1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is it a sin to wear jewelry & braid your hair?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by hsmom3, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Headcoveredlady

Headcoveredlady New Member

You aked how I knew about the fruits, following commmandments and love.

These verses have taught me to discern the above mentioned things:

Matthew 7:16, "Ye shall know them by their fruits..."

1 John 5:3, "For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments; and his commandments are not grievous."

1 John 4:5-6, "They are of the world; therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them. We are of God, he that knoweth God heareth us, he that is not of God heareth us not. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error."

1 John 3:10, "In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil; whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother."

I wanted to add that I read in another post how you and your husband love one another really inspired and encouraged me. Thank you for sharing that that was a blessing to me.

2. Gunther

Gunther New Member

Headcoveredlady, another poster, I think Ruthigirl, posted about the interpretation of 1 Timothy. It is you who have not reckoned with that verse. Also, you did not answer the passage that speaks of the way a groom adorns his bride with jewelry.

Bottom line is that Scripture forbids jewelry in certain circumstances and reasons, but not in every circumstance. There is a proper place for it.

3. Headcoveredlady

Headcoveredlady New Member

Dear Gunther,
    I have not answered her post because I have posted numerous posts that show what I beleive these verses say.

I hope I did not offend her by not answering her, but I feel that I have adequately explained my position.

4. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

Oh, you are quite welcome.You have such an earnest and godly aspect in your demeanor. I know in my heart that you have strong convictions and you are just sharing them with me in a desire to be helpful. You've always treated me with respect and so make it easy to read your posts. I thank you for that...that shows true godliness and is truly following the Bible standards on how to treat others.

You are always thought provoking. I can't tell you how many times I've looked in the mirror and thought about some of the things you've said.

You have earned my respect. Not that that in and of itself means anything that anyone else would find of value, but nevertheless it is of great value to me.

In Christ,
    W.S.

5. Walls

Walls New Member

I didn't take the time to read the entire thread, so I am just going to post my opinion and if it has been duplicated, I apologize.

1 Timothy 2:9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided
    hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; 10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

I do not believe it is a sin but women who claim to be godly shouldn't.

6. Karen

Karen Active Member

I can relate. The piece of jewelry I appreciate even more than my engagement ring is the ring my husband bought on our first anniversary, just to emphasize that he loves me. He had to sell something he valued a lot to be able to do it.

Karen