1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Individual Election

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Iconoclast, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gotcha. Didn't look at his profile; my bad.

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As far as I know, PB's are Calvinists, adhering to the five points of the TULIP. They believe in total spiritual inability, unconditional election, limited atonement, irresistible grace and perseverance of the saints.

This of course, makes them mistaken in four of the five points. :)

3. Forest

Forest New Member

We are not saved eternally by our faith, but by Christ's faith.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

PBs are not Calvinists, because they believe that the elect will be saved whether they ever hear the gospel or not.

Calvinists believe that God saves the elect through the "foolishness of preaching" of the gospel. (I Cor 1:21)

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

This could be grist for a separate thread, but I contend that the Lord Jesus did not have faith because he didn't need it. He is the Creator of the Universe and is omnipotent. Omnipotence and faith are mutually exclusive.

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I made the same mistake; I could have sworn Forest was a supralapsarian calvinist. Do a quick Google; there are plenty of articles by PB's that explain why they don't consider themselves calvinists.

7. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your 'grist' on these?:

For what if some did not believe? shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect? Ro 3:3

Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: Ro 3:22

16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
    20 I am crucified with Christ: neverthless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. Gal 2

But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe. Gal 3:22

And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: Phil 3:9

Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus. Rev 14:12

Word: pistij

Pronounce: pis'-tis

Strongs Number: G4102

Orig: from 3982; persuasion, i.e. credence; moral conviction (of religious truth, or the truthfulness of God or a religious teacher), especially reliance upon Christ for salvation; abstractly, constancy in such profession; by extension, the system of religious (Gospel) truth itself:--assurance, belief, believe, faith, fidelity. G3982

Use: TDNT-6:174,849 Noun Feminine

Heb Strong: H530

1) persuasion in or conviction of moral truth; a firm belief in the truthfulness of God or religious truth, particularly reliance upon Christ for salvation;
    1a) relating to God
    1a1) the conviction that God exists and is the creator and ruler of all things, the provider and bestower of eternal salvation through Christ
    1b) relating to Christ
    1b1) a strong unwavering conviction that Jesus is the Messiah, through whom we obtain eternal salvation in the kingdom of God
    2) the general quality or characteristic of being unwavering in such profession (fidelity, faithfulness, commitment)
    2a) continuance of faith in one's profession.
    2b) committing one's life to Jesus.
    3) in addition or by extension, unwavering belief in the accepted creeds and religious beliefs of Christianity
    3a) believing and upholding the creeds taught within scripture and by extension, the church.

8. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

NOPE...

its by the atonement that he accomplished while on the Cross for the sin debts owed unto God for His people that would get saved by his act...

Christ is God Incarnate, does God need faith?

9. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

differs from mainstream calvinism in the fact they see elction/regeneration as being done directly by God, faith in jesus may/may not occur here on earth...

Also see more of all things are directly predetermined by god, not much allowance for 'free will"

10. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    JL. DAGG ...has it correct and puts it simply:
    The Scriptures teach expressly, that God's people are chosen to salvation. "Beloved, we are bound to give thanks always to God for you, because he hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation."[23] Some have been chosen by God[24] to peculiar offices; as Paul was a chosen vessel, to bear the name of Christ to the Gentiles, and David was chosen to be the King of Israel. The whole nation of Israel was chosen out of all nations to be a peculiar people to the Lord: but it is very clear that the eternal salvation of every Israelite was not secured by this national election; for to some of them Christ said, "Ye shall die in your sins; and whither I go ye cannot come."[25] The election to salvation is shown by the words of Paul in Rom. ix. 6, to be different from this national election: "They are not all Israel that are of Israel." "There is a remnant according to the election of grace."[26] The national election comprehended all Israel, according to the flesh: but the election of grace included those only who will finally be saved. It is not a choice merely to the means of salvation, for these were granted to all the nation of Israel: but it was a choice to salvation itself, and therefore respected the "remnant," and not the whole nation.

The Scriptures plainly teach that the election of grace is from eternity. "God hath, from the beginning, chosen you to salvation."[27] "According as he hath chosen us in him from the foundation of the world."[28] "According to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began."[29] Election is a part of God's eternal purpose. Had it been his purpose to save all the human race, there would have been no elect from among men; no peculiar people, no redeemed out of every nation. But his purpose to save did not include all the race; and therefore, on some principle yet to be inquired into, some of the race have been selected, who will receive the kingdom prepared for them from the foundation of the world. The eternity of God's election ought not to excite in our hearts any objection against it. If, in the final judgment, God will distinguish between the righteous and the wicked, whatever he will then do in righteousness, it was right for him to purpose to do from all eternity. In his final sentence, all his preceding dispensations toward the children of men, and all their actions under these dispensations, will be carefully reviewed, and the final doom of every one will be pronounced in righteousness. All that will then be present to the divine mind, was before it from all eternity; and what God will then do, he purposed to do from the beginning; and the reasons for which he will do it, are the reasons for which he purposed to do it. There can be no wrong in the purpose, if it does not exist in the execution. If God can fully justify at the last day, before the assembled universe, all his dispensations toward the children of men; all these dispensations must be right, and the purpose of them from eternity must have been right: and if a division of the human race can then be righteously made, that division was righteously made in the purpose of God; and consequently God's election was made in righteousness.

11. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jp Boyce also saw it clearly;

12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Benjamin Keach added these thoughts;

13. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I will always yield to clear scripture.

A couple of questions, if I may. Since I'm not a Greek scholar can you exegete the word "of?" Is there any room to render it as "from" or "in" or "by?"

The other question is one I raised earlier. Why does Jesus need faith?

Now, it we can understand it as faith given to us by Jesus Christ, that makes sense. I believe that even the saving faith we exercise was given to us by God.

But to understand it as Jesus' own faith given to us--or His having faith in the first place--just doesn't compute for me.

I can accept it if the Bible teaches it, even if I don't understand it.

So, anybody wanna 'splain those passages kyredneck quoted ?

14. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Do not think the Son of God would need to "exercise" faith to get things done, so my understanding would be that the Apsotle paul , because of the faithfulness of Christ in His atoning work, was exhorting us to follow Him by placing our faith in Him!

15. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Galations 2:16 in my humbled opinion shows who's faith it is we are saved by.
    Gal 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

This passage says we are justified by the Faith of Jesus Christ and just so we don't forget that, Paul makes it even clearer in him saying "even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, "
    MB

16. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Does God even need faith though!

17. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Romans 16:13 seems to be teaching individual election. Hard to deny this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, but it's not always so clear, cut, and dried is it? There's many passages that I remain non committed on (read 'I don't know' or I'm not sure').

No, I can't exegete the word, but I believe the KJV is superior to the other translations in this regard ('faith of' vs. 'faith in'). I've done some searching, I was a bit surprised to see that the 'faith ofs' actually outnumber the 'faith ins', by about 2 to 1. There's only four ''faith ins':

And after certain days, when Felix came with his wife Drusilla, which was a Jewess, he sent for Paul, and heard him concerning the faith in Christ. Acts 24:24 KJV
    And after certain days, Felix having come with Drusilla his wife, being a Jewess, he sent for Paul, and heard him concerning the faith toward Christ, Acts 24:24 YLT

For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. Gal 3:26 KJV
    for ye are all sons of God through the faith in Christ Jesus, Gal 3:26 YLT

Since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus, and of the love which ye have to all the saints, Col 1:4 KJV
    having heard of your faith in Christ Jesus, and of the love that is to all the saints, Col 1:4 YLT

For though I be absent in the flesh, yet am I with you in the spirit, joying and beholding your order, and the stedfastness of your faith in Christ. Col 2:5 KJV
    for if even in the flesh I am absent -- yet in the spirit I am with you, joying and beholding your order, and the stedfastness of your faith in regard to Christ; Col 2:5 YLT

Excerpt from By the Faith of Christ, or our faith in Christ?
    by Tony Warren

“The most common distortion in the Church today of 'the doctrine of Grace' is in Christians attempting to make faith an action of conscience on our part, rather than humbly accepting that the faith we have is by the sovereign action of God alone. No one has faith of their own free will, faith comes by the divine will of God, through the gracious work of Christ. Yet in most circles today we are continually told that the old Bible versions are mistranslated and the scriptures should read, our 'faith in Christ,' rather than the 'faith of Christ.'”

Excerpt from 'Justification By Faith Alone':

“It is critical to note that in none of these cases, nor anywhere else in Scripture, is faith (or any other grace) represented as constituting some ground of merit for justification. And this is all the more remarkable when one considers that dia with the accusative would mean "on the ground of" or "on account of." Thus, dia ten pistin would convey the notion of "on the ground of or on account of faith," thereby making faith the meritorious reason for the believer's acceptance with God. Yet such is the precision of the Spirit's oversight of the New Testament scriptures that nowhere does any writer ever slip into using this prepositional phrase. On every occasion faith is presented as the means of justification. Justification by faith alone is never justification on account of faith (propter fidem), but always justification on account of Christ (propter Christum), i.e. on account of the blood-satisfaction of the Lamb of God being graciously imputed to and received by an undeserving sinner (Galatians 3:6; James 2:23). Ultimately, the ground of justification is Christ and His righteousness alone.”

I agree with Gill, “not by that faith which Christ himself had as man, but by that faith, of which he the author and object....”

Well, He was our example in every way.

#38 kyredneck, Feb 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2012
  19. Paul from Antioch

Paul from Antioch Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

20. Paul from Antioch

Paul from Antioch Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I see it, IMHO God chose not to tell us so that we would stick to what Jesus told us to do in Acts 1:8a: "...... You will be My witnesses, telling people about Me everywhere...." He didn't say who would respond to our witnessing, but He DID say to do it regardless. IOW, IMHO, it is NOT up to us to decide who exactly will respond in a positive way, i.e., who will actually receive Jesus Christ as his/her Personal Savior, but OTOH HE DID tell us to WITNESS about HIM, EVERYWHERE. If God wanted to tell us who would respond to out witnessing, IMHO, He would have told us so. IOW, we're to witness about Jesus & let people's response to our witnessing up to HIM......PERIOD!! If I'm wrong in my assessment of what the NT instructs me to both Do & what NOT to DO, please forgive me & supply VERY SPECIFIC NT verses that support your conclusion(s). I do not claim to know exactly everything about what God's Word tells me both what to do & what not to do, so I welcome anyone's positive input on this. Thanks in advance for your help!!:Thumbsup:Thumbsup:Thumbsup:D:D:D:X3:X3:X3