1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

inexperienced pastor seeking a chance

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by matthew_williams81, Jan 30, 2009.

1. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

I do not think any man is saying without scriptural backing.

It is not as much as what I have read in the Word of God. In His Word there are guidelines that have been given because that is how God wanted his church to be organized. I do not see it as a form of punishment but as a guide that will allow the Pastor, Elders, Overseers, Bishops or Deacons to lead and serve the church without having to start off in the hole. There are many other ways that anyone can serve the Lord with the same fervor and just as much blessing as anyone else in the service of our Lord.

2. michaelbowe

michaelbowe Member

Matthew,

I can tell you from experience that being divorced and remarried is quite a hurdle, but it can be jumped. I too am divorced and remarried, but have pastored and will pastor again. What these folks are saying is true, there are a great number of Baptist churches that will not talk to you. I would advise you, instead of getting defensive accept that churches freedom to have that position, you don't want to be there anyway. If God has called you to pastor, then He is preparing a church for you. I would also advise you to get theologically trained. I mean seminary, at least a MDiv. You like me already have a lot of door closed already, there is no need to close any more. We live in a society that likes credentials, I'm not saying that is neccesarily good, but just how things are. I am not so fundamental, and I attend a moderate baptist church, and a moderate seminary, and will pastor moderate churches. There are several conservative Baptist churches that do not mind the pastor having a divorce, albiet not many. You will need to have an explaination for your divorce and be able to express your healing process. If you get nothing from what I say, do not get defensive to those churches who think you ought not pastor, you don't want to pastor there anyway. Second, go get theologically trained, like it or not, it opens doors. Finally, keep hoping, studying, praying, and serving every opportunity you can.

Hope this helps!

3. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Matthew,

You are correct: there is NO scripture that prevents you from serving as pastor. It is just one more way modern churches Forsake the word of God, for their 'traditions of men'.

Secondly, do not listen to those who speak as if you cannot find a pastor position. I personally have known several Southern Baptist Pastors who were divorced. Anyone who would disallow you for the ministry, because your wife left you when God called you, is a fool. This is yet one more of the enemies attacks.

Third: do you have an undergrad degree? If you do not, Private message me! I have some information that will help you! If you wish to seek a Graduate degree (M. Div., preferably) PM me! I may have info that will help you.

Anyway, God Bless brother! Don't let ANYONE sway your conviction to serve Our Lord!

4. michaelbowe

michaelbowe Member

Matthew,

Take Havensdad's advise. If I am correct, he is attending a wonderful seminary, that is quite cost effective. There are several other options in forms of online study. If online study is not for you consider the traditional Brick and Morter Seminary, but please please please, get seminary trained. It will open doors for you.

5. Bobby

Bobby New Member

Well! You are already on your way to being an IFB pastor...a bad attitude, unable to humbly take instruction, taking scripture from its context to continue in the way which you desire(God-willing or not).

1 Timothy 3:1-7
    (1) This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.

Ok, you have that...

(2) A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

The call to a blameless life is not one free from sin! It is a life protecting your testimony and keeping from becoming a reproach to the God you proclaim. You are an ambassador!

Sober you arent from how you responded, flying off the handle with bold lettering and large fonts show your lack of sobriety.

Apt to teach? Not if you are ignorant of the scriptures. Are you? Do you only have the knowledge you have "heard" or do you have knowledge from what you have studied for yourself? Many churches have pastors teaching what the have been handed down by way of tradition.

(3) Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
    (4) One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;

"Husband of one wife" and "One that ruleth well his own house" go hand in hand. Even if divorce doesnt rule you out from being a "Pastor", it does make one wonder about your leading capabilities and whether you can lead.

(5) (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)
    (6) Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.

Are you a novice? How long have you been serving/ministering? Pastoring and being a preacher are two entirley different things. Much more dedication is required to be a pastor!! You'll need compassion, care, love, boldnes to confront sin while maintaining love and desire reconcilliation. Preaching doesnt necessarily require any of these things.

(7) Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

I quote:

In order to have a following you need to be someone who can be looked up to, desired to be like and have it be apparant that you care what they think as much as you want them to care what you think!

Please note this is not the same as being "men pleasers", it is being on the level of the people you expect to lead.

North Carolina Tentmaker, Carolina Baptist, sag38, and others have great advice. serve where you are to you fullest potential and God will open doors. You wont be of any use until you have proved yourself to your pastor, your fellow congregants and God himself.

I wrote this as a help to you, please take it as such.