1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

If the Apostles Came Back in Our Time...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Gershom, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand.

It has been on my mind lately because of a lengthy discussion we had in Sunday School awhile back when we were discussing issues of the apostles interacting with Greek culture and philosophy in the New Testament (the prologue to the Gospel of John, Paul on Mars Hill, etc.). There were some in my Sunday School class who never imagined that the early followers of Jesus knew anything about the broader world than just their local community.

That's true. My experience in Baptist life is that when we do actually preach/teach the Bible, we tend to preach primarily from Paul's writings, interpreting them outside of the context of the teachings of Jesus.

Once I took a few years and focused on the message of Jesus, the writings of Paul opened up to me with a new freshness and focus which beautifully expanded and applied the central teachings of Christ.

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This one church has not assembled yet.

3. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    They would not be allowed in because of facial hair:thumbs:

4. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Impressed or depressed? If they joined the BB they could have Van explain why the greek text they wrote does not mean what it says:laugh:

5. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

:laugh::laugh:

That's funny!

6. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I've often said one of the markers of too many churches that I've visited or known is that they wouldn't have welcomed Jesus of His apostles as members. ;)

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

SBC churches are more autonomous than the IFB churches I have attended. The contradiction is believing that just because a Baptist church is not a member of a Convention it is independent.

Silliness and a delusion.

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Watch out for the personal attacks please.
    The fact that it is not a member of a convention (especially one large enough to be called a denomination in and of itself), is exactly why it is called "independent." An independent church has no forma affiliation with other denominations, conventions, etc.

9. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Wrell, part of it, departed saints, are before the lord in heaven, while rest of thre Body ARE here on earth!

10. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

DHK posted....

DHK...

Are you serious?

11. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Personally, I think they'd ask us why we were arguing so much about the doctrine of salvation while doing so little about trying to get the gospel of salvation out to the world.

I think they'd ask us why we're so sure we have the right church polity and associations, but don't have the power that the Jerusalem church showed on the day of Pentecost and afterwards.

And the snarky side of me thinks that they just might look at our discussions/debates/disagreements and say, "we had those same discussions... we just decided to tell everyone we could about Jesus and let God figure out the mechanics."

12. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

It would be interesting to see them browsing around a Christian bookstore. I wonder what they would think as the flipped through some books? I wonder what would be in their shopping back as they walked out?

13. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

14. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

They would learn as members of BB that mankind has impressed upon scriptures all sorts of meanings, systems and interpretations.

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    DHK - did you see my post in this thread? (post # 7)

I understand your thinking - as I used to parrot what I was taught. Often, when I preach, I have been known to quote the dictionary. When using a word/phrase - we need to know the definition of the word. And if that means changing our (improperly taught) beliefs - so be it.

Also still waiting for an answer to the question I asked you in post # 16.

Salty

#35 Salty, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2011
  16. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

No personal attack, an opinion of your statement based upon facts.

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I have learned much about dictionaries--choosing the definition that best suits our purposes. Word games are fun aren't they?
    Denomination = sect. Sect = cult. Cult = _______. You fill in the blank.

I didn't see a question in post #16
    You last statement is very relative. What is very major to some, might only be minor to others. To use another denomination (the Charismatics), for example, they put their experience ahead of their doctrine (in general). Many build doctrine on experience. "It is true because I had this experience." "God spoke to me in this vision" (whether or not it is true according to Scripture doesn't matter).

18. RAdam

RAdam New Member

I really think people have no concept of what was truly important to the apostles. I've read several responses that basically said they would be disappointed in Christians arguing over doctrine and practice as if that wasn't a big deal to them. Hello! They fought hard to keep the Lord's people from being deceived with false doctrine. They were very concerned that what the Lord had delivered to them and they had delivered to the church be kept in that same fashion.

I'll tell you what the apostles would do - they would search for that body that had continued steadfastly in their doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers. They would know it was still here because Jesus promised just that, so they would hunt for it, not settling for anything less.

19. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup: amen amen and amen

20. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Jesusfan posted...

Amen, and AMEN!