1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Impeach Bush

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by poncho, Aug 31, 2005.

1. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Sorry I though you were responding to my post above your last one. My mistake.

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Okay - I'm going to bed. Now I am really confused ;) .

I always appreciate a debate with your Ponch [​IMG] !

3. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Gnight Roger have a good one.

4. prophecynut

prophecynut New Member

John Swinton, editor of the New York Tribune, called by his peers, "the dean of his profession was asked on February 26th, 1936, to give a toast before the New York Press Association. He responded with the following statements:

"There is no such thing as an independent press in America, unless it is in the country towns. You know it and I know it. There is not one of you who dares to write your honest opinions, and if you did, you know beforehand that it would never appear in print."

"A am paid $150.00 a week for keeping my honest opinion out of the paper I am connected with. Others of you are paid similar salaries for doing similar things. If I should permit honest opinions to be printed in one issue of my paper, like Othello, before twenty-four hours, my occupation would be gone."

"The business of the New York journalist is to destroy truth; to lie outright; to pervert; to vilify, to fawn at the feet of Mammon; to sell his country and his race for his daily bread. We are the tools and vessels for rich men behind the scenes. We are intellectual prostitutes."

Link no longer available.

5. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

6. prophecynut

prophecynut New Member

George W. Bush resume

<The link is deleted to web site which may be offensive to some members here as per Moderator Alert - LE>

[ August 31, 2005, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: LadyEagle ]

7. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Thank you LadyEagle -- I caught a glimpse before I could scoot off the page.

8. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Pat Buchanan flipped his lid long ago! And there are definitely no Bush Haters on this Forum by decree of the dictators, I mean Moderators!

9. born again and again

C4K clearly referenced the consititution in his initial reply to this post. No one has challenged that reference, not even Poncho. So where is the actual debate?

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

You still refuse to present evidence that anyone hates Bush. You have dictatorially made a claim and stated that anyone who responds is guilty. The fact that there are no Bush haters is not by anyone's decree, but by the fact that you could not prove it in a thread that lasted 150 posts.

There are many who do not agree with his policies. There are many who would like to see him out of office. Some would like to see him imkpeached. But you have still not provided one single shred of evidence that anyone hates him.

Please, keep this thread on the topic of impeaching Bush. We have already wasted ten pages of bandwidth on a discussion of whether anyone hare him or not.

[ September 01, 2005, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: C4K ]

11. emeraldctyangel

emeraldctyangel New Member

If you want to see anyone impeached, learn what it means. Until then, stick to your crazy theories on how nuclear weapons can walk across the borders.

12. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

James Iredell at the North Carolina Constitutional convention, argued that the President:

"Must certainly be punishable for giving false information to the Senate. He is to regulate all intercourse with foreign powers, and it is his duty to impart to the Senate every material intelligence he receives. If it should appear that he has not given them full information, but has concealed important intelligence which he ought to have communicated, and by that means induced them to enter into meansures injurious to their country, and which they would not have consented to had the true state of things been disclosed to them,"

The general message from interpreters of the Constitution is that impeachable offenses are not limited to specific violation of criminal statutes. The contitution was intentionally vague on this point to allow flexibility in prosecuting a president. Justice Joseph Story wrote in his Commentaries on the Constitution in 1833:

"Not but that crimes of a strictly legal character fall within the scope of the power; but that it has a more enlarged operation, and reaches, what are aptly termed political offenses, growing out of personal misconduct or gross neglect, or usurpation, or habitual disregard of the public interests, various in their character, and so indefinable in their actual involutions, that it is almost impossible to provide systematically for them by positive law."

A more recent writing reinforces the vague definition of an impeachable offense. In a House Judiciary sub-committee panel discussion on the Clinton impeachment, Rep. Charles Canaday, (R) Florida wrote [3]:

"The House has never in any impeachment inquiry or proceeding adopted either a comprehensive definition of high crimes and misdemeanors or a catalogue of offenses that are impeachable. Instead, the House has dealt with the misconduct of federal officials on a case by case basis..."

