1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is God in Heaven presently corporeal.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Greatest I am, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Greatest I am

Greatest I am Banned

The Holy Spirit has never been assigned a sex.
    God is usually shown as male but I believe Him to be non corporeal and sexless. or both as in we shall make them in our image male and female.
    Jesus is a male.
    I would submit therefore that there is more male in God than female.

Regards
    DL

2. Greatest I am

Greatest I am Banned

Exactly. Woman does not need to look through man to see God. All see God clearly and without restrictions from man. All souls are the same to God. All Perfect.

Regards
    DL

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    GIam,

I am going to give you some food for thought on some of your questions/comments and then I am going to move on....:)

John 4:24 says that God is Spirit.

John 1:18 says that no man has seen God at any time.

Genesis 3:8 says that Adam and Eve heard the voice of the Lord God in the garden and that they hid themselves from His presence.

Yes. Heaven is a real place.
    • There are angelic beings who go back and forth between Heaven and earth. They can assume "forms". Genesis 28:12
    • Revelation 4 says that there are 4 special living creatures and 24 elders who are in a constant state of worship before God.
    • Jesus is there. Not in his earthly body which required food, sleep, oxygen, medical care....etc., but in His perfect and imperishable resurrection body that Paul speaks of in 1 Corinthians 15. In fact, Paul says in verse 44 of that chapter that there are natural bodies in the flesh and spirit bodies after death. What exactly is a "spirit body"? I don't know. But it isn't the same as the flesh and blood that you and I know now.
    • We will have these spirit bodies in Heaven someday according to Paul.
    Well, you must listen to what the bible says about Jesus' presence from the beginning.
    • Genesis 1:26 says that God said, "Let us make man in our image." So who was he talking to?
    • He was talking to the Holy Spirit. Genesis 1:2 says that during the early part of creation that the Holy Spirit was moving over the world.
    • He was talking to His Son, Jesus. Jesus was not in a fleshly or natural form and was known as the Word. John chapter 1 says that the Word (Jesus) (1) was God; (2) was with God; (3) was in the beginning with God; (4) created everything; (5) took on a fleshly body during mankind's history.

God is neither. We refer to him as our "Father" and so did Jesus because God is our authority. But God has no physical or emotional gender-specific traits.

God does not time travel. To believe that He does is not to believe that He is omnipresent.

God is not bound by the rules of time the way that humans are because God created time. Genesis 1:14 God's creation cannot rule Him or confine Him. He rules His creation.

Being made in the image of God does not mean being made from a template. God man Man (humanity) in His image (having three essences: In our case - body, soul, and spirit). And male and female did He make "man" (humanity)

Being made in the image of God is not being made "male".

Being male or female did not come from a "template". Being made male or female came from the Creative Genius of Almighty God. God didn't need a pattern to go by.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why do you say that when the Bible says God "walked" with Adam?

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...and I'll have to disagree with you, Scarett.
    That verse says:
    1. God created man in His image.
    2. Male and female He created them.

They are separated by a comma, a break in the statement. Eve was created from Adam, Adam was created by God...both ultimately were created by God. This doesn't mean women are inferior creations, or created in the image of God for that matter, just ordered differently according to God's purpose.

#25 webdog, Jun 16, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2007
  6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I want to throw something else out there. If God the Father has no body, how was Moses able to see His backside? How can Jesus sit on the right hand side of a Spirit? To sit on the right of anything would mean that a person or object would have to be there to occupy the space.

7. Greatest I am

Greatest I am Banned

Thank you for this Scalett O.

Just to be clear. The answer is that there is no true corporeal essences in Heaven.

Regards
    DL

8. Greatest I am

Greatest I am Banned

If I understand Scarlette and God has never been seen then I would guess that that expression of walking with God is artistic liberty and means that Adam was walking with God in his heart.

Regards
    DL

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Jesus Himself said if you have seen Him, you have seen the Father. Man has seen God.

Genesis is literal, btw, not artistic. If it says He walked with Adam...He walked with Adam. Whether this was a Christiphany or not, the text is to be taken as literal and not figuratively.

10. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

So you are taking "man" here to mean males only. I take it to mean "humanity".

God made Adam from dirt and Eve from a bone. I don't see where that makes Adam in God's image and Eve not.

Yes. And that is evidence to me that the word "man" in the first part of the sentence is talking about humanity and not males only.

Yes, but how does this make women not created in God's image?

I'm not concerned about the order. I understand order.

