1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Infant Baptism: Doctrinal error? Who should we ask?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

…and during my “door knocking” days I would come across more Methodists and other fractions of denominations that couldn’t answer a simple question like: “How do you know you’re going to heaven…?” they’d stand there with dumbfounded looks.

Fact is there are pew warmers in every denomination. Not every Church goer is steeped in Theological matters; even as simple as knowing if you’re saved. My wife’s grandfather refused to go to Church b/c he believed it was nothing more than a “social club”, and sadly most are. This is why Christ gave the Church the Sacraments so that we may know we are saved. So really you're point is mute...
    -

2. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You must have the conviction about your own salvation:
    1 John 5:
    13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

Do you know that you have the eternal life? on what basis?

2 Cor 13:

5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

Agnus!

Read the Bible! Don't keep being brain washed by the Broadway religion of RCC!

3. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

I love how all these people presume to know what is in the heart of a child.

Refuse to give them a means of grace because they can't verbally repent, oh please. Who made you all god and able to tell who can't repent and who can?

4. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They are mostly the hypocrites who bring the arguments with Love and Love, to disobey the commandmenst of God. No baptism means no Love to their eyes.

Repent ye and be baptized in the name of Jesus.

5. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

Yeah I guess that would accurately describe the anabaptist position.

6. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I have never heard a Catholic give a correct answer to that question yet, including yourself. Would you mind answering it?

8. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

You just said that you never heard a Catholic answer the question correct including me (Agnus_Dei). So why should I answer again, only for you to disagree?
    -

9. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

And many of those pew warmers in sacramental churches are led to believe they're saved because of the sacraments, regardless of everything else. So the Church with sacraments is no better than the others, but perhaps worse; actually encouraging pew warming, though in theory they may condemn it.

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The whole point of this thread is about infant baptism. It's purpose (if any)? It's necessity (if any)? It's Scripturalness (if any)? Its value (if any)?

In John 3:3, Jesus said: "Verily, verily I say unto you, Except a man be born again he cannot see the kingdom of God."
    It is evident that in order for a person to see heaven or have an assurance of going to heaven he must be born again, not baptized.

Have you been born again? If so, how? When? How do you know? If you have truly been born again then you would have that assurance that was referred to.

11. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    IF you believe that to be true - start a thread on it.

If you believe that to be true start a thread on it.

OK I agree with you on that one - but again I would say start a thread on it if you believe it.

The point on this area of the board is open those teachings up to disussion.

In Christ,

Bob

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I "believe" you have just "confessed" that the BIBLE doctrine on Baptism is being REPLACED by the man-made doctrine of "infant sprinkling plus believers confirmation many years later"

So that is the "confession" part -- now where is the repentance?

EVEN the RCC admits that infant baptism WAS NOT what the NT saints of the first century were practicing.

Read the Didache without closing your eye to the details sir.

In Christ,

Bob

13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    From Catholic Digest (Parenthesis mine in the quotes below) from the June 1999 article. Article by Bill Dodds begins on page 42 and is titled “Baptism Comes Full Circle”. (Page 42 is just a picture of an infant being sprinkled – so no actual words on that page).

Please see www.catholicdigest.org for the full article that hints to the changes that have evolved over time.

14. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    From Catholic Digest (Parenthesis mine in the quotes below) from the Jun From Catholic Digest (Parenthesis mine in the quotes below) from the June 1999 article. Article by Bill Dodds begins on page 42 and is titled “Baptism Comes Full Circle”. (Page 42 is just a picture of an infant being sprinkled – so no actual words on that page).

Please see www.catholicdigest.org for the full article that hints to the changes that have evolved over time.

"
    after the new Christians emerged from the water and were dried off, they were clothed in linen robes, which they would wear until the following Sunday. Each new member of the community would then be handed a lighted candle and given the kiss of peace"

<>
    "
    often it was seen as the final trump card, to be played on one's deathbed, thus assuring a heavenly reward
    "

"
    it's important to keep in mind that the doctrine of baptism developed (evolved) over time. It was not easy, for instance, determining what to do with those who seriously sinned after baptism
    " pg 47

"
    coupled with that was the role of infant baptism. (Catholic) scholars assume that when the 'whole households' were baptized, it included children, even very young ones
    "

"
    but again [quote]

it was the development of the doctrine, such as st. Augustine's description of original sin in the fifth century that eventually made infant baptism predominant. At that point
    (
    read change
    ),
    baptism was no longer seen as the beginning of moral life, but (it became viewed) a guarantee of accpetance into heaven after death
    .[/quote]

"
    in the early (dark ages) middle ages when entire tribes in northern Europe were being converted, the whole clan was
    baptized if the chief chose to be...by the end of the eighth century, what before had taken weeks (of preparation and process by
    non infants) had been greatly abridged. Children
    received three exorcisms on the sundays before easter, and on holy
    saturday;..youngsters were immersed three times.
    "

"
    the rite was further abridged when the tradition of child or infant receiving communion at baptism fell into disfavor.

"
    and because baptism was now viewed as essential for acceptance into heaven, the church offered a shorter "emergency"
    rite for infants in danger of death. By the beginning of the 11th century, some bishops and councils pointed out that infants
    were always in danger of sudden death and began to encourage parents not to wait until holy Saturday ceremony
    "

<>

15. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Didache on BELIEVER’s Baptism by Immersion:

16. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Magic ritual confirmation/confession by RCC sources

FE The Faith Explained (RC commentary on the Baltimore Catechism post Vatican ii).

17. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Tertullian on Baptism by immersion

Tetullian – repentance comes before water Baptism – and before remission. So “believer’s Baptism”.

18. mes228

mes228 New Member

Baptism

Bob, one thing that the several historical post you made on baptism illustrate. Was what (in my opinion) is a flaw in todays "seeker" movement churches that most all are trying to copy. They will 'dunk" you in a heart beat, then shepherd you into a "social club" network "just as you are". Give you a "serving position" or something so you will feel you are a "part" of the work and then use you up. I've attended "Community" churches where if you dressed up or carried a bible you were the really odd person attending. Jeans and baseball caps the normal dress.
    Everyone there would probably wear the best they had for George Bush or the Queen of England, but any old thing will do to appear before God.

As for starting a topic on abstinence, the Rapture, or tithing. I'm sure they've been hashed out before. I doubt anyones mind was changed. However, I sincerely believe that no person honest with scripture, nor Scholar, nor Theologian on earth can support the average Baptist belief on these subjects.
    Which varies a great deal from the "Baptist Faith and Message" official teachings.

All the "Higher Order" churches I'm aware of recognize that giving/tithing cannot biblicaly be a legalistic demand/law. Nor are all monies titheable. This is lost on most Baptist members. The "many" have been taught they rob God if the tithe (10% on all - no matter the origin of funds) isn't paid on everything. The "Baptist Faith and Message" has it correct and goes no further than scripture. I known several very pitiful examples of elderly Baptist tithing of Social Security, pretty much bankrupt with medical bills, and never being told better. Those old people were not robbing God, their Church was robbing them.

Gotta Go - I'm late.

19. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am wondering what you are talking about.

What is the difference between "Baptist Faith and Message" Official teachings on this issue? and what is the Average Baptist Beliefs subjects ?

I ask this because I am afraid that I am condmned as "a person not honest with the Scripture" by you.

Though the post was addressed to Bob, it already involved me in " NO person, No Scholar, No theologian, etc." So, please answer my questions.

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

What? No answer Agnus?