1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Good Friday a Hoax?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by sanderson1769, Apr 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do make a "deal" out of "Christ did not die on Friday" (notice I did not say Big deal). I only do it to get a folks thinking about what the Bible says, as opposed to a church teaching.
    Who knows, if someone realizes that one teaching is worng, maybe some other doctrines could be in doubt as well.
    Salty

ps, I worked on "good Friday" Us taxi drives get NO paid holidays!!

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When scripture says Jesus rose on the third day it does not requirs a full 72 hours. Even if he was in the grave only part of the day on the first day, and a full day the second, and then a part of the day the third, it does not make it incorrect to say that he was in the grave three days. Nor does it make it incorrect to say he rose on the third day.

Simular questions arise in the O.T. when scripture refers to the years and dates of kings reigns. Even though scripture says one king may have ruled 30 years, he may have only ruled part of the first or the last year. But as is common in our language, we do not always narrow down time frames to the exact time frame but use round figures.

3. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

There's only one problem with your PART day theory....

Jesus said:

MATT. 12:40 " So shall the son of man be Three DAYS and Three NIGHTS in the Earth. " All translations

MATT. 27:63 " And after Three days, I will rise again ".

MARK.8:31 " And after three days, I will rise again ".

JOHN 2:19 " Destroy this Temple (body) and I will raise it again in THREE days ".

Jonah wasn't partially in the belly of the fish of EACH day he was in there according to scripture 3 FULL days and 3 FULL nights.

I guess God din't create the Earth in 6 literal days either?

4. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

If Jesus was crucified Wednesday, he would have been 'in the tomb' three nights. Wednesday, Thursday, Friday night.

He would have been 'in the tomb' three days. Thursday, Friday, Saturday. He could have arisen anytime after sundown Saturday and the Scripture would still be true.

Personally, to me, it is not that important WHEN He arose. It is only important to me that He DID...

5. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most scholars appeal to a Jewish way of referring to time, according to which--"three days and three nights" is basically just saying "three days."

The biggest problem I have with the idea of a non-Friday crucifixion is that the resurrection gets thrown to a "fourth day."

6. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

No Blessed 16, according to the three full days and three full nights thread.

he was crucified Wed. at noon. died and was taken OFF the cross by 6:00 pm, which is the Jewish start of THURSDAY and rose BEFORE dawn Sun. making that 3 Full days and 3 Full nights.

Makes perfect sense to me [​IMG]

7. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

StefanM how do you explain this verse?

MATT. 12:40 " So shall the son of man be Three DAYS and Three NIGHTS in the Earth. " All translations

There is no fourth day according to the above post

8. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

No, it doesn't. If he resurrected after sundown on Saturday (by our current reckoning of time), the resurrection was not discovered until early in the morning. When they arrived, the tomb was already empty.

9. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

Exactly Hope Of Glory. according to Jewish time

6:00 pm Thur. till 6:00 pm. Fri...1 day
    6:00 pm Fri. till 6:00 pm Sat....2 day
    6:00 pm Sat. till 6:00 pm Sun....3 day

rose sometime AFTER 6:00 Sun before dawn. could have been anytime. all the bible say is he was found or seen BEFORE Dawn by Mary M.

10. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Frenchy, according to your time schedule, He was not in the ground for 3 FULL days. For the Jews, another day started at sundown on Saturday night.

Our pastor preached a whole sermon on this yesterday. It is totally scriptural.

He could have risen anytime between sundown on Saturday night and sunrise on Sunday morning when the tomb was found empty.

However, this is something I'm not going to argue about because it doesn't affect my salvation, one way or the other.

There is much conjecture about exactly what day Jesus was born and what day He was crucified.

Is it really that important?

I serve a risen Savior! He arose! The tomb is empty!

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

So what did you smash this week, a calender? :D

12. rbell

rbell Active Member

Ya know, we ARE due for another drive-by posting from Mister Anderson.

But I enjoy debating him...it gives my mind a rest.

13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

So what did you smash this week, a calender? :D </font>[/QUOTE]:eek: :mad: :rolleyes:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ed

14. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I think it's important, because we're given the information in the Bible. If it were not important, it would not be included.

But, I don't think it's important to our salvation, other than knowing that the Lord fulfilled everything completely and truly and is not a liar.

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

Apparently the OP is a hit and run poster, he posts controversial topics, armed only with his sermons, and doesn't come back and post on that topic again.
    I'm not sure, but I think we've been warned in the past about doing this.

