1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is being Baptist still synonomous with being Biblical?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Onlybygrace, Dec 3, 2010.

1. RevGKG

RevGKG Member

Yes! .

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

And, we ought to be sure that being Baptist and Biblical are the same thing.

3. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

Yes indeed. If we are not Bibical how can we be Baptist? :praying::praying::praying:

4. SRBooe

SRBooe New Member

The interesting part is all the debating and hurt feelings due to insults that happen here between people who think that only THEY are biblical and the other person in the debate is not.

America may still call themselves a "Christian Nation" because of the founding of the country (i.e. took it from the Indians) to avoid persecution in Europe for their religious beliefs; but to look at it today?

I heard a radio announcer claiming that the majority of Americans believe in God - but then, Satan does too. That does not make him or anyone else a Christian. The new liberal churches sell their sermon's for more money by ensuring that they don't condemn anything or hurt any feelings and allow God's path to righteousness to be quite a bit wider. My understanding (for what it is worth) is that many Baptist churches are now doing the same thing. Please understand, I am not one of the dreaded legalists, but I am not a "wide-path liberal" either.

My Mom and I were discussing this just yesterday, and my Mom accused me of being Baptist. I responded with a "no, I"m not." I used to think so, but I gaurantee that I don't believe many things that people I've seen here believe.

My studies are to teach me what is biblical and to ensure that I can follow the teachings in said Bible. I'll bet everyone here says the same thing - yet the debates rage on. Except for certain subjects, I am just not knowledgable enough in scripture to join the arguments, but I am beginning to think that my ignorance is a blessing.

5. Old Union Brother

A great big AMEN!!! It is as the Preacher wrote in Eccleasiates:

1:17 And I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit.

1:18 For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

I too have found that the more I learn the more sorrow I have. Don't get me wrong it is not sorrow for me but sorrow for a lost world.

I don't call them arguments I call them "lively " discussions.

Peace Love and Prayers

#25 Old Union Brother, Dec 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2010
  6. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

it is only by debate and disagreement that we can comprehend and eventually apprehend truth. In concert we seek to discover what we have discovered in scripture is worth basing our lives on and passing on to others. Together we help each other become more biblical and that is part of what it means to be Baptist.

7. Old Union Brother

I wholeheartedly agree this board has led me to study longer and deeper.

8. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Now I'm confused. Your profile says you are Baptist. But here, you're denying that you are. Am I missing something?

Please explain.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just depends on how you interpret it! :smilewinkgrin:

Actually, what I was going to say, is that some folks do not want to debate is because, they do NOT want to be shown they are wrong.:tear: They are more of a "I have always believed this way" mentality.
    For more discussion - click here for a BB thread
    on doctrine changes

10. Tater77

Tater77 New Member

Here in Tennessee its almost impossible to tell what a Baptist is. Doctrine and practice will vary wildly from Church to Church within the same town, often on the same street.

There is little to no agreement on everything from music to doctrine.

Baptist are truly a house divided around here.

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That just goes to prove they are Baptists! :smilewinkgrin:

Salty

ps - to some music is a part of doctrine

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sad..... A House Divided in itself......

13. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A hallmark of those claiming the title "Baptist" is AUTONOMY, which many think means do/say/believe anything they want and no one can say aught against them.

Of course, this is a misunderstanding of autonomy.

"Baptist" is not monolithic. My church and your church might be known as "Baptist" and have a host of differences. But on the DISTINCITVES of what is a Baptist, we should agree.

Of all the groups meeting in our city, the ones closest in polity and procedure to the Bible go by "Baptist". Yet no two are identifcal.

14. drfuss

drfuss New Member

I believe that only Baptists consider Baptists to be "the people of the book". This Baptist heritage is only known within Baptist groups.

Most evengelical denominations would call themselves "the people of the book" if the question was asked of them. All Christians are "people of the book".

15. Tater77

Tater77 New Member

What your describing is at least a degree of agreement. But I'm sad to say that the local churches I described don't even have that much in common. They even go as far as seeing themselves as free standing rivals with each other.

The Apostle Paul collected money from other churches to help the church in Jerusalem. Such a thing wont happen around here. Churches will other others old stuff or whatever, but never money. They will gladly give some old fold up chairs, but a dollar, not gonna happen. Baptist Churches are in a sad condition here as a collective whole. Even going as far as open verbal bashing of each other.

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

If I weren't a Baptist, I'd be....ashamed. :)

17. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

uh...LOL!!!! It's been a while since I've heard that.

We should be proud, in the right way, about being Baptist.

18. SRBooe

SRBooe New Member

I used to think I was a Baptist, and when I filled out my profile, I thought I was a Baptist.

I have learned here that I don't know what I am.

I can only claim that I am a Christian, but the label Baptist can mean so many things from what I have seen, it is a risk to use it.

We have a Baptist church a quarter mile from my house. I thought of going there, but the preacher is known as a young "liberal" preacher. I don't know how a Baptist can be liberal, so in reality, I think that church should join a different group.

19. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Isn't labeling someone as "liberal" very subjective, and could mean many things? I was labeled such, due to not preaching about women and pants, because we used "canned" music, and didn't preach about the 1611. Thus some in the fellowship labeled me as a liberal.

I also get your point, as many Baptists have taken the name off of their sign.

#39 preacher4truth, Dec 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2010
  20. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have they done that because they are no longer Baptists or because other Baptist churches are very liberal?