1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

If Bush could run again...

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by tinytim, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Dagwood

Dagwood New Member

History will show George W. Bush to be the most inept and clueless president of all time. He will be the laughing-stock of all the presidents.

2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I believe future historians will view the Bush 43 years as the beginning of the decline of America. Liberty was attacked from within under the pretext of safety and security, the nation started borrowing itself into bankruptcy while giving huge tax breaks to the wealthiest of the wealthy, jobs were sold off to the lowest bidder overseas, and Americans began to see their economy and lifestyles sink. Decisions by Bush to invade a country that posed no threat to us, rather than pursue those who attacked us, let the perpetrators get away. We lost our moral high ground by embracing torture, thus becoming our own enemy, rather than upholding the dignity of human life. I also believe another attack is inevitable, based upon the fact that this administration squandered the goodwill of the world, replacing it with contempt by our adventures in Iraq.

Unless a new vision of America can take hold in Washington, one that values Americans jobs, health care, dignity, and worth; it can get much worse. We are on the precipice of disaster.

3. Tama

Tama New Member

Ok. I'll meet you back here in 30 years. You will owe me a Coke when I'm right.

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

As usual, I will repeat what I've said before on the subject of Presidents.

Every President in my lifetime, which includes 11 Presidents - Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Lyndon Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, George H.W.Bush, Clinton, and George W. Bush, at their worst, cannot even begin to scuff the shoes of such luminaries of that high office, or approach the depths of incompetency, to the degree that Presidents Fillmore, Pierce, Buchanan, Grant, and Harding achieved, and it is an insult to the 11 occupiers of the Oval Office during my lifetime to even begin to suggest as much!

That is not to say that I agree with most or even much of what any from Kennedy forward have done or attempted, but they were not complete imbeciles and/or worse, like the other five I mentioned.

Saddest of all is probably President U. S. Grant, whose personal scrupulous honesty and most outstanding military acumen was basically equalled by his political lack of such accumen. Had he not had the great military success, he likely could not have been elected to any county office, let alone any national office. Before the Civil War, Grant had basically failed at everything he attempted, outside the military, including as a bill collector, and had to beg his own father for a job as a clerk in his hardware and harness store, just in order to eat!

Ed

#64 EdSutton, Feb 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2008
  5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We've heard that line many times before, but most often in a year that has a 29th of February.

6. Dagwood

Dagwood New Member

Doubt if I'm still around, but if so, it's a deal. :thumbs:

7. Justlittleoldme

Justlittleoldme New Member

I seem to remember the same things being said about Reagan at the end of his office.

Oh, that`s right, you don´t like him either do you?

I`ll check back here in 30 years too with a History book in my hand.

8. Tama

Tama New Member

Make sure the history book is from the Abeka curriculum.

9. Justlittleoldme

I wouldn´t think of bringing any other!:thumbs:

10. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then why wait 30 years?

I can see it now:

"One of the godliest presidents ever, unlike the heathen Bill Clinton. Because of Bush's piety, America was spared from destruction."

11. Tama

Tama New Member

Yeah... I know it! Those darn Christian curriculums!

12. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Those darn "so-called" Christian curriculae.

13. Dagwood

Dagwood New Member

The problem is, history books that Abeka would publish are so one-sided as to almost be fantasy, not history.

14. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

This about a man who said that Moslems and Christians worship the same god and that Moslems will get to heaven but by a different way than Christians? How so?

15. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's not my personal belief. I was satirizing Abeka's historical method.

16. Justlittleoldme

Hey, it looks like we are winning them over to our side one by one! :smilewinkgrin:

17. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not quite. I don't like Clinton or Bush.

For Bush, though, apart from his foreign policy, I don't have any major objections to his policies. I don't agree with him completely, but I think he's done ok. The Iraq War, however, was just bad policy. He should have focused on Afghanistan.

Also, if he were going to go into Iraq, he should have used twice the number of troops.

18. Tama

Tama New Member

And, of course, the secular history books are the bastion of truth, honor and dignity, right?

Are you kidding me??? :BangHead:

19. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most school textbooks are even-handed to the point of being milquetoast. They almost universally refuse to come down clearly in favor of one particular interpretation of an event.

There are major differences among historians on the interpretation of pretty much every historical event. History is an art, not a science. There is no one "correct" answer to questions like "What caused the Civil War?" Instead, we must analyze the historical evidence, attempting to arrive at a suitable conclusion. We must never think, however, that we have "figured it out." We cannot ever do that, for it would require perfect knowledge.

My experience with Abeka's historical curriculum (I went to a Christian elementary/middle school for 8 years) doesn't mean I'm an infallible judge, but everything I've seen tends toward a highly slanted interpretation of history that denigrates alternative interpretations of events. It also has a theological overtone that would make Augustine blush. This ignores the reality that there is no one "Christian" interpretation of history.

20. Justlittleoldme

But then in all fairness you must agree that there is no one "secular" interpretation of history as well.

So then if they can state their take on history and teach it in the public schools, why isn´t okay for us to give ours and teach it in our Christian schools and homes?