and my mind would often wonder from boredom. That can't happen here where the music is fun and full of love for God, and the sermons are full of knowledge I can use in my own life to praise God throughout the week. Its awesome!

BTW I'm new here, sorry for the rambling.

8. jaded_chaos

jaded_chaos New Member

Ah! I posted in the wrong thread! *runs away*:p I guess I should pay more attention!

I've never head that but it sound interesting.

9. gekko

gekko New Member

i like "Jesus loves me" (with some different lyrics) to the tune of 'december' by collective soul.

10. Pete

Pete New Member

Give an old man a heart attack :eek: I'm not allergic to fiddling with tunes now and then, but Amazing Grace to Ghost Riders or Gilligan's Island IS going a bit over-board (no Gilligan pun intended...)

I have no problem with Amazing Grace done to tune of House Of The Rising Sun, as long as it isn't in The Animals style. Done softly on acoustic guitar (or a truckload of effects to soften electric guitar) it sounds good.

For years mum told me the story of one of my brothers doing Isaac Watts' Alas! and did my Savior bleed to tune of House Of The Rising Sun when he was a young bloke and getting blasted for it. So about 4-5 years ago I had the opportunity to get with him in Church we were attending at the time and did it with us singing and just myself on acoustic guitar. Very small traditional congregation all loved it [​IMG]

It just hit me, maybe that's why a lot of modern writers go for weird syncopated rhythms, so you are stuck with whatever "music" they give you for the song? :D

If you manage to find a hymnal in a museum somewhere ( :rolleyes: ), pick it up and see if it has an index of songs by meter. Have a read through the list for songs in Common Meter (CM - 86.86), then experiment away. Be warned though, if I ever hear of anyone doing While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks By Night to tune of House Of The Rising Sun (even softly) I'll come looking for them! :mad: [​IMG]

Going back a few months ago I was almost going to start a CM thread, maybe I should get a round to it [​IMG]

11. tenor

tenor New Member

Just because something "fits" doesn't mean it should be used. If someone misunderstood me as saying that, I apologioze for the misunderstanding.

I have used some "alternate settings" in fellowship and youth situations, but not in the more formal worship times.

If you look at it "Amazing Grace" and "Joy to the World" are the same meter, but they are not transferrable due the poetic accent (poetic feet).

BTW, I am very much a hymnal user and am very intimate with the indicies.

Have a great day.

Tim

12. Pete

Pete New Member

tenor, yup [​IMG] heh heh that line about Ghost Riders just gave me nightmares ;)

My "dig a hymnal up in museum line" wasn't aimed at you, it's just now and then there are some around the board who would probably think that not only is Amazing Grace to Ghost Riders a great idea, but that "Yippi-Ay-a Yippi-ay-o" is the theological high point... [​IMG] :D

13. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Greetings from the Commonwealth:

Of course we just had to try that here in Richmond. While singing the words to the tune of "Amazing Grace" to the theme from Gilligan's Island made us laugh, we had aneurysms from all the laughing as we sang to the "House of the Rising Sun." That is absolutely HILARIOUS!

"..........Was blind but now I see."
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Thanks for that one: I had an absolutely horrendous day, and it was good to laugh at that.

God's Blessings to you and yours,
    BiR

14. PASTOR MHG

PASTOR MHG New Member

We do a great deal of preaching in the prisons hear in california, and it is sometimes difficult to "break the ice" with the men in prison chapel service. We have been doing the Gilligans Island thing for a few years now...it always puts a smile on everyones face, and eases the tension.

God Bless,
    Max

15. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In most hymnals there is a listing call METRICAL INDEX. It lists poems by meter - and then tunes where that pattern fits.

Amazing Grace
    There is a Fountain
    O For a Thousand Tongues
    All Hail the Power

ALL have the same meter and may be sung to various tunes. 8686 is very common.

Take this lovely poem I wrote in jr. high in 8686

The Lord on high looked from above
    And saw me very blue
    He said "You need someone to love"
    And so He sent me you.

Stress the bold and you end up with 8 "beats" in the first line, 6 in the second - ta da ta da ta da ta da

(and if you need a little romance tonight, borrow the poem. Yrrrrr welcome.)