1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

If You're a Calvinist, what type of Calvinist are you?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Herald, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herald

Herald New Member

God bless our paedobaptist brethren!

2. Herald

Herald New Member

Really? You're sure? I accept you at your word. You say you know what they are and I won't dispute your claim.

3. Herald

Herald New Member

Spurgeon once said (and it's been borrowed by countless people since) that everyone is a Calvinist when they pray.

I once asked a very good previously Arminian friend of mine who has an unsaved father, "Have you ever asked God to save your dad?" He answered, "Of course." I asked him, "Why? I mean if your father has free will, wouldn't it be an assault upon his will to ask God to save him?" I wasn't trying to be disrespectful but the look he gave me was priceless. I went on to tell him that if he was praying consistent with his theology then he really couldn't pray for his father's salvation at all. He said, "Well, I can pray that God will be faithful to His promise and save him if he asks to be saved." I said, "Well, you could, but there is no need. God is true to His word. Since he said 'all who call upon the name of the Lord will be saved' then He will be true to His word." It took a process of five years but he came to accept the DoG; quite on his own actually. He later told me that the conversation we had about his father's salvation is what got him to seriously question what he had been fed in the Plymouth Brethren.

4. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

Not Cal, and Not Arminian!!!!!!

"wonder what brand of Arminianism that is; active or passive contrarianism?"

Why does Christianity have to be branded? In my church, we never talk about being Independent, fundamental or even Baptist. And we certainly don't talk about different man-made theologies. We just study and talk about the Bible.

BTW, why do you Calvinists label all of us that don't believe in Calvinism as Arminians?

I am not Cal, but I am certainly not Arminian either.

Why is that so hard for you to see? is labeling every Christian that important to you?

John

5. Herald

Herald New Member

John,

Labels are a part of life. Imagine what the bible would be like if the different books were not separated. Matthew, Mark, Luke, John...these are all labels; they describe something. That is what a label does. If you moved to a new town and were looking for a bible believing church, how would you locate that church? Well, perhaps you want to attend a Baptist church. But since we're not labeling anything all that would be available for you to see would be a church building. But what about churches that meet in store fronts or schools? You may miss those churches because there are no labels. The bible is full of labels. Jesus called the Pharisees hypocrites and his saints sheep.

My point? Labels aren't inherently bad.

As far as labeling non-Calvinists "Arminian"; the free will (non-Calvinist) view of salvation is what Arminius taught. Arminianism has some other distinctives that many non-Calvinistic Baptists don't hold to such as falling from grace and losing one's salvation. When used in the predestination vs. free will discussions "Arminian" describes the non-Calvinist view on salvation only.

#65 Herald, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2011
  6. Winman

Winman Active Member

Herald, you have been here what, three weeks? And you think you own the place.

And you think I am an antagonist? I believe even the Calvinists here will say I am civil most of the time. Wait to you meet our resident Supra Supra. I don't need to say his name, you'll recognize him immediately, he makes me look like Bambi.

You are from a big city, can't you handle a country boy like me? You better toughen up a little if you are going to hang around here.

7. Herald

Herald New Member

All I can do is :laugh: Buddy, I'm from north Jersey originally. My hide is tougher than most. Don't worry about me. I can handle myself.

8. Winman

Winman Active Member

Well, now you've got the right attitude. I chuckle at Calvinists all the time.

9. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

:thumbsup:

Be careful; winman has seen UFO's too! He's even made a picture of one on his computer for verification. :)

- Peace

10. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

..and we Calvinists? We give a full belly laugh to your "conclusions!" :laugh:

11. Winman

Winman Active Member

That's right P4T, and they know where you live. Better be careful, I might tell them you need a probe. They do everything I tell them.

12. Herald

Herald New Member

Winman, since I now own the place I want you to start paying rent.

13. Winman

Winman Active Member

Not till you fix the water heater and that faucet that leaks, I've got my rights.

14. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

I hold to the Isaiah 55:8-9 view. How God saves is on Him and we need to preach and teach the Gospel and our need for forgiveness and salvation. Most all come to Christ in an Arminian way and through sanctification learn scripture and see that God is sovereign even in our salvation. Call me a Calvinist but I don't like labels unless you want to call me a Christian of child of God.

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    North Jersey huh, Montville Trinity perhaps? :smilewinkgrin:

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Probably because a lot of us used to be in one of these camps (infr, supra) and have been told we don't know calvinism when it is apparent even cal's don't know calvinism.

The REAL calvinism...please step forward :D

17. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, but Matt - everything in this thread is basis for further debate, the groundwork for piece-by-piece discussion. First rule of Sun Tzu: Know the enemy as you know yourself. However, the combatives seem to jump in and go to work before we have a chance.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Don't think your side is immune. Have you prayed for anyone for any reason? Pointless if everything has predestined since the world began.

19. Herald

Herald New Member

God knows what we're going to pray before we utter the words, correct (Rom. 8:26)? So why pray? Besides the fact that God commands it, prayer is really for man. Prayer displays our dependence on God. Prayer displays our humility. Prayer displays our love for others as we intercede for them. Prayer is evidence of our burden for the lost. Prayer is part of God's sovereign plan. When we pray we are caught up in the unfolding of God's will in heaven and on earth.

#79 Herald, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2011
  20. Herald

Herald New Member

Pastor Chanski, nee Martin? No. But I've visited there. I was born and raised in Hudson County.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.