1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

In Moderation....

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ShotGunWillie, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Alcohol aside, I don't think it's necessary to be paraoind about whether an action of ours is going to cause someone to stumble. We can, however, express common courtesy to our actions in regards to others stumbling. If an action is likely to cause a reasonable person in our vicinity to stumble, then we should refrain. If not, then we can partake. Doesn't matter if it's alcohol or cheesecake.

The idea that we shouldn't drink because someone somewhere "might see us buy it" isn't a reasonable application of the "cause to stumble" passage. Otherwise, we wouldn't be able to buy cheesecake or ice cream, because some random person "might see us buy it" and lure them into gluttony.

But it's a personal decision. What I take issue with is a Christian in Detroit telling a Christian in Florida that he can't drink, because someone it might cause a person in Maine to stumble.

#121 Johnv, Oct 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2009
  2. JMSR

JMSR New Member

Whle I do not agree the Bible condemns alcohol in moderation, you can see the point though. It's not really the person in Maine in question. Most here have the sense (I think) to recognize what scripture says and be able to apply that to themselves, but what about Joe Blow that knows you go to the Baptist church and has been thinking hard about coming and hasn't yet. If he sees you walking out of the 7-11 with a 6 pack or even worse, the package liquor store, there's a good chance that in his mind it might illegitimatize your faith, or what the church is about. We know it doesn't, but they might not. Causing someone to stumble is different than throwing a curve at someone who's never picked up a bat. I've been a drinker for a long time. It has never really been a problem in our home, but my wife had pretty much deemed me a reprobate anyway. Probably still does, but drinking doesn't fit in with what I'm trying to do now, so I don't. The last thing I need is another petty issue at home. That's what I consider causing someone to stumble, but I care about her so I'm sensitive to it.

3. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Well said. :applause:

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Funny thing is, it's typically Christians that have a problem with other Christians consuming alcohol. I've never known a secular nonchristian having a problem with a Christian consuming alcohol.

5. JMSR

JMSR New Member

I've known plenty of them.

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

OKay, so you knew plenty of them. Jesus knew plenty of them too. They accused Jesus of drunkenness. But what did Jesus do? He ate food and drank wine with people anyway.

Again, it doesn't change the fact, and it is a FACT that scripture permits the consumption of wine.

I can't help but notice the double standard between thread. If the name "Baptist" on the sign causes a person to stumble, well, too bad, you better not take the name off the sign. But if the mere tought of you consuming a drink might cause a person to stumble, run for the hills, cause we gotta bend over backwards to hide the cooking sherry!

7. JMSR

JMSR New Member

Yes it does, I agree. I don't however see the connection you're making. I think being Baptist is a statement of what and how you believe. Being allowed to drink is not.

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

And yet, scripture permits you to drink, and encourages it in certain isntances.

9. JMSR

JMSR New Member

Just call it a personal conviction then. Though its permitted, can you really do it with no regard to your witness? Not could they, or could Jesus, but can we now? What's more important, Joe B's salvation or you being permitted to drink?

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That's what I've been saying all along.
    Everything I do, I consider my witness. But to your point, yes, a Christian can consume alcohol and not be a bad witness.

11. JMSR

JMSR New Member

I wasn't disagreeing with you there.

I do disagree that today, openly consuming alcohol will not in some instances have an adverse effect on your witness.

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

If you think it has an adverse affect on your witness, then don't do it. But for you to presume it has an adverse affect on everyone else's witness is not only hubris, but protentially casting false judgement on a member of the brethren.

13. JMSR

JMSR New Member

I'm not casting judgment on you. If you don't have that conviction then it's not for me to say. I'm speaking for myself really. I just don't think its a stretch to believe that in the scenario I presented that it could apply to any Christian.