1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Internet Protection

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Shark1611, Jul 13, 2002.

1. Shark1611

Shark1611 New Member

Can someone tell me what is the best FREE internet protection out today? At this time my computer is wide open and I would like to have some protection.

A fool for Christ sake,
    Shark1611

2. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Do you mean protection as in protection against hackers, programs accessing the internet without your knowledge/permission, etc? I recommend ZoneAlarm ( http://www.zonelabs.com ). They have a FREE version that is great, I would not use my cable modem without it.

Another great freebie tool for stopping/removing spyware (programs that secretly trace/report information about you to third-parties via the internet) is Lavasoft's "Ad-aware" ( http://www.lavasoftusa.com/ ). Super yummy.

Virus protection? Another great freebie: Grisoft's "AVG" ( http://www.grisoft.com/ ). Advanced virus protection for free - gotta like that. [​IMG]

I use all three of the above tools, and recommend each of them if you spend any serious time on the internet.

3. Clint Kritzer

Clint Kritzer Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like Zone Alarm as well but beware, we loaded it, (okay I loaded it :rolleyes: ) onto my father-in-laws machine which runs on Windows ME and it caused a conflict with the dial-up connection that we could not rectify! It turned out we could not disable the firewall and still get internet connection. No easy way to get it out of the machine either. It just sits there like a parasite!

[ July 14, 2002, 12:29 AM: Message edited by: Clint Kritzer ]

4. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Eeek, that sounds a bit nasty. I've never tried ZoneAlarm on a dial-up machine, it was recommended to me when I switched to cable modem because with cable, you're "always online".

5. Clint Kritzer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Both the firewall and an anonomyzer are available here. http://www.inetprivacy.com/welcome.htm
    If you choose to just use the proxy and use a different firewall, make sure you allow the anon. access to the internet! I made that mistake, wasn't thinking. :(
    Also, setting up the anon. isn't for the faint of heart, and if you don't get it right you're going to mess up your computer. You're going to need to make sure you know what you're doing and be able to know how and why you set it up like you did, or you might have a lot of trouble later trying to set up programs and using them, as you'll have to know about dumb things like LAN settings and port #'s and junk.
    Anyhow, it's a good thing to have if you for some (hopefully good) reason want to surf the net anonymously.
    IHM

7. Tony Ford

Tony Ford New Member

Beware of of the word free...
    but for anti virus this is what I use... AVG from www.grisoft.com It is a free software that you can schedule to scan your computer and emails. If your connection is like mine - 512kbs CABEL MODEM no dialup constant connection - then try his one.

I have scheduled mine to scan at 8.00 am in the morning.. takes about half an hour because of the amount of files to scan. It also updates automatically.

Tony Ford
    interface designer
    www.rutherglenbaptistchurch.org

[ July 16, 2002, 02:51 AM: Message edited by: Tony Ford ]

8. Iakobos

Iakobos Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Were you referring to ZoneAlarm or WinME with this comment? [​IMG]

9. Clint Kritzer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Running ME with ZoneAlarm Pro (not the free version). Hardly any problems, and we're "on" almost all the time.

11. Clint Kritzer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Indeed, we run the free version on my father-in-law's machine. That may very well be the difference. [​IMG]

How's it going, rsr? Hadn't seen you on in a few days!