16. grahame

grahame New Member

Now, I know that granted it matters not to us as Christians what day our Lord was actually crucified. But there are those out their who are always mentioning that the Bible has contradictions and they say things like, "Hey, there is an inconsistency here. The NT says he was crucified in the Friday (see references) But then it says that he was buried for 3 days and 3 nights. So how do you explain the verses I have quoted which certainly indicate that the day Jesus died was the day of preparation (Friday), which was the day before the Sabbath (Saturday).
    (Mark 15:42-43)
    (John 19:31)
    (Matthew 28:1)

17. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

As has been shown by multiple people, there's more than one type of Sabbath, and not all preparation days are on Friday. If you choose to ignore that, that's your choice.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

There are no inconsistencies, but ignorance concerning the Scripture, culture, historical, or all of the above. The above passages that can be considered "inconsistent" are examples of ignorance culturally and historically.
    Adam Clarke explains this well in regards to "three days and three nights"...

Three days and three nights - Our Lord rose from the grave on the day but one after his crucifixion: so that, in the computation in this verse, the part of the day on which he was crucified, and the part of that on which he rose again, are severally estimated as an entire day; and this, no doubt, exactly corresponded to the time in which Jonah was in the belly of the fish. Our Lord says, As Jonah was, so shall the Son of man be, etc. Evening and morning, or night and day, is the Hebrew phrase for a natural day, which the Greeks termed νυχθημερον, nuchthemeron. The very same quantity of time which is here termed three days and three nights, and which, in reality, was only one whole day, a part of two others, and two whole nights, is termed three days and three nights, in the book of Esther: Go; neither eat nor drink Three Days, Night or Day, and so I will go in unto the king: Est_4:16. Afterwards it follows, Est_5:1. On the Third Day, Esther stood in the inner court of the king’s house. Many examples might be produced, from both the sacred and profane writers, in vindication of the propriety of the expression in the text. For farther satisfaction, the reader, if he please, may consult Whitby and Wakefield, and take the following from Lightfoot.

“I. The Jewish writers extend that memorable station of the unmoving sun, at Joshua’s prayer, to six and thirty hours; for so Kimchi upon that place: ‘According to more exact interpretation, the sun and moon stood still for six and thirty hours: for when the fight was on the eve of the Sabbath, Joshua feared lest the Israelites might break the Sabbath; therefore he spread abroad his hands, that the sun might stand still on the sixth day, according to the measure of the day of the Sabbath, and the moon according to the measure of the night of the Sabbath, and of the going out of the Sabbath, which amounts to six and thirty hours.’

“II. If you number the hours that pass from our Savior’s giving up the ghost upon the cross to his resurrection, you shall find almost the same number of hours; and yet that space is called by him three days and three nights, whereas two nights only came between, and one complete day. Nevertheless, while he speaks these words, he is not without the consent both of the Jewish schools and their computation. Weigh well that which is disputed in the tract Scabbath, concerning the separation of a woman for three days; where many things are discussed by the Gemarists, concerning the computation of this space of three days. Among other things these words occur: R. Ismael saith, Sometimes it contains four אונות onoth, sometimes five, sometimes six. But how much is the space of an אונה onah? R. Jochanan saith, Either a day or a night. And so also the Jerusalem Talmud: ‘R. Akiba fixed a Day for an onah, and a Night for an onah.’ But the tradition is, that R. Eliazar ben Azariah said, A day and a night make an onah: and a Part of an onah is as the Whole. And a little after, R. Ismael computed a part of the onah for the whole.” Thus, then, three days and three nights, according to this Jewish method of reckoning, included any part of the first day; the whole of the following night; the next day and its night; and any part of the succeeding or third day.

19. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

Blessed 16 the Jewish day starts at 6:00 pm
    so yes he was in there 3 full days and so many hours, how many extra hours we do not know. the fact still remains he was in the grave 3 FULL days and 3 FULL nights (and so many hours) like he said he would be.

and in a way it does matter like Hope of Glory said. it matters because the bible says so and if he died on Friday the way the Catholics want you to believe than Jesus would be a liar!

I enjoy a more indepth study of scripture. most christians have a surface understanding of scripture the "basics" and are very comfortable with that. the bible says to study to show thy selves approved, rightly dividing the word,not to be toss to and fro from every waves of doctrine, to have an answer for the truth that lies within etc. etc. " [​IMG]

[ April 17, 2006, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: Frenchy ]

20. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alright, Jesus also said, "and they will kill Him, and He will be raised on the third day. And they were deeply grieved." (Matthew 17:23)

And, "and will hand Him over to the Gentiles to mock and scourge and crucify Him, and on the third day He will be raised up." (Matthew 20:19)

And in Peter's message to Cornelius and his bunch: "God raised Him up on the third day and granted that He become visible." (Acts 10:40)

Which of the verses of scripture that you and I cited are wrong?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.