1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Inherited Sin

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by HeirofSalvation, Jan 6, 2017.

1. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God centered knowledge = Life and Peace

Man centered knowledge = Death and Turmoil

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you are pretty close here. In my opinion the restriction to not eat of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil was temporary. Had they eaten from the other trees, sooner or later they would have gotten around to eating of the Tree of life and, with that special infusing of that spiritual life could now eat of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil without harm.

That is why God performed the act of mercy of expelling them from the Garden and putting the Angel at the gate to prevent them from returning, to keep them from eating of the Tree of Life in their fallen condition, which would confirm them in their fallen condition for all eternity. That is why Revelation 22 tells us that the Tree of Life will again be available for us to eat in Heaven.

• Like Like x 2
  3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, through one man's transgression sin entered and through sin, death. That is the passage. My point is you add the interpretation and not everyone agrees (the vers does not say their nature was altered, but that their eyes were opened....Maybe to their nature...And they were removed from Eden.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As you allude to, seemingly their nature was already their nature, knowledge revealed what was already there...or better yet...knowledge revealed the result of their actions...shame/guilt

The "unbelief of their heart" had consequences...which Set the Stage for God's redemption through Jesus Christ our Lord...what a beautiful picture of God's Love! Like TCassidy posted earlier, it was God's mercy that Removed them from the Garden, Eternal Guilt and Shame would have been the result had they ate from the tree of Life after the fall. He kicked them out for their own good!

#24 JonShaff, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Man inheriting sin when he ate of the Tree of Knowledge had to do with the way man was created which demonstrates that he was to have free will. When man freely chose to inherit the knowledge of good and evil he was also choosing to be as a God and judge between good and evil. But there is only One Judge and only One King in the kingdom and His judgment is perfect, man falls short in judgment and that is missing the mark of perfection (therein is sin).

Man, although being made in God’s image and likeness and being given the attributes of sense, reason, intellect and volition was NOT given the right to be a god. But in his pride of life and desire he freely chose to believe the lies of the Serpent that he could be as God he set himself up to be a sinner.

(Gen 3:22) And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

This freedom allowed man, as designed, to freely be responsible for this sin coming onto the world. God did not determine it upon anyone as God is only Good and created His creatures that way (Gen 1:31). Of course, God knew that His creatures would make this prideful choice and in His great love for His creation (John 3:16) He had prepared the way to the Tree of LIfe even before the foundation of the world for them to be saved.

Of note, nothing changed about the attributes which include free will that man was created with except that man, through his own volition, added the attribute of knowledge of good and evil by which he would always fall short in judgment before God, his King and thereby be a sinner.

Now, man must use these same unchanging attributes whereby he willingly inherited knowledge of good and evil and must bow down to reject his own prideful judgment and must freely put forth his hand, repent of wanting to be as God, die to himself and this desire and also take of the tree of life.

(Gen 3:22) And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

It is clear that man never lost his free will/volition, he wasn't redesigned to not have free will, but rather that man had gained the attribute of knowledge, freely, whereby he would undoubtedly sin as part of his new nature.

Therein (adding the attribute of knowledge in creation) we see that man did not inherit sin, or the guilt of sin but by his own doing and responsibility inherited the nature whereby he would sin. We also (“should”) see that man still possesses free will/volition as originally designed and that ALL men, in this volitional condition, have received the promise from the beginning of creation that he has the true ability to take of Tree of Life which is/was offered, Jesus Christ being the Way.

Of course, some would rather make the excuse that they have no choice but to sin and deny free will. To me, it seems they are not thankful for their gifted attributes and God’s promise of grace for whosoever will freely take their hand and accept the Tree the Life but rather refuse to freely bow down saying they have no ability to do so and will insist and complain that they have no choice in the matter and come up with a theory of determination putting the responsibility on God rather than being thankful for being designed in creation as they were. But that is another chapter.

(Rom 1:20) For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

(Rom 1:21) Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

(Rom 1:22) Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

6. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

[
    Not, entirely, I'd imagine...but, probably close enough for hand-grenades or such that I wouldn't consider you an heretic unwelcome in my Church :)
    Prolly not.
    It's most likely more an issue of EMPHASIS, rather than belief..
    Yes, even when they try very, very hard not to.
    I don't think so, actually....
    Not that I'm trying to let you off the hook per-se...
    I think humans think in categories:
    You also think MOSTLY in categories, as do I.

I think your mind is trying to place my views into a category which makes sense.
    I do the same to you.......Which is why I'm trying to demand a particular "Box"....like Calvinism that I can force you into....
    because it's a "box" of categories I know how to think in....
    Just like "Arminianism" is a "box" which makes sense...
    It's a category.
    Categories work....so do "generalizations".
    That's just how humans think :)
    I do it because I want to know who I'm talking to and who I'm debating with.
    It's just human nature.
    It's not pride necessarily....it's just cognition.
    As long as sin isn't some weird disease all humans are genetically cursed with from the point of conception.........I'm cool with it.
    There we go....we're on the same sheet of music:

ANY Theology has a presuppositional back-ground........ANY THEOLOGY.
    That includes Reformation Theology.
    I think "Calvinism" as it manifests itself in the modern age, has little to no awareness of it's own suppositions.
    Many a Calvinist on debate boards honestly BELIEVES...that they are entirely immune to, and do not hold any "Philosophical" predispositions....
    Of course they do.
    We all do.
    Sometimes the way we read Scripture is shaped in part by our suppositional context....
    I'd just LOVE to believe that we are a Tabula-Rosa, immune to all thought process and predjudice, but we aren't.
    Frankly....you can't just quote rote Scripture and expect the argument to go your way.
    It will never happen.
    We have to know and understand our Philosophical presuppositions, and question them, and deal with them, and detect whether they are shaping our understanding of Scripture, or whether Scripture is shaping our Philosophy.
    God didn't make us that way, and it's not how our minds work.