Back in 1970, Rep. Gerald R. Ford defined impeachable offenses as "whatever a majority of the House of Representatives considers it to be at a given moment in history." That is probably a reasonable definition, consistent with the intentions of the Founding Fathers.

SOURCE

A real investigation into the Plame leak is ongoing as it should. There are lots of internet rumors which could mean something or nothing. Guesstimations don't help much but we seem hard pressed for real info at this time.

The Mainstream media seems disinterested in pursuing it dispite that fact most people think they are all liberals and would like to see any republican boiled alive and the democrats well who takes their word for anything and they haven't stomach or backbone to go toe to toe in a real slugfest because they've been scaterbrained and intimidated by the republicans IMHO.

The same can said I suppose of the Downing Street memos and the seemingly endless ties to defense contractors and big oil companies by Bush and his administration. The ties to the Saudis and Bin Ladens the Carlyle group and Marvin, Niel, Jeb and other family members and friend's long list of alleged ties to corporations, directorships, off shore banks and laundries that could stand to gain from wars and actions implimented by George Along with allegations of complicity in the events of 911 to name a few off the top of my head.

All of these should be independently investigated in my mind, something Bush and his administration (and congress) seem reluctant and even hostile to allow to happen. And the mainstream media seem reluctant to talk about it other than to site anoymous government "sources" without any thing I would consider real investigative journalism. Many internet journalists have published very good and compelling pieces but they are either demonized by the mainstream liberal media as conspiracy theorists or looney liberals (?) Go figure.

Why is this? Why are the same people that defend the Patriot Act(s) by saying "if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear" not saying the same about this administration or any public servant connected to this administraion for that matter? If they have nothing to hide why do they resist an indepedent investigation?

That's all I have for now.

13. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Objective and balanced as always I see. Were you born an expert on everything or is that just what you'd like us to beleive? Most of us that attended public school have to learn as we go. :rolleyes:

[ September 01, 2005, 02:10 AM: Message edited by: poncho ]

14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

As a strict constitutionalist I disagree with President Ford and others above. Do you really want impeachment being defined by the House - "whatever a majority of the House of Representatives considers it to be at a given moment in history." Id a pro-abortion House decided that a pro-life President should be impeached for speaking out against abortion should that be impeachable.

The Constitution is clear.

Treason, bribery, high crimes, and misdemeanours.

Is President Bush guilty of any of these?

(I can't believe I am posting from a "pro-Bush" side here [​IMG] )

15. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Wouldn't that be up to congress to prove? That's their duty as representatives of the people so I understand to try the president. It's the duty of the people to ask questions and demand answers and action from those representives. Right?

16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

An impeachment would only be if there were enough charges. Impeachment would be a waste of taxpayer time and money for there are definitely not enough grounds for conviction by the Senate.

If the Senate won't convict an impeached president for perjury, they are rightly not going to convict him for some of the vague charges posted above.

The framers of the Constitution were correct. The reasons were specific. We don't want a precedent of impeaching every president who doesn't perform the way we want, then having him found innocent by the Senate.

17. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

In light of the way the government sees our pockets as bottomless pits for their pet projects and the laid back approach they take in driving us to the poor house I'd say that would be the last thing they would truely consider but the first excuse they would give. You and I should rightly consider in the top ten questions though.

These charges will remain vague as long as the watchdogs of government act like lap dogs and the people are content to be subserviant to their servants. I reckon.

18. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Probably a clear definition of high crimes and misdemeaners is in order here, emeraldcityangel seems to be claiming he has one that is indisputitable. How about helping us mere mortals out here with it? [​IMG]

Time for some shut eye. Good night Roger. Thanks for the interaction. See you tomorrow Lord willing. :cool:

19. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Of course the framers kept the defintions flexible, yet I don't see the elasicity of the the Constitution stretching to "whatever the House deems."

See you tomorrow (today for me) Ponch.

20. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's exactly what a misdemeanor is.