1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Intentional Lying

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Jamal5000, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Jamal5000

Jamal5000 New Member

What happens when you sin intentionally?

Does that mean that you DON'T have the Holy Spirit?

Does God forgive intentional and untentional sins as long as you repent of them?

Some questions puzzling my students. I'm looking for some other viewpoints.

[​IMG]

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Almost ALL sin I do is intentional. God saved me and keeps me. I am a sinner but He is God.

If NOT sinning would keep me saved, then my salvation would be by BOB and not by God.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

You sin.

No, it means that you were not listening to the Holy Spirit.

God forgives sin. Period.

4. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I agree with Bob. I've never sinned "accidently". It's always been as a result of wanting to do what I wanted, rather than what God wanted.

No, not at all.

Remember that when John said, If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us (John 1:8), he was talking to Christians, people who did have the Holy Spirit. He goes on to explain in 2:1, My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: . These are all written to people who do have the Holy Spirit.

If you sin, it doesn't mean that you don't have the Holy Spirit, it means what John said, that you're not listening to the Holy Spirit.

[qb]
    If you're a Christian, then your sins are already forgiven. The reason we continue to ask forgiveness is that sin in the life of a believer causes our hearts to become hardened to God and His word and each sin is like a brick. Sin long enough and don't confess it and repent and you've got a pretty big wall.

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

How do you lie unitentionally?

6. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

Same way you kill unintentionally, out of the passion or emotion of the moment.

7. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Amen Dr. Bob!

8. Jamal5000

Jamal5000 New Member

Same way you kill unintentionally, out of the passion or emotion of the moment. </font>[/QUOTE]When you tell a lie without realizing that its a lie. You tell someone something that you thought was true, but you later learn from that person that you told them a lie. It was an "accident."

I wonder if we lie when we don't answer our Caller ID if someone we don't want to talk to calls?

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Same way you kill unintentionally, out of the passion or emotion of the moment. </font>[/QUOTE]So then is murder which is not premeditated not a sin?

Agree with previous posts - all sin is a choice, a conscious, deliberate choice to act, or a choice to act on the emotions of the moment.

10. AllenLim

AllenLim New Member

I'm no expert on law, but I believe the term murder usually implies an element of premeditated malice.

Having said that, most of the time killing someone is a sin.

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd say it's just good common sense! No law forces me to answer the phone (or the door) ever! [​IMG]

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Not quite. Murder in the first degree would be that whose inention was a forethought. Lower degrees of murder involve murder that was not thought about until you comitted the act (such as those done in rage or passion), or where you did not intend to murder, but you committed an action whose consequences stood a reasonable likelihood of taking a life (such as unintentionally shooting someone during the course of a robbery).
    I have phone service for my convenience. I didn't get my phone to be a slave to it. If I don't feel like answering the phone, I ain't gonna, and it ain't a sin.

13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I considered differentiating between murder and manslaughter, and clearly should have.

Saying that, if you kill someone in the midst of a flury of anger, or lie in the passion of the moment, or commit adultery on the spur of the moment, or steal money that you happen to see without thinking about it, are those things not sin because you didn't plan on doing them?

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

They are still a sin, because you chose to do them (even though you did not preplan it). Additionally, they are crimes.

15. AllenLim

AllenLim New Member

I'm pretty sure theres no blanket rule. Let me give you a scenario

A family walks into a shopping mall, and while shopping, without their knowing, their baby (1 year old) grabbed a candy bar and drops it in the pram. They later leave the mall, and only discover the "theft" when they reach home... Did they steal something? sure... but to call it sin?

Having said that, I guess in many cases our "lack of intention" does not excuse our actions.

16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Your illustration is clearly an accident, and in this case rectifiable. There was no "theft." If I am backing my car out of the driveway unaware that a child has fallen asleep under the car and kill him, that is an accident.

My questions all deal with actions over which control can be exercised. In my view each of the scenarios I mentioned is sin.

17. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

We lose our fellowship with God.

II Cor 6:14 ...what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness?

I John 1:3 ...and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ.

Phil 2:1 ...fellowship of the Spirit,

I John 1:6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:

Heb 13:5 he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee

15 If ye love me, keep my commandments. 16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
    18 I will not leave you comfortless

I John 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
    8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

18. Matthew 16:24

Matthew 16:24 New Member

Nice post Artimaeus! Answering questions with scripture! [​IMG]

19. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Dittos

20. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

Same way you kill unintentionally, out of the passion or emotion of the moment. </font>[/QUOTE]So then is murder which is not premeditated not a sin?

Agree with previous posts - all sin is a choice, a conscious, deliberate choice to act, or a choice to act on the emotions of the moment.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I never implied that telling a lie or murdering anyone is not a sin.

What I said was you can sin unintentionally out of passion or the emotion of the moment. And I don't think you have proven me wrong.