1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Hypostatic Union

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JonC, May 1, 2024.

?
  1. Is revealed in the union of two natures, without mixture or separation (100% God/100% man)

10 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Jesus has two seperate natures, one fully (100%) God and one fully (100%) man (50% God/50% man)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. CJP69

CJP69 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are the veritable fount of tautological gobbledygook.

EVERYTHING theological is philosophical - everything - by definition.

2. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 2:1, . . . Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things. . . .

3. CJP69

CJP69 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Saying it doesn't make it so.

I'd wager that, in your use of the word here, the term "infinitely" has no actual meaning.

However, if by this you mean that God is unsearchable wise, absolutely just, and in all other ways as righteous as it is possible to be, then this point is not in dispute.

You, it seems, are the ignorant one. The doctrine of immutability does not merely apply to any particular part of God but to the complete whole (do a Google search for the term phrase "Divine Simplicity" - maybe you'll learn something about the doctrines you've blindly adopted.) There can be no change, of any sort, for any reason, in any way whatsoever or else, according to Aristotle and Plato (and then Augustine, Luther and Calvin), God would no longer be perfect in whatever way He changed.

It is utterly complete stupidity and it is THE foundation of the ridiculous philosophical hoop jumping that this thread is a terrific example of. Everyone trying to thread the needle in just such a way that they can trick their own minds into believe that God didn't change at all when He BECAME a man AND died AND rose from the dead.

4. CJP69

CJP69 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 7:24 Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment.”

I Corinthians 6:2 Do you not know that the saints will judge the world? And if the world will be judged by you, are you unworthy to judge the smallest matters? 3 Do you not know that we shall judge angels? How much more, things that pertain to this life?​

• Like Like x 1
  5. CJP69

CJP69 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not believe you.

6. CJP69

CJP69 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The doctrine of original sin is blasphemy and it cannot survive even a surface reading of Ezekiel 18, not to mention the countless other passages that teach us that God is just.

7. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Huh. A spelling error. Infinititly was spelled wrong.

8. CJP69

CJP69 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't care about that and it was not what I was referring to.

I meant what I said. I find it very likely that, if pressed, you could not coherently tell anyone what the word "infinitely" means in the statement "God is infinitely good." At best, your use of the term means the same thing as "amazingly" or "ineffably" or whatever other superlative you wanted to use. As such, the claim in not in dispute.

9. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God does not have parts.
    Deuteronomy 6:4.

10. CJP69

CJP69 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, yes He does, but that WAS NOT the point!

Are you seriously not able to follow your own logic?

You are the one who implied that God has parts!

The doctrine of immutability does NOT restrict itself to the issue of God's goodness, to use your terminology (see post 39).

I never suggested that it impacted His goodness in any way! I simply stated that the incarnation contradicts the doctrine of immutability, which very explicitly is about God not changing IN ANY WAY WHATSOEVER!!!!

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    For you, perhaps.

I seriously doubt anybody who uses philosophy as theology can be a Christian.

The reason is that, by definition, philosophy based on human understanding with an anthropocentric focus (whether human existence or human reality).

Philosophy is the "rational, abstract, and methodical consideration of reality as a whole or of fundamental dimensions of human existence and experience".

Christ died for me. That is not philosophical.

You may turn it into a philosophy, of course, but it is not, in itself, philosophy.

But it is theological.

To borrow from Another, the difference is leaning on one's understanding and leaning on God's words.

12. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can be wrong if you want.

You think I am wrong.

One point or more.

You pick one point where you believe I am wrong.

We can discuss that one first.

13. CJP69

CJP69 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ME? I don't have anything to do with it! What are you even talking about?

Do you understand what an "argument from definition" is?

No one asked me what the definitions of the terms "theology" and "philosophy" are. Theology is literally a branch of philosophy.

That's got to be the most mindless thing anyone has said to me in I don't know how long!

What are you even doing here if you don't have any better understanding of such simple English words?

Every single solitary truth claim you make is a philosophical statement!

That includes that last sentence that I just wrote and this sentence that you're reading right now!

There isn't any other kind of philosophy. Every truth claim you make, whether theological, astronimical, meteorological, scientific or social are all philosophical statements that are themselves based on other philosophical precepts including such things are the existence of God and His nature.

