1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Inter-league play

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by 4His_glory, May 19, 2006.

1. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Well love it or hate it inter-league play starts today in MLB.

So do you like it or are you a baseball purist that wants to save save it for the WS? Personally I don't mind it to much for it creats some interesting matchups and inter-city rivalries.

Of interest to me is the Tigers Reds matchup. Detroit is the hottest team in baseball right now and the Reds have been a surprise as well. This could make for some interesting games.

I always like to see the Cubs play the White Sox, especially when the Cubs win. (Then again, I like when anybody beats the White Sox).

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I like it for the rivalry games that we get to see each year...Cubs/White Sox...Mets/Yankees...etc.

Otherwise I could care less about it.

3. Convicted by the Spirit

What other professonal sport makes teams only play certain teams? Why should baseball be any different?

I am with Pastor I like seeing the Angels/A's and the Cubs/Sox.

4. Convicted by the Spirit

Sorry meant Dodgers vs Angels/A's.

5. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

When my family lived in SO CAL we always purchased mini season tickets to the Padres and I always hated my boys not being able to see the great players from the AL.

I love the fact that they now play inter-league.

A great injustice was done to MLB fans for years.

During my boyhood years we were only 45 miles from St Louis and I got to see Gibson , Marichal, Seaver, Niekro, Perry and Kofax but I never got the opportunity to see McClain, Perry, Tiant or Stottlemeyer and yet we would hear we could hear the Royals and sometimes the White sox on the radio depending on the weather conditions.

6. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm neutral as to interleague play. One thing I used to admire about major league baseball was that it was 'simple' in regard to schedule and playoffs. There were 12 teams in a league, and you played your divisional opponents 18 times, and opponents from the other division 12 times; then the 2 divisional champions played a series for the league championship, and the 2 league champions played the World Series. Then futher expansion muddled the scheduling, and baseball followed the trends of other sports in having more and more playoffs...

Nevertheless, interleague play does lead to more interest, and attendance (I heard) is up 23% for the average interleague game on the same day of the week as an intraleague game. And the games between many close rivals would only be one or 2 exhibition games per year; this way there are more games with real meaning.

Since baseball has so many traditionalists, who for instance oppose the designated hitter rule, it's surprising there is very little opposition to interleague play, as least expressed opposition.

7. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

I'm a big fan of interleague play. I watch NL most of the time, so, like to see AL teams matched against NL teams. Some great cross town rivalries.

8. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

It was sad to see that fight between the Cubs and Sox this week- baseball doesn't need that. I am gald the Cubs at least walked away with one win in that series, cause I can't stand the White Sox, I kind of like the Cubs, and it gave my Tigers the outright league in the AL central and the best record in MLB again.

9. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I am hoping that fight will spark the Cubs. I think they fought out of frustration. Losing and injuries are starting to weigh on their minds I believe.

10. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I like interleague play, especially when the Reds win against AL teams [​IMG] Plus, I like seeing the DH more.