1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I new here so I need help

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Joe Gofish, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Joe Gofish

Joe Gofish New Member

I ask this on another borad he and was told to ask it here and I'm still trying to find my way around here here is my question. Its on REV 22:18-19 "For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
    19: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Can some one help me with this verse, is this verse talking about all the Bible or just the Book of Rev.

2. epistemaniac

epistemaniac New Member

I think it refers to John's Apocalypse... but we have other such warnings against adding to the text, Deut. 4:2, 12:32; Prov. 30:6, Jer 26:2.... it seems the important point is not to add to any writing that has come from a designated prophet or God.....

3. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

The "Bible Knowledge Commentary" edited by Walvoord&Zuck reflect that these verses refer to just Rev.22:18-19. The KJ Commentary indicates it refers to the whole Bible.These are both very conservative commentaries each with a different view.

4. Joe Gofish

Joe Gofish New Member

Thank you for your answer and maybe that is why I'm so cofused.REV I think was written in about 90-100ad,was the bible put together as a book at that time ?

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was the bible, as we know it, canonnized (sp.?) when The Revelation was written? No. When The Revelation was written, the books of the bible had not been compiled yet into a Holy Spirit-authoritative list.

So, by that fact alone, Rev. 22:18-19 is strictly speaking about John's revelation.

What else is evidence for this? The words of the verses themselves.....

..."For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, if any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

...And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book."

The entire bible is not a prophetic work.

What is the this book? It is John's revelation.

Now, with that being said, I do believe that even though this warning that applies stricity to The Revelation, that the spirit of it can be also applied to the bible in it's entirety.

Why?

Another poster has given you scripture in Deuteronomy, Proverbs, and Jeremiah that says that God's Word is not to be diminished or "changed".

All in all, God's Word is not to be corrupted.

Period. From Genesis to The Revelation.

Peace-
    Scarlett O.
    <><

6. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Scarlett makes a good point about prophesy, although some equate prophesy with teaching.

Regardless, the Bible as we know it did not exist when John wrote these words.

I suppose God could have inspired the words in advance, but then to which Bible is this referring? There have been many versions in the past (I don't mean interpretations or languages, but combinations of books).

Also, what does it mean to add to these things? Some translations, especially the expanded ones, add so many words and so much speculation in their interpretations that they (IMO) completely misinterpret the Bible in places. Are the translators and/or publishers going to suffer the plagues written in Revelation?

What about all the people here, including me, who explain verses by adding words to them (although I try to put my additions in [] brackets to make sure people know they represent my interpretation, not a rewrite of the Bible)? Are we all going to suffer the plagues? I hope not.

Regardless, I think it refers to Revelation.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I always assumed it was dealing with the close of the NT canon, and all prophecy therein. If Jesus used the words "this book" during John's vision (when Revelation was not written yet), couldn't this have been a statement made from God's foreknowledge in regards to the entire Bible as well?

8. genesis12

genesis12 Member

It is EZ to conclude that we are all in danger, if the warning is to be taken literally. However, we have God's promise that those who are born again remain that way, right on into eternity, AND, since it specifically names adding plagues, it can't be talking about a loss of some rewards. It's a difficult passage. Since prophecy does not refer solely to foretelling the future, but includes as well simply sharing information, it becomes even more difficult. During a class on the book of Revelation I sat behind a quite elderly lady. The margins in her Book of Revelation, top, bottom, sides, center, were absolutely, totally, covered with tiny, inked notes. It was obvious that they had been there for a long time. There was literally no space, anywhere, to add another note! Was she "adding to" or "taking away from"? I refrained from marking up Revelation until the last year or so. Now I've started. One day we'll have the answer ~~ just wish it were today!