1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

IFB KJV ONLY COLLEGES

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by cireofmi, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Yes, it is common knowledge that the translators did not consider the Apocrypha to be inspired, and is oft-quoted by many on the board. Alas, yet the Apocrypha is still there in the true 1611 Authorised Version. I have my copy right here, looking at the book of Ecclesiasticus. I don't have a problem with the Apocrypha in any way shape or form. I am actually quite partial to it. Evidently, so was King James.

That didn't answer my question, by the way: do they use the 1611 Authorised Version, as they claim on their webpage?

2. mioque

mioque New Member

In my desire to be usefull I will now post a link to the least KJV-only, most non-baptist Bible college on the planet. [​IMG]
    http://ebaf.op.org/

why use the KJV if you can make your own translation? [​IMG] (this is a rethorical question, don't answer it)

3. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Is this the school in (near) Indianapolis? If so, you are most correct, they are very humble. But I didn't get the impression that they were KJVO, but rather TRO? </font>[/QUOTE]Correct, [​IMG]

They are KJV/TR defenders. [​IMG]

There are 3 groups of KJV onlyists:

1. The KJV only

2. The KJV/TR only

3. The TR only

Which are you?

4. Baptist in Richmond

Defenders?
    It is worth noting that I have yet to see anyone attack the King James Version, but rather, KJV-Onlyism......

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Any college that espouses that there's only one translation acceptible for all people are unfortunately guilty of versionolatry.

6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Why don't you enlighten us as to the difference between these groups?

7. mioque

mioque New Member

And now this thread will be locked because of illegal KJV debating. :(

So in a attempt to save it :D I suggest we all start talking about something else, for example Bible colleges that are heavily non-KJV and non-baptist, like the Ecole Biblique I mentioned in my last post.
    Look how evil it is, bexcause it is Catholic and they helped dig up the Dead Sea Scrolls. It even has monks who made their own Bibletranslation. It must be stopped!

8. mesly

mesly Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    On the contrary, this entire thread was on IFB KJV Only Bible Colleges. I think that Pastor Larry has brought up a good point, what are the differences between KJVO, KJV/TR, and TRO. This will have a bearing upon what type of college it really is. Let me take a first stab at it:

KJVO - King James Version Only. This means that the college only uses the KJV and teaches that it is "the" inspired/preserved word of God. All other versions, including the greek are of non-importance and actually works of Satan.

KJV/TR - King James Version / Textus Receptus. This means that the college uses the KJV as its english translation and the Textus Receptus as its greek text. They would consider both to be inspired/preserved. Their position, one could assume, would be that all other translations and greek texts are uninpsired/not perserved.

TRO - Textus Receptus Only. This means that the college only considers the Textus Receptus preserved and that any english translation made from it would be good, but not necessarily preserved/inspired. They would consider all english translations made from other greek texts to be faulty and would consider other greek texts to be uninspired/not preserved.

Granted, there is a large grey area in all three positions. I am not trying to represent all of the positions here, only the general idea.

Given the above, there is a vast difference between what Pensacola Bible Institute - PBI (KJVO - aka Ruckman) and what Heritage Baptist University - HBU (KJV/TR) teaches. PBI would consider HBU in error due to their acceptance of the TR. HBU would consider PBI to be in error due to its exclusive use of the KJV and its use in "correcting the greek".

So, as you can see, there is a VAST difference between what these colleges believe and teach.

I hope that helps.

God bless,
    Michael

9. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As long as this thread is shedding light and not heat, I'll let it continue. We can tip toe around the edges of this matter without getting into the meat of it (please, go to the BVT Forum if you desire a nice 18 oz. steak).

10. Askjo

Askjo New Member

On the contrary, this entire thread was on IFB KJV Only Bible Colleges. I think that Pastor Larry has brought up a good point, what are the differences between KJVO, KJV/TR, and TRO. This will have a bearing upon what type of college it really is. Let me take a first stab at it:

KJVO - King James Version Only. This means that the college only uses the KJV and teaches that it is "the" inspired/preserved word of God. All other versions, including the greek are of non-importance and actually works of Satan.

KJV/TR - King James Version / Textus Receptus. This means that the college uses the KJV as its english translation and the Textus Receptus as its greek text. They would consider both to be inspired/preserved. Their position, one could assume, would be that all other translations and greek texts are uninpsired/not perserved.

TRO - Textus Receptus Only. This means that the college only considers the Textus Receptus preserved and that any english translation made from it would be good, but not necessarily preserved/inspired. They would consider all english translations made from other greek texts to be faulty and would consider other greek texts to be uninspired/not preserved.

Granted, there is a large grey area in all three positions. I am not trying to represent all of the positions here, only the general idea.

Given the above, there is a vast difference between what Pensacola Bible Institute - PBI (KJVO - aka Ruckman) and what Heritage Baptist University - HBU (KJV/TR) teaches. PBI would consider HBU in error due to their acceptance of the TR. HBU would consider PBI to be in error due to its exclusive use of the KJV and its use in "correcting the greek".

So, as you can see, there is a VAST difference between what these colleges believe and teach.

I hope that helps.

God bless,
    Michael
    </font>[/QUOTE]I appreciate your comment for me. I owe you a big thank. [​IMG] :D

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Like Biola University, Union Thological Seminary, and Fuller Thrological Seminary? They're great schools. They turn out some great Godly men & women. They're not baptist, and they're not version/translation exclusive.

12. Eyes on Jesus

Eyes on Jesus Member

I know very well that the IFB churches do not accept anyone who does not dress the way they do, women in dresses, men in pants, sure they will let you attend their services and give them your tithe, but when it comes to doing any service there, you are on the outside looking in, you are rejected in this area if you will not wear the proper clothing, and in James Ch 2, says that if you have respect to certain people you are sinning, THINK ABOUT THAT ALL YOU IFB'S

13. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Eyes on Jesus, Do you know everything about all IFB churches? I know of at least two IFB churches that allow women to serve while wearing pants. Your generalization caused you to bear false witness against other Christians. You owe an apology.

14. Baptist in Richmond

The true subject of your post is legalism, not KJVO colleges.

15. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Apparently you don't "know very well" ... We are an unashamedly IFB church who has women every Sunday in pants, who has women weekly who minister in pants. We even use a modern translation since we beleve that God's word was meant for us in the 21st century.

16. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Like Biola University, Union Thological Seminary, and Fuller Thrological Seminary? They're great schools. They turn out some great Godly men & women. They're not baptist, and they're not version/translation exclusive. </font>[/QUOTE]Oh yes, the burger king college. [​IMG]

17. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

</font>[/QUOTE]
    The modernist sect has done just this, sadly, to historic fundamentalism.

Third time I agree with you.

(BTW, if you would like to debate the "only" issue, please go to the Bible Versions Forum on the BB. This is just designed to be a warning about the sect.)

18. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Pensacola Christian College
    Bible Baptist College

both are in Pensacola. Good schools.

19. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Historic fundamentalism agrees with lower textual criticism and was not/is not KJVO.

BTW, this is simply a rebuttal of your false declaration concerning the supposed modernistic "sect" which would rightly be called "historic fundamentalism."

20. Eyes on Jesus

Eyes on Jesus Member

Scott I am sorry, I just know of so many IFB churches that operate in this way I considered them all to be the same, forgive me, and I'm glad that some don't hang on the the legalistic views that cause disunity amongst the bretheren.

thanks for letting me know.