1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Interim Pastor that is a Candidate at the same church

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by jshurley04, Jul 11, 2006.

1. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

Hey guys,

It has been a while since I was on here regularly and a lot has changed for my family since then. I have found myself in an interesting position that I would like both your prayers for and advice about.

About 5 or 6 weeks ago a pastor friend of mine asked me to come to his church and volunteer to work with the youth. We visited and were ready to join after getting to know the people a little and setting up a place to live in the community. The sunday that we planned to join, the pastor called me the Friday before and told me that he would be resigning that Sunday and moving to another church. He said that he would suggest my name to the pulpit committee as a qualified replacement.

After the shock wore off, we decided not to join and just wait and see what God was going to do. We really enjoyed the people and were actually looking forward to serving there. The Sunday after he told the church I filled the pulpit as he went to spend a Sunday rather than a Wednesday with his new church. The people seemed to enjoy my preaching style and I did get one comment that I was a breath of fresh air (I also understand how quickly air gets stale in churches after the fresh breath). This past Sunday the pulpit committee met and asked me to be the interim pastor until the new pastor is found. I responded that I would be happy to but I wanted it understood that I also wanted to be considered as a candidate for the pastorate.

My question is this, as an interim pastor or pulpit supply or whatever you want to call it in this situation, how far does the preaching responsibility go? I know that I will have no authority to do anything that a pastor normally would such as anything other than preach. But I also don't want go into areas that possibly only the pastor should go. I know that I am to preach the Word but I also do not want to cover areas that one would think that only the proper pastor should cover. Maybe I am just looking for words of wisdom as to what to and not to do.

I would appreciate any thoughts about my situation. As well as any insights you might offer.

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

You're really in a catch 22. Some will say you're not man enough to run the Church and the deacons will walk all over you if you stay hands off. Others will say you're too pushy and trying to take over while not pastor if you are too hands on.

I would not change any of the existing programs or beliefs but would take full responsibility as pastor. You are now the spritual leader of that flock. Don't change if women wear pants or not, but do preach an uncomprimising Gospel as the LORD sends his message through you.

Don't kick in the door to the deacons room but if you have a business concern, by all means go and discuss it. Make sure to impress upon them you are there to work with them and not against them. HOWEVER, THE WILL OF GOD IS YOUR FIRST PRIORITY. Don't fire the head usher or the minister of music but if you have a concern, you may want to meet with the Church leaders to get their input.

I would also try and make as many activities as possible and be ready with a short glad to meet you this is who I am speech. Choir practise, mission, you name it I would be there. Not to interfere or to turn choir practise into bible study but just to observe. Sit way in the back or even in the ofice with the door open. Sit in different Sunday School classes. Try to sit in them all if you can. Really try to see what doctorine is being taught and what's going on. You may see the reason the last pastor left.

Walk around on Sunday. When in the office, be sure you make yourself easy for the people to access. You are trying to meet them and they are trying to meet you. Same with your wife and kids. They need to be there.

Finally remember, GOD chooses the undershepherd for the flock. If it is his will you will get the Church. If it is not his will you will not get it. If the pulpit committee chooses the pastor without seeking GOD you didn't want to be at the Church anyway.

My prayers are with you my Brother... :praying: