1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Immature Students

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Paul1611, May 13, 2007.

1. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Agreed.

It is my responsibility to teach my children to grow up. They are taught at a young age to manage money, buy their own clothes, gifts, bathroom supplies, clean, wash, do the dishes, laundry, clean their rooms, etc.

They work their own jobs and pay their own way to college. Mine attend college at 16.

For all this sheltered stuff that our friend shared, he still round up divorced. I'm not judging. But when do we grow up and take responsibility for ourselves?

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

When the parents let go and let the child grow up into mature adults. That process must begin from birth. I am already talking to my daughter about when she leaves home and why we want her to. She asked why I was talking to her about that. I told her because I wanted her to be mature and be able to be successful. I told her that it is easier to do that in little ways rather than all at once.

A few months ago I was listening to a program on TV about the problem with kids today and their fear of failure. The person speaking mentioned that kids today do not know failure because parents have given them everything and done everything for them.

3. Apreacher4Him

Apreacher4Him New Member

Truth never changes ... straw men do

Again, all our good spiritual experiences help us to grow In Christ...

We need to pray for our "Christian Colleges" that they still help us
    instead of hinder personal and Christian growth... The whole point of

"Christian Education".... More than just philosophy of Education... It is
    application of education... If you want a secular life then don't go to a
    Christian College... because there is nothing Christian about that and
    any true Christian knows that the Fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge

So if you don't want to live right and Fear God ... then don't expect to
    receive a "Christian Education" ... it is a spiritual and thus practical impossibility..

So join me in prayer for our colleges! We need Colleges where the Fear of the Lord is still present and the Bible guides not only "philosophy" but FAITH and PRACTICE without duplicity or hypocrisy...

[I guess the only reason a person would object to the above is because they don't like a Christian Philosophy of Education and would send their kids off to State Colleges without a second thought..] But, that surely would not be the group here... so lets stick with Praying for our "Christian" Colleges... that they stay "Christian" amen. :)

or before long we will not have them to send our children too at all...

Let us pray

In Sincerity and Truth,

#23 Apreacher4Him, Jun 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2007
  4. rbell

rbell Active Member

I firmly believe in "priesthood of the believer." A good baptist I am.

Thus, I tend to shy away from condemning folks based upon the college they choose. Who am I to tell them what college God is telling them to go to?

Others should consider such.

5. Apreacher4Him

Apreacher4Him New Member

"Christian" Colleges - Let us pray...

any true Christian knows that the Fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge

receive a "Christian Education" ... it is a spiritual and thus practical impossibility..

So join me in prayer for our colleges! We need Colleges where the Fear of the Lord is still present and the Bible guides not only "philosophy" but FAITH and PRACTICE without duplicity or hypocrisy...

[I guess the only reason a person would object to the above is because they don't like a Christian Philosophy of Education and would send their kids off to State Colleges without a second thought..] But, that surely would not be the group here... so lets stick with Praying for our "Christian" Colleges... that they stay "Christian" amen.

Let us pray

In Sincerity and Truth,

6. rbell

rbell Active Member

Apreacher4him,

will you respond to my posts, or keep spamming the board with the same post?

7. Apreacher4Him

Apreacher4Him New Member

Does the Truth hurt?

Quit making smoke screens chap!

Am I become your enemy because I tell you the truth?

8. rbell

rbell Active Member

simmer down...I'm interested in dialogue.

Now...what is wrong with my post above? Other than it ended in a preposition...and that is some ardent pedantry up with which I shall not put.

9. Apreacher4Him

Apreacher4Him New Member

See post above :)

Smoke Screens not withstanding sir.

You should be able to find your answers in what I have written above... :)

It is unfortunate when needed prayer is called for people quibble
    over what they want in a "Christian" college..

And then when people move to talking about what makes a good "Christian" College

murmuring is heard against a Christian Philosophy of education that teaches
    the fear of God in Faith and Practice...

please read... then pray for our "Christian" Colleges....

