1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I Peter 1:5

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salamander, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Salamander

Salamander New Member

So then by my having faith I am righteous, though I have never accepted Christ?

If believing is accounted as righteousness/ faith, even the devils are righteous. They believe and tremble at the word, but they are still devils.

Anyone else see the danger of what yall are saying?

2. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Very good, and our salvation isn't yet complete for I still have a robe of flesh that must drop to the ground before I receive that "robe" of righteousness. But our faith isn't what accounts to our righteousness in and by itsself, it must incorporate the faith of God imparted to us to be a completed action.

Jam 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

If faith isn't a gift, then where did our faith originate?

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

From a person who says he "knows" he is saved but he don't believe that he "knows" he is saved, an attack like this just don't mean much. :applause:

Let me see if I can figure out what Salamander is saying. If Christ has faith that He is Christ then it saves Salamander without Salamander having any faith? Is that what he is saying. He already says that he don't believe that he knows that he is saved, so maybe that is what he is saying, I truthfully am not able to figure out what he is saying, but sounds like Christ must have his faith for him to be saved. :confused: :confused:

#23 Brother Bob, Mar 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2007
  4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Huh? :confused:
    We can only accept Christ through faith. We can't accept Him by works, so what do you mean?
    Me thinks you don't know the difference. I believe that an airplane can fly...I've seen them, but if I never get on a plane due to fear of it not flying, I have no faith in the plane, even though I believe they do fly.
    Did Christ die for mankind, or demons?
    What danger? :confused:

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Maybe someone is "siping" (sic) ? but it is not me, although I could use a [​IMG] right now, being a bit thirsty.

It is fine to make the comment about context, but it appears that someone else is [​IMG] away at context, as I read it, anyway.
    We are indeed already begotten (aorist tense) to "a living hope" that is "kept by the power of God" in the bank, as it were. And I am agreeing fully, with that, for that is what Scripture is saying.

However, there is also a looking into the future, and the two uses, here, of the phrase "the revelation of Jesus Christ", in the passage, I have quoted, serve to confirm this as well. The phrase "ready to be revealed in the last time" can only modify "salvation". So there is at least some sense, in which this is future.

I may have phrased this in a somewhat confusing way, before, but did not think I did. But I shall try again. Perhaps this will make it a bit clearer.

There is but one "eternal salvation", certainly. And there is only one 'once for all time' sacrifice of the Lord Jesus Christ, on Mt. Moriah, as well. But there is more than one "tense" of this salvation. There is the past tense, in that " we have been saved" (Eph. 2:5,8), and that from the penalty of sin; the present tense in that "we are being saved" (I Cor. 1:18), and that from the power of sin; and the future tense, in that "we shall be saved" (Rom. 5:10), and that from the presence of sin. And the quoted text partially bears this out, at least as to the past tense and future tenses in view, here. One eternal salvation - yet in three 'tenses'.

Ed

#25 EdSutton, Mar 23, 2007
  6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Which one? The Institutes of the Christian Religion, or more likely, The Canons of Dort? If it is 'straight out of the Bible' I'm sure you can find at least some Scriptures that make this statement, or at least, to back it up.

I would not necessarily disagree with this, for, as I said, either the construction of "faith in Christ", or "faith of Christ" is permissible, here.

I'll agree up to the "but only" bit; I wanna' see a verse or two that says the last part of your sentence. By "imparted faith", I am assuming you mean that God gives 'some' the faith to "be able to believe", while not giving this to others. OK, I guess, but do you have any Scripture that says this? And please don't cite Eph. 2:8, for the Greek grammar simply will not support that, there.

("Please capitalize 'Calvinist'!" Signed, Language Cop)

I have never said either Calvin nor (any) Calvinists were "wrong about everything", by any stretch. But, FTR, I am neither a "flower child", in that I don't sprout TULIPs, nor do I believe any of the "five Points" of the Remonstrants (Arminians), either.

I believe I am not the one who may be confused, here. One has to "add baggage" to the words 'faith' and 'believe' to make this distinction, as one is merely the verb form (believe) and the other the noun form (faith) of the same Greek root word. The question here is the "object" of faith, not the supposed "content" of faith. The Biblical point is "believe/faith in/on Jesus Christ or God" as various Scriptures declare (Jo. 3:16, 36; 6:47; Ac. 16:31, Ro. 4:3-5, 22-24; Gal. 2:16; et.al.).

Ed

#26 EdSutton, Mar 23, 2007
  7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

You might want to re-read Rom. 3:21 - 4:25, before asking these questions.
    I certainly do "see the danger of what ya'll are saying", here.

As to where I stand, as webdog asked, "What danger?"

Ed

#27 EdSutton, Mar 23, 2007
  8. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Neither
    Romans 12:3

¶For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think [of himself] more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.
    By whose "permission"?

Sorry, but I will not comply, for I do not recognize the doctrinal stance of calvin, nor calvinists in regards to "two-lipped" theologies.

Hmmm? Explain.

I almost agree completely, though simple belief isn't salvation.

Though I have always believed in God since my awareness as a young child, of life in general, I had not always been a believer who has demonstrated faith unto salvation.

I firmly believe faith is the seed in which God planted through the hearing of preaching into the hearts of all men: whether audiby or through creation itsself.

It is then up to me alone to excercise that measure of faith to then receive the free gift of grace through faith to become a child of God. This is called regeneration from being once dead in tresspasses and sins but now quickened by the Spirit .
    Rom 10:14¶How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
    Rom 10:15
    And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
    Rom 10:16
    But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report? Rom 10:17
    So then faith [cometh] by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Isn't the Scripture very plain?

