1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

In America, Nonbelievers Find Strength in Numbers

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Ps104_33, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

A legion of the godless is rising up against the forces of religiosity in American society.
    "People who were ashamed to say there is no God now say, 'Wow, there are others out there who think like me, and it feels damned good,' " said Margaret Downey, president of the Atheist Alliance International, whose membership has almost doubled in the past year to 5,200. It has a 500-person waiting list for its convention in Crystal City later this month.
    Focusing fresh attention on atheism in the United States was the publication last week of a book about Mother Teresa that lays out her secret struggle with her doubts about God. "Mother Teresa: Come Be My Light" has led some high-profile atheists to say that her spiritual wavering was actually atheism.
    "She couldn't bring herself to believe in God, but she wished she could," said Christopher Hitchens, a Washington-based columnist and author of "God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything," the latest atheist bestseller.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/14/AR2007091402199.html

2. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

With the population of America being around 300 million, their membership represents 0.0017%

This seems rather insignificant to me.