1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Insults at the Inauguration?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wasn’t Barack Obama supposed to be the president to lead us to a “post-racial” America?

Wasn’t Barack Obama supposed to be the president to lead us to a “post-partisan” America?

Obama’s inauguration is the first I can recall where a racial smear was contained in a prayer while the president’s speech attacked those who didn’t vote for him.
    President Barack Obama delivers his inaugural address on Jan. 20 (AP)

More Here

2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You see the prayer as a racial smear. I see it as telling a truth with humor.

Where in his speech did he attack those who did not vote for him. Exact words please. Thanks in advance.

3. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Read the article before asking questions.

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're surprised? The ones who put Obama in office are not the ones who make this nation great or dignify her in any way.

5. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did read the article. Just wanted to see if you could answer a question.

Now:

I do not see this as an insult to voters. I see it as a statement of truth. Bush, Chaney and Rumsfield, pushed an agenda of fear and divisiveness. They did not pursue hope nor unity. I really pray we will enter a time of unity and hope.

Polititicians of both parties have been consumed with pettiness and stale arguments. It is time to change that. Both parties have abslutely refused to cooperate with each other to help the American people. What one suggests the other opposed simply because it was the other party. That has to stop. So, Obama is correct, the stale, petty arguments of dogmatic party politics has to stop.

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Nice personal attack right out of the chute. I see Obama's election has not given you any more peace in your life. May God sooth your troubled mind.

7. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No personal attack. Just explaining why I ask the question.

Nice try to derail your own thread.

Obama was criticizing the past administration, not the American voter. Let's stay on topic now, OK?

8. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Um, not sure if you know this, but the "past administration" was not one of the "choices" in the recent election. Obama did engage in petty attacks instead of rising above it. He attacked all those who didn't vote for him as wanting "fear" not hope. In your haste to approve Obama, let's not make stuff up.

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

It was a horrible speech, focusing on looking backward instead of giving a focus for the future.

"We are going to do something really, really good cause the other guys were really, really bad.'

Took him 18 minutes to say that.

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Let it be known to everyone this is yet one more attempt to have a thread shut down when they do not like the content. The current policy is to close threads when behavior like crabby's in this thread begins. They know it and it is effective.

11. BigBossman

BigBossman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I have noticed is anytime the Democrats have control over the Senate, Congress, or the Executive Branch you never hear them talking about being "Bipartisan". I have never heard Republicans complain about Democrats not being "Bipartisan".

However, when the Republicans have control over the Senate, Congress, or the Executive Branch, you always hear the Democrats complaining about Republicans not being "Bipartisan".

It sounds to me that the liberals want control over things & if they don't get their way, they cry about it.

12. rbell

rbell Active Member

First, it wasn't a prayer. It wasn't directed to God, and the "pray-er," if he knows God at all, is obviously not used to talking to Him much. It was racist grandstanding. Say what you will about the other parts of the inauguration...but if you think Lowery was praying, you've broken with reality.

Second, it portrayed--par for the course for Lowery--the white person as evil.

Third, racism isn't funny.

13. SeekingTruth

SeekingTruth Member

Democrats and liberals are like the three blind monkeys when it comes to the evaluation of their beliefs.

14. rbell

rbell Active Member

From MTV's blog: They're pretty open about the contempt...

Gil 11:34 a.m. Where I’m standing, President George W. Bush is getting boos and a chorus of “Na na na na, hey hey, goodbye!
    Sarah 11:36 a.m. We are in! George Bush is onstage and the crowd is booing! People are standing on top of Port-o-potties.
    Gil 11:38 a.m. Lots of jokes about the wheelchair-bound Vice President Cheney actually hurting his back incinerating files (instead of working at home, as official word says). Boos for Cheney and Bush. “Only 10 more minutes!” the guy behind me yells.

Gil 11:52 a.m. A bit of quiet grumbling about the convocation from Pastor Rick Warren of Saddleback Church, whose comments on homosexuality have stirred up considerable controversy, when he talks about respecting everyone equally.

Nah...no insults there.

And for the record...I'd be just as disgusted at the next president's inauguration if Obama receives this treatment from anyone.

15. North Carolina Tentmaker

The entire speech was insulting. What upset me the most was his line of:
    So it is no longer "applicable" to argue that human life is something sacred, that freedom is something to be defended and fought for. It no longer applies that those of us who work for a living don't like supporting those who choose not to. It no longer applies that we wish to enjoy the freedom of following the religion of our choice and freely expressing such. It no longer applies that we wish to be able to exercise free speech when we disagree with the administration.

The entire speech was a verbal expression of Rahm Emanuel's gesture.
    [​IMG]

Yes I am offended, but I am a white, male, Christian. Who in politics today ever cared about offending me?

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

Not very encouraging for a new president to attack other americans.

17. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Wake up Crabby (take off your liberal colored glasses), Lowery is a race baiter and Obama's speech was very suspect.

18. chuck2336

chuck2336 Member

What gets me is when someone who is all for Obama talk about how dumb President Bush is yet no one is calling president Obama dumb for his lack of ability to repeat after me. How do you mess up on the vow of office? It is in the Constitution for crying out loud.

I know the chief justice messed up too, and when he stated that he had been to 56 states with a few more to go he was tired. And this is really no big deal, but neither is stumbling over the word nuclear. Why does he get a pass but President Bush did not?

19. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

That so-called "prayer" and many in the crowd disrespecting Bush doesn't surprise me, and even Obama's continual condescension towards those who don't agree with him doesn't surprise me. Atheistic, secular humanists are some of the most hate-filled, close-minded people on the planet.

20. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I was struck by Obama's focus on what the government is going to do for us, as opposed to Reagan's focus on the individual's abilities and responsibilities.