1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured If Andy Stanley were the "Evangelical Pope"

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Internet Theologian, Aug 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh ho ho...just when it can't get worse!!

[video]

When ask if Pastors should stop being called shepherds he said "Absolutely!! That word needs to go away."

2. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But without the bible, we have no knowledge of the Christ or His resurrection. I have zero clue why you blokes are trying to defend his unbiblical stance...

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because I think he just misspoke. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't know his heart, and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. He does have a tendency to shoot his mouth off a bit. I'll grant you that.

In other news, in my last post, what was the cause of disagreement? I just offered a plausible, biblically-based explanation, using a spotlight analogy. Unless you think it's unbiblical to imagine the Bible as a means of pointing to Christ, I don't see the connection.

4. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We know Christ via the scriptures. We did not learn about him by reading Aesop's Fables, Mein Kempf, Moby Dick, or any other secular book. To take the focus off of scriptures is to take the focus off of Christ.

Look, this is not a LS frothing at the mouth because someone else disagees with him.

He has teetered upon g@y-affirmation...
    He wants the spotlight off scriptures, which also takes spotlight off Christ..
    He says Pastors should not be called a shepherd...CEO is more apt...

#84 SovereignGrace, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  5. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

Imagine Paul telling this to Timotheus. The Word is so replete with commands as to sticking to the Word, focusing on the Word, preaching the Word that this stance is nothing more than a subtle departure from the faith. There is no Scriptural support for Andy Stanley's position whatsoever, yet people in here are fighting for his cause and his position. LOL!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't help but wonder if everyone's own words were scrutinized to this degree that we all would have said something close enough to being "off" to get crucified for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think about your post here, brother. How exactly would a pastor mean that he would take the spotlight off of the Bible and on Jesus and the Resurrection? The only logical answer (as our knowledge of both Jesus and the Resurrection is based on Scripture) is that Stanley is referring to a Christ centered approach and not ignoring Scripture.

You confirm this in your own post - it is impossible to toss out Scripture and to focus on Christ and the Resurrection. So it is pretty obvious that Stanley is not taking that approach. Yet you continue to insist that somehow the logical interpretation is not the method of which the pastor speaks.

So you tell us...since you reject what some of us see as Stanley's logical intent (the priority of a Christ-centered approach to Scripture), how exactly are you suggesting the pastor is going to focus on Christ and the Resurrection apart from Scripture? If you have no answer, then perhaps you should consider the obvious - that you have misjudged his intent and are approaching the sin of gossip about another child of God.

8. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Words have weight Brother. Pastors are to be held to higher standards as they are shepherds of the local flock. But Mr. Stanley wants to be a CEO and not a shepherd. That is 'Clifford the Big Red Flag.'

9. Internet Theologian

You're over reacting and acting on mere emotion here. Give us some Scriptural support for Stanley's 'take the spotlight off the Bible' for us all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Internet Theologian

One thing duly noted that has come to light with this topic is that many simply are not Sola Scriptura. No wonder our churches are in such a mess.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no gossip...I used his OWN WORDS. How can you, me or anyone else be Christ centered when we take the spotlight off of the very scriptures He inspired???

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Imagine Paul telling a church that he has known nothing among them but Christ and Him crucified. How dare Paul stand before the church and say that he has not known Scripture (the Old Testament), or that he hasn't known Moses and the Law, or Creation, or anything else except Christ and Him crucified.

If you apply the logic of your conclusions here to Paul then you would probably be considered a heretic. I think that you may need to revisit the topic.

13. Internet Theologian

Gossip? Did you say Gossip? You're kiddin' me, Gossip? (said in the tone of Jim Mora)

I'd say someone is clueless as to what Gossip is. You're not gossiping brother, but I note that his words are supported, and you are being falsely accused.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mr. Stanley was the one who said to take the spotlight off of scriptures, not I. How can you tell someone about the Christ and His resurrection by taking the spotlight off of scripture?

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Internet Theologian

'

Your post is non sequitur, that, and I have no desire to have any dialog with you. I'll pass.

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Umm....using someone's own words is not the same as being true to their intent. It is also not the same as refraining from gossip.

To answer your question, it depends on the context. I do not think that Stanley is implying what you seem to want him to imply. My focus is not on Scripture for the sake of focusing on Scripture. I intently study Scripture so that I can know the Object of Scripture, so that I can more deeply know God. I believe that this is what Stanley is saying. His error, IMHO, is that he assumed his words would be taken in a Christian context.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess he uses Aesop's Fables to lead ppl to Christ?

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is not what non sequitur means. Your inability or unwillingness to answer for your position has no effect on the argument itself (you would have done better to have simply remained silent).

19. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And this is the epitome of circular reasoning. To take the focus off of scripture and put it on the Christ, when the only knowledge we have of the Christ is via the scripture. Aye ya ya...

#99 SovereignGrace, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bingo!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.