The term abstract doesn't belong in that sentence, at least not as an absolute. Mathematics is philosophy.
    Also, human existence either happens within God's creation or it does not. Virtually every claim or observation you can make concerning human existence is made with the answer to that question presupposed.

Of course it is. It's quintessentially philosophical. It is one of the most foundational precepts of all the Christian worldview.

Even this claim of yours that it isn't is a philosophical statement!

And as such is philosophical - by definition.

You cannot read God's word without your own understanding. You cannot fathom the meaning of a single syllable of the bible without the use of your own mind.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, you.

It depends on how one defines "theology". Some, particularly secular institutions, define theology as a branch of philosophy.

Theology - a philosophically oriented discipline of religious speculation.

Others make a distinction between theology as a study of God and "philosophical theology".

And yet others (paticularly when theology is narrowed to Christianity) draw a distinction.

Some understand theory to be strictly systematic theology. Others theology proper. Others historical theology.

Historical theology, for example, is the study of theological development throught history. I can see how this is a type of history. But philosophy? No.

So yes, for you.

You are confusing philosophy with comprehension. Philosophy does not mean "using your mind".

When I read TS Elliot I am using my mind. But I am not doing philosophy. That said, depending on the work, I could.

That said, of your theology "an oriented discipline of religious speculation", then yes....you are using philosophy (and we all do on some things).

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since you are trying to define philosophy as everything, Lewis' illustration about the foolishness of philosophical concentration came to mind.

Philosophy often seeks to incorporate everything, and in so doing becomes a meaningless nothing.

But to better address your concern-

In theology, and among most theologians, the difference is drawn between philosophy and theology for a reason.

So it depends on which direction you come from.....from philosophy or theology.

16. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Like Like x 2
  17. CJP69

CJP69 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The difference being that you make claims while I make arguments and present evidence.

I've already done that.

18. CJP69

CJP69 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Stupidity.

Do you always just make up your own facts to suit whatever mindless thing you've said that someone is challenging you on?

Speculation?

Theology is religious philosophy - period. Speculative or otherwise, it doesn't matter.

This isn't only true of theology but of ANY area of study. The search for truth is philosophy. The very idea that there is truth to search for is philosophy in its most nascent state.

Yes, just as theology is a branch of philosophy, there are branches of theology as well. There is Christian theology and Mormon theology and Branch Davidian theology and Hindu theology and Buddhist theology, etc. Within each of those there are still tighter fields of study. In Christianity theology, there is soteriology which has to do with the doctrines surrounding the issue of salvation.

ALL OF THAT IS PHILOSOPHY!!!! By definition!

It makes no difference what name you give it. It is philosophy.

Studying historical theology is to study the history of religious philosophy.

No! I have nothing to do with it. Not everything is a matter of opinion!

I am not stupid!

Philosophy is the use of your mind to study fundamental questions about existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language. Philosophy seeks to understand and explore topics such as the nature of reality, the meaning of life, the principles of morality, the limits of human understanding, and the foundations of knowledge.

Philosophy is divided into several branches, including metaphysics (the study of reality and existence), epistemology (the study of knowledge and how we come to know things), ethics (the study of morality and values), logic (the study of valid reasoning), aesthetics (the study of beauty and art), and political philosophy (the study of government and society).

I never suggested any such thing.

You seriously need to just stop. You're making yourself look like an idiot.

19. CJP69

CJP69 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have made no such attempt.

That is a very philosophical statement!

Most of the time that reason is because they wish to accept the irrational as true. An act, which is itself an act which is based on their epistemology (i.e. their philosophy of knowledge).

Stupidity!
    ALL theology is philosophy! All of it!

You will never show me one single exception.

20. CJP69

CJP69 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Chalcedonian Christology asserts that Jesus Christ has two natures, one divine and one human, united in one person (hypostasis). The doctrine affirms that Jesus is fully God and fully human simultaneously, without confusion, change, division, or separation in his divine and human nature.

In short, a firm affirmation of the first option in the pole and just as self-contradictory. A thing cannot be united and be both "without division" and "without separation". It would likewise be impossible to "become" something and do so "without change".

Use all the fancy terminology you like to dress it up and make it feel intellectual. That fact remains that there is no such thing as a self-contradictory truth.

I wonder if Jon C considers Chalcedonian Christology to be philosophical in nature?