1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is God Passible?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by a SATS prof, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see TC is making assertions that God does not experience emotion based on the actions of His creation. Utterly unbiblical, and without a shred of biblical support. Once again we see where men have defined an attribute of God according to their speculation, and then claimed it had some validity. No so.

Deuteronomy 6:15 says God's anger is "kindled."

Folks the claim that God does not experience emotion based on reacting to our decisions is false.

2. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Malachi 3:6. 'For I am the LORD; I do not change.'
    James 1:17. 'Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation nor shadow of turning.'

• Like Like x 1
  3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So I take it that God always perfectly exhibits anger, love, compassion, etc. and the change is on the part of man (the expression extended towards us changes because we change where as God does not)?

4. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once again you demonstrate your inability to read with understanding. :(

5. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, yes and no. God's emotions are perfect (all inclusive) and eternal (He knew what we would do, right or wrong, long before we did it, so His emotions were not caught by surprise). God doesn't get depressed. :D

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never actually understood the "caught by surprised" part. It always seems to come up when discussing this topic, but knowing something will occur does not have an effect on emotion.

Anyway, I conclude then that your interpretation of impassibility is not that God is void of emotion but that God is not subject to change of emotion.

7. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh, no. God has felt the same level of emotion for all eternity. He knew in eternity past (yes I am aware that is an oxymoron) that I would do that which gladdened Him and that which saddened Him. As He is not limited by time, sequence, or duration, any and all emotions He feels toward me are exactly the same now as their were in eternity past and will be in eternity future. When I make Him glad He is glad through all of eternity and when I make Him sad He is sad through all of eternity. :)

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are going to drive me to drinking, TC......O O

9. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would rather drive you to thinking. :D

• Like Like x 1