1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

If you were starting a new church....

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Speedpass, May 14, 2003.

?
  1. Sunday school only

20.0%
  2. Cell groups only

32.0%
  3. Both, with more emphasis on Sunday school

12.0%
  4. Both, with more emphasis on Cell groups

24.0%
  5. Both, with an equal emphasis on Sunday school and Cell groups

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Sunday school, Cell groups, and something else(please elaborate)

12.0%
  7. Neither Sunday school nor Cell groups(please elaborate)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would you use Sunday School and/or cell groups as a way to reach the lost and build up the body of Christ?

2. td

td New Member

Nothing really wrong with either one, however, speaking from experience, many unsaved folks who are reluctant to attend a church may not want to start out in a Sunday School class. A cell group is a more relaxed atmosphere.

I attended a new church plant a few times during the past year and talked with the pastor a good deal about his start-up. Right now they don't even have a Sunday School, but have a Wed. evening Bible Study.

3. Tony F

Tony F New Member

We were members of a church plant for a couple of years and they had cell groups but no SS classes. I assumed the reason why was their temporary facility did not allow them the time or space to hold SS classes so they opted for cell groups.

I am curious though why unsaved people would feel more comfortable attending a small group at someone's home rather than a SS class in the church building. Thinking back to when I was a new Christian I was still a little reluctant to attend things outside of the church building, but did not think twice about going to SS since that was something that was familiar to me.

Anyway to answer the question. I would have both, but emphasize SS classes.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I, too, am watching a cultural change from the large class Adult SS to the smaller "cell" group.

Solution is to have SS hour with a great variety of "cells" or smaller classes. This gives basic CONTROL - very important in doctrinal oversight, what is taught, and who teaches it - to the church and elders rather than just to volunteers who open their home on a week night.

5. Tony F

Tony F New Member

Dr. Griffin,

One of our newly appointed elders is doing something similar at our church. At present we have 3 adult SS classes. Two of them are studies of books and are usually divided up between the older people in the church and the younger. The third class is a topical class. Last quarter it was on Biblical financial planning and this quarter it is on evangelism.

I believe they are looking to switch the other two classes to be more topical in nature. One being for new or newer believers and the other being for the more hardcore theology buffs.

6. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

As a matter of fact yes I am starting up a new church and Yes we do use the Aussie version of these groups. It is helpful in a number of ways. One for getting to know people and fellowship. the other for building up the body of Christ.

7. Bible Student

Bible Student New Member

Currently I am working with a small group of folks and we are going to start with a Bible Study. This will give us time to grow and allow us to discern the will of God in starting a new church.

Many times a group of people think they want to start a new work until they find out the time and cost to do so.

Richard
    [​IMG]

8. Sci-Guy

Sci-Guy Guest

As a Suday School teacher and youth leader for many years, I've always thought Sunday School is a great place to reach the lost and instruct the saved in a more relaxed setting.

But here's something to consider---I've know pastors who are dead set against a cell ministry (like a home Bible study group). I've often wondered why this is---but after listening to them preach for awhile, I think I know why. It all has to do with arrogance---the belief that only they can know and communicate the truths of God's Word, and the fear that a small group of believers will actually be able to think for themselves in spiritual matter, thus threatening the pastor's "power" over them. :eek:

Just some food for thought. :rolleyes:

Great is our Creator God,
    Sci-Guy :D

9. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Small groups that meet whenever, including Sunday morning, with the purpose of Evangelism, discipleship, fellowship, preparation for worship, and opportunities to minister and serve.

10. Molly

Molly New Member

Since,we have been through this,please consider having some leadership in place...with being doctrinally sound the main emphasis. It is hard to stay on focused in small groups,because the loudest voice seems to set precendence...make sure the leadership has the desire to be God focused and if there are small groups they are taught by the men in leadeship or under that umbrella. Things get really crazy when this does not happen. (Speaking from experience)

Molly

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Sun School time gives a great oppportunity for small group fellowship and Bible study at an hour that is convenient. You can have it at a time when children's classes are going on, and you don't have to worry about child care for the adults. Plus you have the oversight necessary that Dr. Bob mentioned.