1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is GW Bush an authentic Christian!?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Jay and Kelly, Nov 20, 2005.

1. emeraldctyangel

emeraldctyangel New Member

The day I let someone in a newspaper write an opinion piece on how I, as a Christian, should vote, will be a cold day in Cuba. President Bush hasnt compromised the doctrine of Jesus Christ because he is not a religious scholar nor leader. And if you are Straight and Narrow...might want to stick with the theology and stay out of Politics.

I wholeheartedly agree with you KenH. It is very easy to sit in the cheap seats and monday morning quarterback.

2. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

Just don't continue the bogus claim that we elected a "Christian President." I'll stick with Jimmey Carter in that regard. Oh, but he wasn't a Republican so how could he have been a Christian?

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Political party or persuasion has nothing to do with whether or not a person has come to Jesus in repentance and faith.

From a human viewpoint, Jimmy Carter is a Christian and was a Christian president.

From a human viewpoint, George W. Bush is a Christian and is a Christian president.

None of us has God's viewpoint about either man and it would be foolish to claim that we do.

4. StraightAndNarrow

By the way, I wasn't using that piece to tell anyone how to vote. I was pointing out what Bush said on national television about his religious beliefs. If you think someone who believes God and Allah are the same is a Christian you have every right to do so.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would also be concerned about someone who believes that God and the God that modern day Jews believe in is the same. But I wouldn't question his/her claim to have come to Jesus in faith and repentance over it.

We can be saved and none of us will have perfect faith or perfect beliefs.

6. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

The comment regarding "Christians and Muslims" refers to Jehovah, and the belief that the Muslims are acutally descendants of Abraham's son by his wife's handmaid.

Yes, George is a Christian.

YES, George is a very compassionate man.

Don't spread gossip about the man based on news and political opinions. That is VERY unChristian behavior.

7. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Ken,

I can understand saying that Christ matters, and that belief in Jehovah is not enough - and I can understand saying that many modern Jews do not live or worship God as they should, even if Jehovah WAS enough.. Anymore than Christians live or worship Christ as we SHOULD. I think saying they worship a different God is going too far.

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God without the Son is not the God of the Bible, certainly not the God that you and I worship.

9. StraightAndNarrow

But claiming that God and Allah are the same is OK? If I got up im my church and proclaimed this to be true I don't think I'd be teaching Adult Sunday School the following week. Maybe your church is more liberal.

10. StraightAndNarrow

I don't agreee with this statement. I'd consider a 3 year Law degree a higher degree than a 2 year Business degree. Throw in a Rhodes scholarship and the most highly educated President was President Bill Clinton. There were several other presidents with law degrees.

·George Walker Bush
    Education: Graduated from Yale University (1968); Graduated from Harvard Business School (1975)

·William Jefferson Clinton
    Education: Graduated from Georgetown University (1968); Attended Oxford University (1968-70); Graduated from Yale University Law School (1973)

·William Howard Taft
    Education: Graduated from Yale College (1878); Cincinnati Law School (1880)
    ·Rutherford Birchard Hayes
    Education: Graduated from Kenyon College (1842) and Harvard Law School (1845)

·Gerald Rudolph Ford
    Education: Graduated from the University of Michigan (1935) and Yale University Law School (1941)

·Richard Milhous Nixon
    Education: Graduated from Whittier College (1934) and Duke University Law School (1937)

11. JohnB

JohnB New Member

Man, what short memories.

The highest educated president was Woodrow Wilson.

Though he did not complete Law school he did pass the bar.

And he got a PHD in History from Johns Hopkins and was president of Princeton prior to the White House.

His nickname was the "Schoolmaster in Politics."

12. StraightAndNarrow

Absolutely correct. The web site I was looking at had incorrect information. http://www.ipl.org/div/potus/wwilson.html#bios

This is the correct information.
    After graduation from Princeton (then the College of New Jersey) and the University of Virginia Law School, Wilson earned his doctorate at Johns Hopkins University and entered upon an academic career.

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The president wasn't teaching a Sunday School class.

Look, I don't agree with what the president said but I'm not going to beat him up rhetorically about a statement that has no impact on his constitutional duties as president.

14. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

Seymour Hersh [​IMG]

Current and former military and intelligence officials have told me that the President remains convinced that it is his personal mission to bring democracy to Iraq, and that he is impervious to political pressure, even from fellow Republicans. They also say that he disparages any information that conflicts with his view of how the war is proceeding.

Bush’s closest advisers have long been aware of the religious nature of his policy commitments. In recent interviews, one former senior official, who served in Bush’s first term, spoke extensively about the connection between the President’s religious faith and his view of the war in Iraq. After the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, the former official said, he was told that Bush felt that “God put me here” to deal with the war on terror. The President’s belief was fortified by the Republican sweep in the 2002 congressional elections; Bush saw the victory as a purposeful message from God that “he’s the man,” the former official said. Publicly, Bush depicted his reëlection as a referendum on the war; privately, he spoke of it as another manifestation of divine purpose.

The former senior official said that after the election he made a lengthy inspection visit to Iraq and reported his findings to Bush in the White House: “I said to the President, ‘We’re not winning the war.’ And he asked, ‘Are we losing?’ I said, ‘Not yet.’ ” The President, he said, “appeared displeased” with that answer.

“I tried to tell him,” the former senior official said. “And he couldn’t hear it.”
    -------------------------------------------------

Isolated and alone bush the baby christian is
    harming and hurting this great nation..it is
    richard nixon all over again as well as other leaders in the past of history.

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We will pull out of the Iraq, ASLANSPAL, starting significantly in 2006. You are fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

16. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I am pretty sure that Seymour Hersh in teh New Yorker isn't a good source for objective information. But some people will believe anyone who backs up their previously arrived at conclusions.

17. Rocko9

Rocko9 New Member

Pastor Larry,
    I'm not defending Hersh but have you got any basis for for discrediting Mr. Hersh.

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hersh has a liberal bias. But who doesn't have a bias?

19. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Hersh's bias taints his comments and what is their apparent intention to discredit Bush. When Bush says that God has put him there, he is right. Of course, God put Clinton and whoever else has ever been a ruler.

But Hersh's apparent aim is to cast aspersions on the religious commitments that Bush holds. He is not a good source for objective information.

20. Rocko9

Rocko9 New Member

I know that Hersh was not a very popular fella when he reported on the Abu Ghraib abuse scandal, mostly I see that he is not popular in conservitive circles because he has reported some of the ugly truths that no one wants to hear about.
    And I am still not defending Hersh but can you give me a quote or an instance when he has stated anything on the religious commitments of George Bush.