I suppose even you and I can agree on that...

#29 Apreacher4Him, Jun 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2007
  10. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

And many places have banned keeping scores in ball games for fear of hurting their self-esteem.

There is talk of banning spelling bees and geography bees because not everyone can win.

Schools now tend to teach to the lowest common denominator because both gifted classes and slow classes hurt the self-esteem of someone.

Kids need to be taught to be the best they can be. They also need to be taught that there is always someone better at something than they are. (One thing that I can say is that in my racing career, I never, even when I first started, came in last place. I gave it my all, all the time.)

If you want an "A", you earn it. If you don't work hard, you should get the grade you deserve, even if it is an "F-" that's written in bold red letters.

Kids need to know failure to understand success.

11. rbell

rbell Active Member

Friend,

You made this statement (3 or 4 times, actually):

I'm not "quibbling," and don't question my prayer life.

I'm just reminding you that it is not your job to condemn people who don't send their kids to the schools you think they should.

It's called "priesthood of the believer."

It's called "God has given that kid's parents the responsibility of growing him/her in the Lord." It's their decision, not ours, to make.

I'm the product of a Christian education (a GREAT college, a good seminary, and a pathetic high school). I've seen Christian schools that kicked gluteus maximus, and then I wouldn't give you a plugged nickel for the high school I graduated from.

Blanket statements either way don't work.

But please don't insinuate that I'm "murmuring against a Christian philosophy of education."
    1. It's a false charge.
    2. You don't know me.
    3. I'm not doing that.
    I have over a hundred and fifty former high-school students in various colleges (of all stripes) right now. Believe you me, they're prayed for.

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm all for Christian Colleges and Universities . But I think there is a place for some secular institutions as well . I wouldn't suggest that Christian students dorm at those places though .

What about Christian professors teaching at secular schools of higher learning ? I think it may be a field for some special folks to consider .

Gordon Clark ( 1902-1985 ) is a hero of mine . He first taught at the U.of PA , then Reformed Episcopal Seminary , and next it was Wheaton College . But for the bulk of his years he taught at Butler University -- from 1943-1973 . He recounted how much the Lord used him in that secular setting . Only later , after the age most teachers retire did he return to Christian institutions . he finished his earthly life teaching at Covenant College and Sangre de Cristo Seminary .

13. Apreacher4Him

Apreacher4Him New Member

In short, read and pray

no your not "quibling" now... your twisting..

And I stand behind what I write (see below) - If you find ANY "condemnation"
    there it is not in the fault of the truth, but in those "feeling condemned"

Lol... I find a call to prayer and a need for a "Christian philosophy of Education"
    if you see the need to defend EVERYONE's "priesthood"... let me also remind you
    sir of "let not you LIBERTY be a CLOAK".. or "let not your LIBERTY be an occasion to the FLESH"... It is quite simple... A Christian Philosophy of Education ought not have its detractors on this board...
    For, you will find nothing else of your suggested "condemnation" unless it is by a guilty conscience through guilt by association.. Quite simple... do not take offense where none should be taken..
    Nor take it upon yourself to remind me of "priesthood of believers" as if that is not the very reason why I am sharing these things with you...

In short read below and pray: [what follows is the content to which we refer lol:

[I guess the only reason a person would object to the above is because they don't like a Christian Philosophy of Education and would send their kids off to State Colleges without a second thought..] But, that surely would not be the group here... so lets stick with Praying for our "Christian" Colleges... that they stay "Christian" amen.

Is it my fault that everyone knows that Secular institutions do not provide a Christian Philosophy of Education with the
    Fear of the Lord present... I hope you don't think so.... But, further, I hope you don't suggest that declaring such a situation is an error... I actually I find it a needed encouragement for our young people in general... Is it my fault if some choose to not pursue such an educational opportunity?... That does not make my above call for prayer any less valid nor needed...
    In fact, for what it is worth, if more Pastors saw the value more kids and parents would attend a Christian institutions.
    That is a Pastoral fault.... But, my content above is citing what we must understand even of "Christian" institutions... you can put "christian" on its name... but it doesn't make it "christian"

Our "Christian" Colleges need prayer lest the leave the Fear of the Lord in Faith and practice and go liberal...