Is "Reformation Theology" bad?
    It's not all bad by any means, much is quite good.

We're tracking here,
    I'm picking up what you are putting down.
    MMMM....well, I think Eve did...
    I don't think Adam "trusted" the Serpent...
    I think his sin was more "willfull".
    Eve was "deceived"...Adam was not "deceived"...
    Honestly, I think that's quite meaningful in understanding why we are dead in "Adam" and not, say....Eve.
    Ti 2:14
    And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.
    This concept is Hamartiologically signifigant. In my view.
    We are dead in "Adam".
    Adam's transgression was nothing like Eve's.

I don't think the ignorant are sinners...
    We AREN'T "dead in EVE"...
    We are dead in "Adam".
    Adam's sin was willful, and the serpent DIDN'T deceive him. He knew better....Eve didn't.

I think Calvinism conflates the ignorant as having all sinned like Adam making no distinction between the ignorance of Eve and the example of willful disobedience of Adam.

#26 HeirofSalvation, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  7. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That's straight-up Bible sir :)
    That right there.....
    That'll Preach.. :)
    I don't disagree TOO MUCH...
    but let me put out a caveat:

"Within"
    vs.
    "Without"

Aren't categories which help us that much...

"Within"
    could collapse immediately to a state of "Original Sin" and Guilt whereupon all persons are simply irredeemably corrupt by rote nature....

"Without" means...frankly whatever anyone wants it to mean.
    It's not the Prepositions which count here:

It's differentiating "nature" from "action"...
    And defining what God considers to be a "sin" or not a "sin".

Sin is indeed a Personal action and it's source is truly "within"...But, what if the internalization of it is explained by our own "lusts"...

It's our OWN lusts that give way to sin...

But sin isn't those lusts itself.

Jas 1:13
    Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:
    Jas 1:14
    But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
    Jas 1:15
    Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

This passage defines sin in action for me.
    It's neither a condition nor disease...nor some failing left over from Adam's fall....
    It's your own lusts bearing fruit.

I think much Calvinism conflates "lusts" with "sins".
    They aren't sins...
    One may "lust" -sorta-for a Cinnabon....but it's only sin when they give way to that desire twice a day for 100-days straight.

There's nothing wrong with someone "lusting" for a "Cinnabon" any more than....
    as I do, quite naturally...sometimes......."Lust" for my wife....
    Not simply a "candle-light" dinner and a nice glass of Bordeaux feeling.........
    But....it's just sometimes....LUST.

She likes that actually!
    Of course she does!

Man's "lusts" aren't sinful....They are Anthropological...they just are.

It's when "lust" gives way to sin:
    If I lusted after someone NOT my wife and pursued that! That, would be a whole new dimension altogether!

Lusts, however...even "willfulness" in the right context, isn't "sin" though, and I think modern Reformation-influenced Calvinism conflates it.

I think God gave mankind a strong WILL.
    And it's not that it's "BAD" or even enslaved to sin.........
    It's just INCREDIBLY STRONG.....It stands to reason that it would come into conflict with God's perfect will. That's what sinning actually is...
    It's allowing our will to over-ride HIS.

That's disobedience.....that's sin.
    It does...and it did something WONDERFUL for Historical Theology...
    It got us all understanding and considering the genuinely Biblical facet of Judicial Substitutionary Atonement....
    And frankly...
    The views of Atonement were a little lacking until (not surprisingly a Lawyer) started playing at Theology and brought that facet of the Scriptures to light.

He was right to...

But, it's not the only facet of the Atonement that exists.
    Yesh.
    I think Calvinism is the most brilliant Soteriological construct devised by mankind. But it holds certain very questionable and debatable Philosophical presuppositions that most of it's defendants can't or won't address. It requires a certain view of Anthropolgy which is not straightforwardly addressed in Scripture......
    The Anthrolpology it demands places a strain on it's Christology (namely that men are incurably horribly evil by "nature"...............But Christ was still a man...)
    I do think that happens.
    I don't think "Sovereignty" was ever really at issue.
    I think it's a misunderstood term.
    Every Orthodox view believes God is "Sovereign".

But, there's a slew of presuppositional content to what "Sovereignty" must mean imbedded in the definition.

#27 HeirofSalvation, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  8. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

My two cents: We are sinners because we all share in Adam's corporate life after the fall. We are, after all, the multiplication of his life....

9. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They broke relationship with God though , so they did fall from a state ofbeing without sin to now hving a sin nature!

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They experience spiritual death when theysinned, as they went from a morally perfect sinless state to now being cursed in the Fall with a sin nature that is dosobedince to God

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We all sinned in Adam, so all received spiritual/physical death, and so all made alive in Christ , those who are saved in Christ!

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did they break the relationship with God or did God break the relationship with them? It seems that, because they sinned, God was the one who sent them from his presence and to cultivate the ground from which he was taken.

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They needed to have the Messiah to come to cover their sins, so they did actually transform into sinners, now with a sin nature! Genesis 3:15-16

They did really taste spiritual death. physical death, an were cursed in the Fall...

14. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

That's a contradiction. "All (i.e., universal) made alive in Christ" vs "those (limited) saved in Christ".

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The saved in Christ are those now made alive again, same group!