1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

If you could have only one translation...

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Priscilla Ann, Mar 14, 2011.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I would say NKJV. If they were out of those I would go KJV

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    KJB for me.

3. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

Excellent point. If we can't understand a translation, it doesn't matter how literal it is. The trick is finding the most literal and understandable tranlslation... I love the NIV 1984 because it's so easy to understand; but ESV, NKJV and NASB are more literal translations. It's difficult to find a translation with that perfect balance -- I think the ESV was supposed to accomplish that, but it seems to fall a bit short, at least for me.

4. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I foremost need a translation that allows me to KNOW what is being said, and readability is not key to that. I can read difficult words, and diagram sentences to see what is being said. I'd want a version that can be concorded accurately, which eliminates the NIV, and NLT, plus other paraphrase versions like The Message, TEV, etc. The HCSB is okay to read, but I have found myself drifting away from teaching from it because it splits the difference between a literal translation and a thought-by-thought translation.

I can no longer stomach the re-translation needed to make the KJV intelligible to myself or others, so that is out. Just too much work to explain everything twice and hope that the people "get it."

That leaves versions like the NASB, ESV, NKJV, etc., and I can be happy with any of those. I used the NASB exclusively for my seminary work, and it served me well, but I now prefer the ESV for the utter clarity that it brings, while remaining solidly attached to the underlying Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek, plus the textual apparatus and study guides, concordances, etc., are first rate for this new version. It appears to be the new standard in Bible study, so I go that way.

5. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Given that I have a fairly large collection of Bibles, If I could flip the OP question around to read: "If you had to get rid of one translation, which one would it be?"

answer: The ESV. A translation looking for a reason to exist.

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Utter clarity" is not so clear to many. It's more on the obfuscation side of things.

It's not so new.It's just a lightly dressed RSV.

7. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree 100%, my thoughts exactly.

8. JTornado1

JTornado1 Member

The Modern Language Bible aka New Berkeley Version.

9. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

Can you give some examples of the "utter clarity" of the ESV? How is it superior to the NASB? Just curious...

10. TomVols

TomVols New Member

NASB, ESV/NET would tie for second. NIV 2011 is not bad either

11. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

It's the darling translation of Calvinists. Must be a reason for that.

12. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

If I am choosing only for myself to read/study, I might choose Darby (but OTOH, the ASV could also be good choice).

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Wow, tough topic...it's like asking which one of your kids you love more :)

If it had to be one, it's a draw between the NLTse and the HCSB depending on the day. Probably lean more towards the HCSB, though, particularly if the up-coming revision is good.

14. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I'm not sure it is "superior" but it reads better.

Let's face it, I'm one of the blessed ones that study in the original languages, so I'm generally looking for an English translation that works well in group settings, and for devotional use. For those purposes, I prefer the ESV. I've not found all the problems with it that some here on the board have (perhaps I went through my biblical culture shock way back in the early 1990s when I got saved and found translations other than the KJV that actually caused me to want to read the Word). One of the best study editions ever published is in the ESV format. Scholarship is very good.

It generally boils down to a matter of choice in any case, and I think we're seeing that here.

When I really want to dig in, I'll use as many as 20 English translations to see how others have translated the original languages (and to check my own work). I have a great number of alternative Bible translations on my shelf and in my computer. Some that I'd lay odds a good many people have never seen, including one-off translations that were forerunners to more popular versions.

Additionally, when the Mormons or Jehovah's witnesses (or Catholics for that matter) come calling, I like to be able to work in their preferred translation, just to set them off a bit. Tends to diffuse their a priori notion that I don't really know the Bible because I don't know THEIR Bible... I can almost say the same thing for KJV users these days, and I note that the KJV is the translation of choice for the cults, not modern easily read English versions that everyone can read plainly without assistance. Not casting aspersions against the KJV, it was fine for its day, but that day is long past, and the work of re-translating to be usable in a group setting isn't worth the effort and time it takes.

15. Osage Bluestem

I am a person who likes to use multiple translations. However if I had to chose just one it would be the NKJV. It is understandable, literal, and has all of the verses in the text.

16. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

I agree that the NKJV is understandable as well as literal. Next to my NIV 1984, it is the translation I read most often.

I've really tried to like the ESV, but it just doesn't read smoothly to me. I have a copy, but rarely pick it up anymore...

17. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    TNIV or NIV 2011

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Priscilla Ann had asked for examples of the "utter clarity" you claim that the ESV has. Could you demonstrate that utter clarity by comparing some passages in the ESV with the NASBU?

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Due to your knowledge of the original languages --how does that have anything to do with an English translation that works well in group settings?

It's often related that one conversant in Greek would like to read a more dynamic version in devotional times.

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You mean you like to see the extra-canonical passages in your favorite translations.