Let us pray

In Sincerity and Truth,

[So let us pray for our Christian colleges ... As I said at least we can agree on that...

#33 Apreacher4Him, Jun 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2007
  14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    PFH , you are being fatuous = foolish , inane , silly with your never-ending refrain . Think of something new to say -- then -- say it .

15. Apreacher4Him

Apreacher4Him New Member

For the record,

I have two sisters who I believe myself to be the number one fan of their work...

I understand the philosophy they are teaching among...

Their both School teachers in the public school system around the town we all grew up...

They are both saved. They both teach in an environment that is not Christian...
    Would I send my kids to the public school? No, Lord willing. But, am I thankful that those kids have my sisters for teachers and not some Godless atheist and evolutionists? Praise the Lord yes..

But, that is a different topic.. But, I thought since Rippon was politely try to change the subject that I would follow his suit...

God bless..

16. Apreacher4Him

Apreacher4Him New Member

Well ... here we go...

Facts don't change... people do...

So please read below... my text should speak for itself...

It was belied and if you read it you find nothing of the false statements made of me in it...

But you will find much good so I will QUOTE - I do not know how to
    BLOCK the text like you all, but it EFFECTS the same thing...

This is the fair content to be taken in context:

Let us pray

In Sincerity and Truth,

[So let us pray for our Christian colleges ... As I said at least we can agree on that...

#36 Apreacher4Him, Jun 13, 2007
  17. Apreacher4Him

Apreacher4Him New Member

I hope some have appreciated what I have posted

We can exchange words ad naseum

or "dialogue".... but if you call this "dialogue"... words taken out of context etc.

So let me just bid this thread good by ... it is now being overrun by posts
    I do not want to have further interchange with...

This is my last post in this thread..

I hope some of what I have said has helped more than just me as I meditated on a Philosophy of Christian Education in our Christian Colleges and their obvious need for prayer

#37 Apreacher4Him, Jun 13, 2007
  18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Is more evangelism done and more people won to Christ by the Christians in secular colleges involved in parachurch organizations or Christian colleges? Are more people won to Christ by those Christians who graduated from Christian colleges or those from secular colleges?

Are the Christians who grew up under communism stronger or weaker than those who went to Christian colleges in the U.S.?

My point is that Christians grow most where there is the most adversity.

19. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Being a Christian school teacher, credentialed with ACSI, and having served on accreditation teams, I fully understand the philosophy of Christian education. Both of my sons went to public universities. The oldest one went to seminary when finished. During their time at uni, both were active in local churches and in on-campus ministries. They went on multiple mission trips - often more than one a year. My youngest led an ongoing young-man Bible study and worked in the nursery at his church-plant so that young couples could go to church. My oldest was involved in the church's drama and youth programs.

Now, I'm all for Christian college if this is where a young person feels led to go. I'm also for the mission field that any college is. As rbell stated, the priesthood of the believer allows for each of us to be led in individual ways.

Now Paul, I have noticed a steady decline in maturity all around. As a teacher, I find the inappropriate timing of hijinks discouraging. They slow things down at the very least. I am grateful that the mature students outnumber the immature ones or I'd throw my hands up and run for the hills to teach the wildlife ;)

20. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

There are great Christian colleges out there, and there are ones that I would not pay a dime to send one of my kids to.

I think I have said a time or two on this board that the college/university that sends the most students to SWBTS is not a baptist or other christian college but Texas A&M University (of which I have many dollars invested currently) I am thankful for my kid and friends who live solid Christian lives in this crucible every day. These kids come out of college prepared to take on the world (and have great academic educations as well)