I'm not concerned about purpose. I understand purpose.

I'm not concerned about inferiority. Despite the fact that the world will tell women that we are inferior and even the church to some degree, I know otherwise. That's not the issue.

I am concerned that you do not believe that women are created in the image of God just like men are. The image of God is not "maleness". The image of God is being spirit-like. God is Triune God. Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. God is Spirit.

Humanity is a triune creation. Body, soul, and spirit. No other creation is humanity. We are the pinnacle of God's creation.

If women are not created in the image of God, then they, like animals and plants, have no spirit nor soul and cannot be saved.

11. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's just it, webdog. The bible doesn't say that God walked with Adam.

He had a "presence", but that's all it says.

It says this, in Genesis 3:8. "And they heard the voice of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God....."

Adam and Eve were walking in the garden in the cool of the day and they heard God's voice and hid from His presence.

#31 Scarlett O., Jun 16, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2007
  12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

NIV...
    Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the LORD God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the LORD God among the trees of the garden.

I'll have to address your other post tomorrow. I'm working late tonight, and I don't have my "resources". ;)

13. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't want to be nit-picky and please tell me if I am, webdog. :saint: :saint:

I believe God is a Spirit, but that doesn't mean God doesn't have a form. It is not a human form, however. I don't know what form God has, but it is very awesome and our minds probably can't handle it.

Moses, in Exodus 33:18-23, asked God to show him His glory, not His body. God said that He would reveal His goodness and proclaim His name.

God said that no one can see God and live, but that He would hide Moses in a rock's cleft, cover him with His hand, and allow His glory to pass by.

He said that He could not face Moses, but had to turn his back to him.

When God mentions his "hand", "face", and "back", I don't necessarily take this to mean that God had a body, perse. But definitely a form. A spirit-form based on what John says in chapter 4.

If Jesus meant this literally, then the only people with the capacity to have seen God are the people who lived in a brief 33-year span of history.

And if He meant this literally, then God has a flesh and blood form. Reading the following passages from John just don't mesh with that idea of God being flesh and blood.

John 1:18 "No man hath seen God at any time..."
    Must that not include Moses?

John 6:46 "Not that any man hath seen the Father, except he who is of God; he hath seen the Father."

John 14:7 "If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also; and from hence forth ye know him and have seen him." (I just can't make this to mean that Jesus is talking about "seeing" God's shape or form. It's about knowing Him intimately.)

John 14:8-9 Philip said to Jesus for Him to show them the Father. Jesus said, "Philip, haven't you known me. We've been together for so long. If you have seen Me, you have seen the Father. How can you ask Me to show you the Father. Don't you believe that I am in the Father and that the Father is in Me?...." (Again, I don't see where Jesus is talking about His earthly flesh and blood and mortal body being what God's form looks like. I believe He is talking about God's nature and not God's form.)

I'm sorry for being so wordy and nit-picky. I won't do it anymore....today. :saint:

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Since Jesus is 100% God and 100% Man...It has to be literal. I think the Scripture you supplied has to be taken in this context, and the context given.
    :laugh: I don't mind. It gets the wheels turning. I do it plenty myself here.

15. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

GIAM, this is not the place to come to be mentored. You'll get too many conflicting viewpoints. Folks here debate, and about 99% of it is mental, from the natural man, not from the spiritual. You need to sit down with someone right where you live, or get someone on the BB to tutor you privately. I'd suggest Scarlett, or Christian Youth .. but that is up to them, obviously. At least you get an idea of what mentoring is about, reading their posts.

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You are right of course Scarlett, I was just thinking of who He created first.

I tend to lend towards this scripture when I think of male or female with God:

Gal 3:28There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

17. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for that clarification.

By-the-by.....you are one of the many preachers here on the BB that I have always wanted to come and hear preach. :applause:

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

That sure is a nice compliment and thanks. Have you ever visited my web site and played my songs?

19. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have now! Is that you singing? Whoever it is, is good. It's not easy to sing acapella.

I played "Tempted and Tried" twice and the second time I sat here in my computer chair and sang harmony. :laugh:

I going to listen to some others tomorrow afternoon.

20. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Yes, I always sing when I get up to preach to start my sermon. Thanks again, some people don't care for acapella. but you can put so much into a song singing that way. Of course if you ever in Kentucky, you would be more than welcome at our church.

BTW, my wife retired from teaching 4th grade in public school. She taught for over 30 years and has been retired now about 6 years. We been married now 46 years.

#40 Brother Bob, Jun 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2007