1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Influences

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by preach97, May 3, 2006.

1. preach97

preach97 New Member

What person of God (i.e- Sunday School teacher, preacher, or even somebody's ministry you have been keeping track of) has influenced you the most and why?

I am not really looking for debate over the people but really just looking for friendly conversation and replies.

For me it would have to be my former pastor, Pastor Calvin Hines just for the simple fact that when I was called to preach he took me under his wing and taught me many things that are still helping me today as I preach and minister.

2. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

I name two people -- a former pastor and my father-in-law -- both now deceased.

J. Herbert Gilmore, Jr., was called to my home church when I was 18, a crucial time in almost anyone's lifespan. He demonstrated that one could be Christian and at the same time competent and intellectually honest. My preaching style is clearly modeled after his. Unfortunately, he also had a way of running afoul of church leadership because he was pretty demanding in terms of what he wanted, materially, from his churches. Even that has influenced me .. to avoid it!

My father-in-law, Eric C. Rust, taught me apologetics both in and out of the classroom, and demonstrated that along with a mighty intellect it was not only possible but natural to hold to a child-like faith. Again, however, I learned from the negative side .. as he found it so painfully difficult to visit with people who were sick and/or dying, and, observing that deficit, I resolved never to neglect such people.

Monumentum aere perennius.

3. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

My former pastors Bill Dougherty and Dr. Lee Roberson. Both men were and are steadfast in the faith and each taught me different things. Impeccable testimonies also.

Also Dr. John R. Rice. I still refer to his books 'Dr. Rice, here is my question' (vol. 1&2) from time to time. Don't always agree with him but he makes one think.

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My father, Charles Himes (now in Heaven after 60 years behind the pulpit), was my pastor all of my life until college, so of course he is the greatest influence on my life. Next is, of course, my grandfather, John R. Rice. [​IMG]

In a real sense John R. Rice is the greatest influence in my life because my father learned so much from Grandad. Dad's own father died when he was a child, so John R. Rice was like a father to him.

That reminds me of the time in college when some unknown student walked in my room, looked at a picture of John R. Rice on my dresser, sighed and said, "That man is like a grandfather to me." Then he walked out! :confused: [​IMG]

In getting me to Japan, much thanks go to Missionary Jim Norton, through whom God confirmed my call, and missionary statesman Monroe Parker.

5. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Double post--sorry!

6. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

As a lay person, I would have to say that it has been the many men who've been my pastor. Each for different reasons, all of which have been for my good:

1) William Bowler, Pastor of Metropolitan Baptist Church, Tucson, AZ (For scheduling the evangelist who was preaching the night I got saved [April 23, 1966][Author/Commentator John A. Stormer] and for getting me started in my Christian life)

2) Jerry Briggs, Pastor of Bible Baptist Church, Landstuhl, Germany (For helping me grow in many practical and doctrinal areas of my Christian life)

3) David Auckland, Pastor of Faith Baptist Church, Sellersville, PA (For getting me interested in original language word studies and for planting the desire to further myself educationally in God's Word)

4) Elton Wilson, Pastor of Bible Baptist Church, Clarksville, TN (For having the vision to establish the Bible College from which I graduated in 1976 [Clarksville (TN) Baptist College])

5) Robert ("Bob") Jones, Pastor of Bible Baptist Church, Clarksville, TN (For encouraging me to get involved in various outreach ministries such as the bus ministry)

6) Emmett Sexton, Pastor of Bible Baptist Church, Clarksville, TN (For being a model of encouragement to me to use the skills God gave me to serve Him in many different ways)

and

7) Al Henson, Pastor of Lighthouse Baptist Church, Antioch, TN (For his God-given wisdom in helping me to see so many things that the Lord has, is, and will do not only in my own individual life but also in the corporate life of a church community)

To this list of pastors I'd also have to add so many dear Christian friends God has given me over the years....including those I've met on BB.

7. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pastor A. W. Jackson who was everything a pastor ought to be. He was my pastor for 22 years. I interned with him. For 6 years I helped my father clean the buildings. During that time, I never saw him do even 1 thing that I thought then or think now might have been sin. No one's perfect, but he was as close as I've ever seen.

Pastor Al Dasburg was my youth pastor when I was saved. He encouraged me in the ministry.

My father who loved me when I was very unloveable.

8. genesis12

genesis12 Member

Dr. Adrian Rogers, died 2006.

Dr. Noah Hutchings.

Dr. Charles Ryrie.

Paul.

9. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

My wife has taught me patience and compassion (36 years 5-10) and my children have taught me that it may not be my way but that does not mean it is the wrong way. The Holy Spirit has taught that he can change all people (Phil 1:6) I guess I don't have all the answers any more. :D

10. bapmom

bapmom New Member

There are many for me, but my husband first of all, for preaching "Four Things God Cannot Do" and grounding me when my faith in God was shaky.

John R. Rice had a big impact on me, and so did Dr. Jack Hyles, as well as my own preacher now, Pastor Dean Noonan.