1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Interpretation of Gen 1:27

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Matt Black, Apr 10, 2008.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

What feminine traits does God have and man doesn't.
    What feminine traits did Jesus have, and the rest of the men of that century did not have?
    Are you insinuating then, that Christ was effeminate?

2. standingfirminChrist

Think trustitl was reversing Dale's claim, DHK.

Dale said God had feminine traits and gave them to women.

trustitl was saying women received traits from God, but as you noticed, he did not say they were feminine traits.

I could be wrong, but I took it as trustitl agreeing with us that God does not have feminine traits.

3. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

And, so, I ask you again: define feminine traits. This discussion is sterile unless we can agree on that definition.

4. North Carolina Tentmaker

Forgive me for being slow here, but what is wrong with God having feminine traits?

Now I am not saying Jesus was effiminate. Jesus was a man and I am certain was masculine in every way. But God the father is the God of both male and female people. What is wrong with him haveing feminine as well as masculine traits.

Yea I know, what are feminie traits? I am not sure what that means either.

5. trustitl

trustitl New Member

Relax DHK! Your almost acting like a woman and getting all emotional about this :laugh: . Never said Jesus was effeminate. Never will. But, he was tender and so am I. I am also 6'5" and 225 pounds and could probably take down most men if I needed to, but never have, and probably never will though.

I have a lot of characeristics that small minds in our culture would say are more common to women, but have never been called effeminate in my life. Never will, because I am not "destitute of manly qualities". Neither was Jesus.

To help us understand Him better, God chose to use the picture of a mother hen. Some say God has feminine characteristics. Big deal. Let it go. I need to go split wood after I cuddle with my kids on the couch awhile and do the dishes. :D

Websters 1828
    FEM'ININE, a. [L. femininus, from femina, woman. The first syllable may be and probably is from wemb or womb, by the use of f for w; the b not being radical. The last part of the word is probably from man, quasi, femman, womb-man.]

1. Pertaining to a woman, or to women, or to females; as the female sex.

2. soft; tender; delicate.

Her heavenly form angelic, but more soft and feminine.

3. Effeminate; destitute of manly qualities.

6. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I recently watched a sermon where the speaker stated that the man and woman created in Gen 1:27 were in one body. The part that God took out of Adam was not a rib, (a very poor translation) but the female reproductive parts He had placed in Adam at Adam's creation. Makes sense when you consider "He created themyet we see Adam alone before Eve was made flesh.

The root word that is translated "rib" is far better translated "chamber"...

I just saw this theory, and haven't chased it down yet. But it's interesting.

root word: tsela

7. North Carolina Tentmaker

Thanks hillclimber. I had never looked at tsela' before. From:

http://cf.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=H06763&t=kjv

That makes a lot more sense now. The only two times it is translated rib are both in Gen 2.

8. standingfirminChrist

It makes no sense to say Adam was created with both male and female reproductive parts in him. That would make him a hermaphrodite.

My Bible tells me man was created in the image of God. Are you saying God is a hermaphrodite? Lord, help us!

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You are absolutely right. I have four children: 3 boys and one girl. Raising a girl is very much different than raising a boy, and her traits or characteristics in many ways differ as well. However all of my children exhibit love, gentleness and kindness. Two of them are married. One of them has a child. You ought to see the love and tenderness; the protection and security; and the many other emotions that are exhibited by a young Godly father toward his small child. Does that make him any less a man. Don't tell him that! They are Godly traits, not feminine traits.

My daughter has beautiful long hair. She takes more time than my sons did to "get ready," before she had to leave the house (to make herself look presentable). She (as almost every woman is) is more emotional than her brothers. She is not as rugged (does not play hockey), and does not join in on the competitive weight lifting competitions between the three boys. She is made different with different qualities and characteristics that will complement a man and in the future will make a man his "help-mate."

In no way did Christ have any feminine traits.
    He had Godly traits, not feminine traits.
    God forbid! The day that we start calling the fruit of the Spirit--love, compassion, joy, etc. feminine traits. What a horrible thought to think of. And yet that is the position that some here are implying--that somehow the fruit of the Spirit are feminine in nature! God forbid! You won't say it outwardly, but it is implied by some.

10. North Carolina Tentmaker

Oh come on SFIC, does God reproduce sexually? Does he have other children that are little gods and grow up to be gods like him? Of course not. Are you saying that God has physical reproductive organs? With whom would he mate? No one is saying God is a hermaphrodite. Trying not to be crude but are you saying that he has a physical male organ used for copulation and urination?

Matthew 22:29-30 comes to mind:
    We exist as men and women and reproduce that way because that is how God made us. Both men and women are equally made in the image of God. God has no physical mate and could not be classified as male or female the way we classify animals here on this earth.

11. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

No I did not say God is a hermaphrodite.

Are you saying God is a man and a woman? same logic.