Faith only comes through hearing the Word of God and the Word of God came from God didn't it?

This may be too simple for some who may be educated higher than their intelligence. (pun intended)

#28 Salamander, Mar 24, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2007
  9. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Seems yall are adding faith as if it is a work necessary for salvation.

Abraham wasn't saved until he received Christ, but it seems yall are saying he was.

I was asking "tongue-in-cheek".

10. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Never quit beating a dead horse do you?

To know something is certainly to believe it for what knowledge is there that doesn't incorporate belief?

( Personal attack deleted ) it is really very simple.

#30 Salamander, Mar 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2007
  11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

So, finally, you agree that you believe that you know you are saved, which in reality is the only way it can be.

All you had to do was say this from the start and that would of been the end of it.

Except the last line continuing the remarks.

#31 Brother Bob, Mar 24, 2007
  12. Salamander

Salamander New Member

WARNING:
    Post to the topic or don't post at all.
    This entire post was a personal attack and therefore was deleted.

#32 Salamander, Mar 24, 2007
  13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

[personal attacks and unedifying language deleted]
    I will not be debating you anymore and could say more, but there is a time to just call it quits. Have a good life.

But, you did admit that you believe you know you are saved. :) I suspect that is what is bugging you.

(edit) Being that I don't want to start another response, I will add to this one.

I knew that you love to try and out do someone and that is why I pushed you until you had to admit that your knowledge was based upon what you "believe". So, we end with you having to admit that I was right all along, that "you believe that you know you are saved".
    Salamander; you are easy. I boxed you in a corner all the way, all because of your attitude. If you had of been nice, it would of not been necessary.

Scriptures says their mouths must be stopped and sometimes it takes a while but finally they have to admit the truth as you did. I doubt if you learn anything from it though.

As far as my wife, I usually tell her most of what goes on here. My wife trusts me and I wonder why you would have to ask something like that unless yours don't trust you. Tell you the truth, [edit]
    This way, I can still let you have the last word, unless you want to continue to hijack your own thread.

#33 Brother Bob, Mar 24, 2007
  14. Salamander

Salamander New Member

You should learn what it means for one's belief to become knowledge.

[unedifying comments deleted]
    I will have to admit, I love to bring out the darkside of people like yourself; it gives them a chance to see themselves inwardly so they might not have to answer for their attitudes at the Judgement Seat of Christ in rebuke and loss of reward. It's just the PREACHER in me!

In any case, you might want to remain civil in how you respond to people on the internet. It is your choice if you won't carry on a conversation with me, I find it would be your loss.

I do not appreciate your attempt to hi-jack this thread. Anymore from you on this subject and I will simply ask it to be closed and start another one. [edit]
    Since you want the last word and wish to feel vindicated, here goes, "I suspect that is what is bugging you. "

#34 Salamander, Mar 24, 2007
  15. mima

mima New Member

We are kept by the faith we have in the faith of Jesus Christ. And faith of Jesus Christ consist of what He,The Lord Jesus Christ, has shown back to his Father Almighty God.--- Our salvation does depend on someone's behavior, but that someone is not us either individually or collectively but that someone is the Lord Jesus Christ.

16. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

[quote-BrotherBob]
    So, finally, you agree that you believe that you know you are saved, which in reality is the only way it can be.

All you had to do was say this from the start and that would of been the end of it.

Except the last line continuing the remarks. [/quote]
    :laugh:

Ed

17. Salamander

Salamander New Member

I see the both of you cannot deal with a subject that you have both persistently denied when the Scripture is given.

I never said I didn't believe what I know, the both of you insisted that I thought that way, contrary to anything else anyone could have observed.

Now if either or both of you can tell me if faith isn't imparted to us from the Lord, just where is it we get faith?:praying:

I really don't expect a rational nor a reasonable answer.

18. Salamander

Salamander New Member

You have not added anything to something that was already there. And that was already nothing.

I love the way you congratulate yourself so speedily, but you haven't done any such thing. I know my faith was imparted to me by the Word of God. The Word of God came from God through Divine inspiration. I have an INSPIRED Bible. This is fact, not something I just believe. I base my belief on fact, thus it is no longer simple belief, but KNOWLEDGE. I really don't expect you to understand this, but when light is given it is your duty to walk in it.

If you boxed me into some corner, why is the door of knowledge there wide open?

Why is it you cannot comprehend the difference between knowledge and belief? It must be a mental block.

All I have learned is that you do not know the difference between belief and knowledge according to fact.

It wasn't the "humor", but the element of disgust that was incorporated into your "humor". [edit]
    It's not hijacking my own thread to openly rebuke the instigator of contention in a valid and valuable discussion.

I suppose this is just further effort of yours to dodge the question. You espouse error and I have reproven your error,
    [demeaning langugage deleted]

#38 Salamander, Mar 27, 2007
  19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Medic, medic !!!!!

I been wondering why you use the avatar name of Salamander??

Salamander = [​IMG]

Not without spot or blemish is it. Beady eyes and crawls on its belly, it also has a forked tongue which it can't keep in its mouth hardly at all. I really didn't know what a salamander was, until I looked it up?

So now I know what a Salamander is.

This is a true statement of knowledge from the animal kingdom.

#39 Brother Bob, Mar 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2007
  20. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Bob, better call Mrs. Bro. Bob! You're gonna need that blackbelt!:laugh: :laugh:
    That salamander might bite!