1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured is calvinism based upon John Calvin, Or Upon Jesus And the Gospel?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Yeshua1, May 29, 2013.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NONE here put him on the Cross, ONLY jesus qualifies for that!

NONE have him an Apostle either!

2. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

3. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

What are the standards?

CALVINISM. Calvin's Institutes, Westminster Confession, Belgium Confession, Philadelphia Confession, Saturday Morning Mass Confession (oops, sorry that's Catholic, but my what a remarkable resemblance).

Fundamental Baptists: THE BIBLE.

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You are quite a paradox. How can you be so right on the character of Calvin and Baptist distinctives, and so wrong on sovereignty?

5. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

LOL........because he's not "wrong" on "Sovereignty"..............I might ask you the SAME question......

How is it that YOU "GET-IT" about the Universal Church and the character of Calvin............and yet you STILL are "Calvinist" in Soteriology?

You understand the "Baptist Distinctives" and yet you believe a view of Soteriology not normally connected with "baptists" or their distinctives........

S.N...............You are as paradoxical as Dr. J. is......
    :wavey:

6. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

I beg your pardons, I am not a pterodactyl :)

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

I "Laughed out Loud"!............God Bless YOU E.W.F. for bringing some levity and joy to some of these discussions....

You are an "encourager"........ and you act thus.

I appreciate you.

One day (despite your status as a Yankee) I would love to toast your posts with a cool glass of Chimay "Trappist Ale"!...

I "LIKE" a lot of people on this board..........I've never met someone I would rather have a beer with than you!

God Bless you Brother! :godisgood:

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

One does not have to think Calvin was a saint to believe in God's sovereignty. Also, believing in God's sovereignty does not go counter to Baptist distinctives. Maybe you failed the matching test.

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No,he wasn't a primary source. He was banned from Geneva 9 years before the Servetus incident.

You are quite deficient in historical facts as youi have amply demonstated in prior threads.

Quoting from Jean Cadier's book The Man God Mastered,on page 159 it relates the following:"He [Servetus] was recognized amongst the congregation by some of the faithful,denounced to the criminal lieutenant and arrested. A complaint was lodged against him by Calvin's secretary,Nicolas de la Fontaine who,in accordance with the genevan law,was imprisoned at the same time as the man he had accused."

11. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

No............they don't have to.

"Sovereignty" is the only concept in Theology proper which you still fail to comprehend my brother :)

Once you get the "Sovereignty" facet of God's attributes........................................

you'll actually drop the rest of the Calvinist assertions like a bad habit. You weren't born to be a "Calvinist".....your whole soul screams against it.

The problem is.......

That Calvinist Polemicists have taught you that God's "Sovereignty" is only rightly expressed within the Calvinist schema. That's not true. It never was. If the Calvinist view is correct..............it has NOTHING to do with "Sovereignty" as a facet of God's being.........It has EVERYTHING to do with God's NATURE . The non-Calvinist argument has NOTHING to do with "Sovereignty"......it has EVERYTHING to do with properly defining God's Nature.
    I encourage you to watch this full link from Jerry Walls which defines the issue in terms of "Sovereignty" and yet exposes the mistake the Calvinist schema makes with regard to God's character.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Daomzm3nyIg

Winman's link was outstanding..........and Jerry Wall's post will be repeatedly posed against Calvinists until it is responded to correctly...........

It WON'T go away.

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another falsehood

Yeshua1 simply makes us falsehoods and posts them. God's sovereignty is something to worship and adore. So Yeshua1 claims it bothers me. Fiction on top of fiction.

Misdirection, misinformation, distortion, deception, are the stock and trade of Yeshua1. He disparages others using fictional charges in post after post after post.

Folks, scriptural truth is appealing, and it denies we are always free to choose Christ, we can become hardened and lose what limited spiritual ability we have. We need cultivation, planting and watering to trust fully in Christ. So scripture teaches limited spiritual ability, and even that can be lost.

One thing is certain, Calvinism is not based on what scripture says, it is based on unwarranted extrapolations of scripture. Scripture says no one seeks God. Calvinism rewrites it to say, no one seeks God at any time. Never mind Paul saying the Jews were seeking God through works.

Calvinism says our election for salvation was unconditional. However, 2 Thessalonians 2:13 says our election for salvation was through faith in the truth.

Calvinism says Christ did not die for all mankind, yet scripture says He laid down His life as a ransom for all.

Calvinism says the call is through irresistible grace, and once called nothing can prevent a person from coming to faith. However Matthew 23:13 has men entering heaven, who are then blocked by false teachers presenting false doctrine.

Calvinism is based on the inventions of men as they speculated and expanded the range and scope of biblical truth. Speculation is the mother of mistaken doctrine. We should ask ourselves, what is the least scripture could be saying and not add to it.

#72 Van, May 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2013
  13. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

You don't understand the discipline of "history" it appears............"Historically" as a legitimate Academic Discipline considers "Castellio" a "Primary" source...........you deny that truth by claiming that he was "banned" from Geneva 9 years earlier????

So What??..................Who Banned him? Calvin???????? DUH..............of course Calvin banned him........what else is new?

I've quoted Primary source after Primary source to you..........from Calvin, (who was there) to Castellio............

and yet you appeal to people who lived HUNDREDS of years after....

You aren't smart......you are an annoying flea who who has obfuscated a reasonable understanding of history.

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He wasn't there.

You can say that again!

15. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Winman posted...

Absolutely. Agree 100% Calvinism is overflowing with false teaching and heretical doctrine.

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Idon't know ANy calvinist here posting that would say ANYTHING other than the Bible is their primary source for all doctrines/practices!

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    is there ANYTHING taht ever happened in history that God did not either do Himself, or permit others to do, and still retaincontrol over what they did nd said, yet still they chose to freely do it?

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your verses are out of contex, do not support your beliefs!

Again, what about God being soveregn "bugs you" so much?

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    there is NOTHING in itthat is heretical teaching!

You can say that we misunderstand the bible, but NOT that we are heretics, as that suppossses not really saved!

20. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

NOPE!!!! NONE NADA!.................

It's the sheer stupidity in the portion I bolded which has absolutely NO Biblical merit.

The portion I bolded is ONLY submitted by stupid or deceptive people Yeshua.........

That's the part which is a lie.