1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is anyone familiar with the practice of shunning?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Zenas, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

This is not about fighting laws that take away our constitutional rights. You are confusing apples with oranges. This is about voting to make something legal, which at the present is NOT legal and violating your covenant with your church.

And btw, I do not support someone's right to take the Lord's name in vain anymore than I support someone's right to have an abortion.

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

A couple of things wrong with your argument:

You're saying that, if you to institute a law that grants new rights to engage in immoral behavior, then it's wrong, but if you fight to uphold a law that preserves a right to engage in immoral behavoir, then it's okay. By that argument, voting to enact Amendment I would be wrong, since it allows a person to use the name of the Lord in vain.

Second, since the Amendment XVIII (Prohobition of alcohol) was repealed, the constitutional right of a person to sell and consume alcohol is guaranteed in similar manner as free speech is.

#62 Johnv, Sep 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2009
  3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christians should abstain from supporting immoral behavior regardless of the legality of it.

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Thank you. That is exactly what I mean. And you shouldn't be against immoral behavior while sitting in the pew, but promote the behavior when you're not at church. That is being a hypocrite and one of the reasons the world scoffs at the church.

5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In Washington State, citizens similarly threatened with retaliation for signing a petition to reconsider state domestic partnerships had their privacy protected last week by a federal judge's ruling:

New York Times Sept. 12, 2009

"In his decision, Judge Settle said that the signing of a petition was essentially an act of anonymous — and protected — political speech, and that the identity of who signed a petition “is irrelevant to the voter.”
    The case is the latest filed by a conservative lawyer, James Bopp Jr., seeking to stop the publicizing of the names of those who oppose same-sex marriage and other gay rights initiatives.
    Mr. Bopp said his intention was...to protect petition signers from an effort by “the gay rights lobby” to “harass and intimidate supporters of traditional marriage.”"

6. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Since I wrote the OP and haven't said anything since, I will add my 2 cents worth. There is nothing in the OP to suggest the people involved did or did not drink. I don't live in that area but my best guess is that they do drink. From what I have read I'm also pretty sure they had no idea what was in their church covenant. The reports of this incident indicated it came as a complete surprise to the members involved. I have belonged to two Baptist churches and have never been asked to sign a covenant. In fact, in the church where I am presently a member, I had to check to see whether we even have a church covenant. We do and it does not prohibit the use of intoxicating beverages. I expect these members were similarly unaware of the covenant.

A church, being a voluntary organization with strong first amendment protections, has an absolute right to control the actions of its members. For example, the Amish aren't allowed to vote. Divorced Catholics aren't allowed to marry. So it should not be viewed as strange that a Baptist church in Trigg County prohibits its members from signing a petition to have a referendum on the sale of alcohol. To be sure the church covenant says nothing about petitions, but the church is free to interpret its own covenant however it wants to.

I do have two problems with what they did. First, it seems the pastor is assuming more power than he should have. We don't know the role of the deacons, or elders if they have them, but if the pastor is acting on his own he is out of line.

Second, they appear to have completely ignored the three step process for church discipline outlined in Matt. 18. Several on the thread have already made this observation and they are 100% correct. Approaching the members quietly in the first instance would have probably got the matter resolved.

One thing is for certain, it does nothing to make people want to join a Baptist church. Reading about things like this makes one wonder if some Baptists have a death wish.

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I live very close in McCracken county. If I had a pastor that pulled that, I would do everything in my power to see he was removed from office the next week. It has nothing to do with drinking or not drinking, or for that matter, the church covenant. In fact, our church has a similar covenant on alcohol. That is not the point. The point is this pastor took it upon himself to go outside the authority of the church to investigate member's rights guaranteed by the US Constitution. He also failed to follow the model of Matthew 18. This is not a drinking issue. I do not believe we have one member active in our church who drinks. The behavior of that pastor would not be tolerated in our church.

This is more akin to the incident a several years ago when the idiot pastor in Kansas found out several members incomes, printed them in the church bulletin, then their giving for the year, and another column had the percentage of giving.

I agree with your last paragraph. All these myths about Baptists get started by clowns like this in a leadership position. And we wonder why the pews are empty?

Also, just because someone signed a petition to bring the issue to a vote, does not mean that they drink. My experience with politics being mixed with church on issues like this is that the more a church or churches rant and rave when something like this comes up, the more it draws voters out from the opposite side, and makes certain defeat at the polls.

#67 saturneptune, Sep 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2009
  8. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

What next? The pastor accompanies the members into the voting booth to monitor their secret ballot?

9. rbell

rbell Active Member

And if they have a male teenager, they've probably heard of mooning as well...

:eek:

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Since the person(s) in the OP can't be shown to have supported immoral behavior, it's a nonsequitor.
    But you've already indicated that you're a hypocrite on the topic: You oppose taking of the name of the Lord in vain, yet you support the right of a person to do so in the privacy of his/her own home.

#70 Johnv, Sep 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2009
  11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Not true..................

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Would you oppose a law that would make it illegal for a person to use the name of the Lord in vain in the privacy of theri own home?

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I think that is a subject you should take to another thread. The subject of this thread is about church policy, not government policy.

I am not going to get into a debate about the constitution.

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

No, it's not. You're making a claim of hypocrisy. You're saying that if the church finds an action inappropriate, then it's hypocritical for a member of the church to support that action.

You're claiming that, if a church says consumption of alcohol is wrong, then its members are not allowed to support a law that allows the sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages, even if that member never sells or consumes alcohol.

Yet, if a church says taking the name of the Lord in vain is wrong, you can't say whether you would support a law that bans a person from taking the Lord's name in vain in the privacy of his own home.

15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

If you sign a covenant and are in agreement with the church that the taking of the Lord's name in vain is a sin, then you are a hypocrite if you go out and support the taking of the Lord's name in vain.

I am done with this debate with you.

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

17. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Yet you refuse to answer a simple yes or no question: Would you oppose a law that would make it illegal for a person to use the name of the Lord in vain in the privacy of their own home? Yes or no?
    That's because you know you can't answer the question without debunking your onw position.
    No one disagrees here that the church of the OP was wrong in its application of discipline. Everyone seems to be in agreement on that point.

It seems the point at hand is whether the person's actions in the OP violated a church covenant. It did not.

#77 Johnv, Sep 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2009
  18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

It depends. Did I make a covenant that I would do one or the other?

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Now you're sidestepping. But, just for kicks, let's ee what kind of answer we get.

Let's say you signed a covenant where you promise not to take the name of the Lord's name in vain. Then, a law gets passed saying "it is illegal for a person to take the name of the Lord in vain in the privacy of his own home". Would you oppose that law?

20. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

This is ridiculous. This scenario is nothing like that of the OP.

I really don't see the connection between opposing a law and promoting sin. Maybe I'm just dense. I'm obviously alone in my thinking on this because no one else has agreed with me.
    I'm not trying to be stubborn. I concede defeat if that makes you feel better. I don't seem to be able to make my argument. But I believe if someone says this or that is sin while sitting in church, they should carry that outside the church doors. I cannot sit in church and say abortion is sin and then join in pro choice rallies. That to me is hypocrisy, but maybe I just don't understand what hypocrisy is.