1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

IF A Church Does NOT Support Missions, isnt That Sin?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JesusFan, Nov 4, 2011.

1. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

Ah yes, but you point the finger at me specifically. So, I am representing you honestly.

John

2. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

It doesn't take two minutes to verify. google brookhillschurch.org.

It is utter madness to think that there are NO CHURCHES ON EARTH doing ANYTHING for the GOSPEL.

You'd have to have your head in the sand.

3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

No sir. You said that I have said the JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE IFB you are evil.

That is dishonest. It is bearing false witness against your neighbor. It is sin.

4. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

Go back and re read your posts to me.

And get the beam out of your eye before you call me a sinner, please

John

5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

ok

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John....there are more Mexicans in New Jersey than there are in Mexico. you know who is helping them dont you ....the catholics. So send theme here.....all you need is a car & some barritos!

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea right...then where is yours....dont tell me, I can guess. Brother, you need to take a walk, maybe out of your own little neighborhood of 15 Baptist churches in Podunk Mississippi ......maybe join the military ....work as a chaplin. Get some S on your shoes instead of on your head.

8. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Wait a second, Bro. Are you literally contending that there are no churches on earth doing great things for God?????

If so, maybe you need to follow your own advice.

That is a level of obliviousness that needs addressing.

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now where are you getting that son? Thats not what I said. But as typical of you, your missing the finer points. Maybe go back & read Ky's last post.

But Im probably not being fair to you either..... I know both your own strengths as well as limitations. You want everyone to fit into your round peg & if they are slightly skewed & squared, then you will take that hammer out & beat them into submission & you cant help yourself.

I advise you to step back a moment & reassess. You & some others have taken a good Godly man & badgered him because his own views do not not fit perfectly with yours & ...... BANG, BANG, BANG.

My brother.....In all honesty, know that God is much bigger than that!

10. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

11. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm back, now I gotta start digging, but first I'll make this point:

but sanctify in your hearts Christ as Lord: being ready always to give answer to every man that asketh you a reason concerning the hope that is in you, yet with meekness and fear: 1 Peter 3:15

That's where the saying is derived from. I have on several occasions given answer to those that have asked. I can't help but wonder which has added more to the kingdom, missions or 'one on one'.

12. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because of the Great Commission in Matt., Mark, Luke, John & Acts, any Baptist church that does not seek to obey the Great Commission both at home and around the world, is sinning by directly disobeying the commands of Jesus Christ.

I just came from the International Conference on World Evangelism, and was greatly encouraged about this matter. Almost every message was an exegesis from the Great Commission. This conference emphasizes church planting, and there were men there who had planted multiple churches both in America and other countries. In particular, I was blessed by the preaching and miniistry of Lou Baldwin and his son. Bro. Baldwin founded the Conference on Evangelizing Black America, and has been instrumental in planting 28 churches.

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think about that statement, please. How do you think missionaries reach the world? One on one, friend, one on one.

14. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I don't know what you are talking about. Who have I beat up? I don't hesitate to smash backwards theology with no historical roots which is an obstacle to kingdom progress. But you are being too incoherent for me to have any idea to what you are referring.

15. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I think that's great john. Keep up the good work.

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea....all IFB Church plants......great work John :applause:

17. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I'd say missions. Ultimately one on one falls under that category anyway.

Of course a definition of terms would be helpful at this point. What do you mean by "missions" and what do I mean by it are essential investigations to make progress in this conversation.

Any sincere and biblical effort to fulfill the Great Commission would be what I think of when I think of the term.

18. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Listen, I have nothing against missions. Those of you who do this, may God abundantly bless you on your journies. However, I think that each local church that supports missions, should start in their community first. Its like whenever another country needs help, such as Haiti after the earthquake, and Japan, too. Look at all the money that was sent there. I am not saying to NOT help them, but we have hungry kids here that need food, and the money sent to those countries could be used to feed them. Charity starts at home, and then what is left over can be given elsewhere. This country is in a sad condition, and the Great Commission for each local church should start in their community first.

19. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Just as Jesus said, Jerusalem first, then Judea, then Samaria, then the whole world.

In most cases, though, it doesn't have to be either/or. We've had members do overseas missions; this summer three members went to East Tennessee; another went 25 miles to participate in a mission project.

Our church contributes to a Cooperative Ministry both monetarily and with food goods. We're not even members of this ministry, but their Food pantry supplies a real need. We prepare huge boxes of foodstuffs to give away at Christmas time.

In addition, as Southern Baptists, we include Associational missions, and the Cooperative Program in our budget; support the Lottie Moon and Annie Armstrong offerings, support the Eliza Broadus offering for Kentucky state missions; and even support our local Crisis Pregnancy Center (pro-life, of course).

Now some ministries get more than others, as the need arises and the Lord leads. But our church, too, starts at home.

20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Biblically speaking, it's not a choice of one or another, or doing one firsts and then the other. The Great Commission in Acts 1:8 says "BOTH in Jerusalem AND Judea...."