1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

If It's Not...

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by gekko, Sep 20, 2006.

1. gekko

gekko New Member

Nevermind the beat or the syncopated rythms.
    ---

If the lyrics aren't glorifying God - why listen to the song?

2. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I happen to like Mary had a little Lamb, Row, Row, Row Your Boat and The Song That Never Ends.
    Do they glorify God? ;)

3. davidgunter

davidgunter New Member

I used to listen to secular music all the time untill I found out about CCM.
    Since that time I only listen to Christian Music. CCM, Gospel Blue Grass, Christian Rock, Christian Folk, etc..

There is a lot of seclar music I still like but I just don't listen to it. I try to fill my ears with things that strengthen me instead.

I thank God for Christian musicians and song writers!

4. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Because it's good music.

Now Playing: Jerry Jeff Walker – "Scamp"

5. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because instrumental music (jazz, for example) doesn't have lyrics.

6. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course, if we are going to stretch back farther,

J.S. Bach dedicated his life and music to the glory of God, even though most of his works did not have vocal parts.

7. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Sometimes secular song lyrics go right to the heart of the problems of everyday life. They may not give biblical solutions to those problems, but that does not mean that their analysis is worthless.

The application of music to life can be as simple or as complicated as someone wants to make it. I enjoy a wide variety of sacred and secular music: classical (both choral and instrumental), jazz, blues, rock, bluegrass, folk, choral anthems, hymns, and Sacred Harp, among others. My father is a well-known composer among Baptists (or, at least he used to be). But, his brother was an arranger and producer in Los Angeles. His most well-known work was with the Four Freshmen in the 50's and 60's.

I keep recordings of Bach, Beethoven, Rachmaninoff, Tchaikovsky, Copland, John Rutter, Neil Young, Randy Newman, Al Kooper, Harry Nilsson, among others. If you're interested in someone who covers a varied range of topics, you might look at Kate Cambell's new CD of hymns and other religious music, For the Living of These Days on her web site www.katecampbell.com.

Music speaks to the human spirit. It can build you up or tear you down. Sometimes you can't explain why a particular song speaks to you. But, just because the theme is not overtly Christian, it is not by definition worthless. It "biblical" is the standard, then you need to quit standing up and saluting when "The Star-Spangled Banner" is played.

Tim Reynolds

8. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbsup: