1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hypothetical question

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by tonyhipps, Jan 10, 2009.

1. tonyhipps

tonyhipps New Member

If you were looking for say, a Youth Minister for your church and a MDiv was a prerequisite.

Would you consider someone with a M.Div degree from a Christian University that was accredited through DETC?

Thanks

2. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

Actually I would rather have a person without a degree at all that was dedicated to preaching thr word of God to our children and that he has good moral character. I'm sorry but degrees are very over rated in my opinion. There are many fantastic preachers out there without a piece of paper. Man want's you to have that paper not God. I approve this message. LOL:saint:

3. tonyhipps

tonyhipps New Member

I understand what your saying hawg427, and I appreciate that, but in this hypothetical question, a M.Div is a prerequisite.

Would you consider a candidate who has a degree accredited through DETC?

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Depends on the school. Some very good schools are ATS or RA accredited, while some schools that are standing apart from orthodoxy are, too. Some NA or DETC accredited schools would fit the same mold, as would some unaccredited schools.

I would not necessarily make an M.Div prerequisite for a Youth minister. Most youth ministry programs are not M.Div but MA. Depends on the school and the composition of the program.

5. Carolina Baptist

Carolina Baptist Active Member

I don't know anything about DETC, but I looked it up on the Department of Education website. They are recognized by DoE.

6. tonyhipps

tonyhipps New Member

Thanks for the replies.

I see what you're saying about a youth minister, so for arguments sake, lets say you were searching for an Associate Pastor instead.

If I'm not mistaken ATS (Association of Theological Schools) is the best national accrediting body for seminaries. Then I think the next best is ABHE (Association for Biblical Higher Education), and then TRACS (Transnational Association Of Christian Colleges and Schools).

DETC is an accrediting body recognized by DoE for online schools, but it not a exclusively theological.

One school they accredit teaches photography, another gemology, and another intelligence/counter-terrorism.

So if you were searching for an Associate Pastor, and the congregation insisted that the candidate have a M.Div degree, would he be considered if the school he graduated from was accredited by DETC.

Sorry for all the fuss. But what say you.

Tony