1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is It Biblical?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by tyndale1946, Feb 27, 2024.

1. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have all heard this saying... Hate the sin but love the sinner!... Is it true from a biblical point of view?... Brother Glen:)

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 5:43-48 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; that ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same? And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so? Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe in was in reference to this?... Brother Glen:)

Psalms 139:19 Surely thou wilt slay the wicked, O God: depart from me therefore, ye bloody men.

20 For they speak against thee wickedly, and thine enemies take thy name in vain.

21 Do not I hate them, O LORD, that hate thee? and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee?

22 I hate them with perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies.

23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:

24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Deuteronomy 8:3, . . . know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man live.

Psalms 19:4, . . . Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Not as men, as the creatures of God, and as their fellow creatures, whom they are taught by the Gospel to love, to do good unto, and pray for; but as haters of God, and because they are so; not their persons, but their works."

- from John Gill's Bible commentary on Psalms 139:21

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, at least not with regard to God.
    Psalms 5:5, Psalms 11:5 and many others.

God loves His people and hates those who are not His people...though He commands His people to show love to their enemies and His. We as believers are to love and pray for those that persecute and despitefully use us.

From God's perspective, He hates the sinner as well as the sin.
    But with His people, He loves them in spite of their sins...remember, the ones that He has cast behind Him as far as east is from west? ;)

Let us rejoice that He does not hate us, but that He loves us and is not willing that any of us should perish, but that we all should come to repentance!

#6 Dave G, Mar 17, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2024
  7. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I saw in this passage when reading Gill,
    where Jesus, even if only in His Humanity,
    loved this Rich Young sinner, although we know Jesus also Hated his sins.

The Rich Young Man.

17 "And when He was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to Him, and asked Him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may Inherit Eternal Life?

18 "And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou Me Good? there is none Good but One, that is, God.

19 "Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.

20 "And he answered and said unto Him, Master, all these have I observed from my youth.

21 "Then Jesus beholding him loved him,"

"Not as God, with that special Love, with which He Loves His people, who were Given Jesus by the Father, are redeemed by His blood, whom He calls by His Grace, Justifies by His Righteousness, Forgives their iniquities, and, at last, Glorifies them: but as man, Jesus had an human affection for him;

"so far as there was any appearance of moral good in
    The Rich Young Man, it was agreeable to Jesus, Who Loves Righteousness, and Hates iniquity;

"and though the young man betrayed much vanity, pride, and conceit, Jesus did not use him roughly, but kindly, and tenderly;

"Jesus beheld him, He looked wistly upon him, when he said the above words; which look intimated, that he could not believe he had perfectly, and completely kept all the commandments;

"however, Jesus did not choose to reproach him with a lie, and charge him with pride and arrogance, but gave him good words, and spoke friendly to him;

"and, as far as He could, commended The Rich Young Man for his diligence in observing the commands:

"And in this sense the word where Jesus "loved" him is observed to be used by the Septuagint interpreters, as when it is said of Ahab, 2 Chronicles 18:2, that Ahab "persuaded him" (Jehoshaphat), and they render it, "he loved him to go up to Ramoth Gilead":

"In other words, Ahab gave Jehoshaphat good words, he spake friendly to him, and by fair speeches prevailed upon him:

"and it is in that same way that when it said of the Israelites, in Psalm 78:36; "they did flatter him", (God,) the Septuagint renders it, "they loved Him with their mouth";

"They spoke very well to God, and of Him, Praised Him, and His works, and in this way expressed affection to Him, though it was only with their mouths.

"Moreover, Christ might not only have spoken kindly to this young man, but He may have also used some external gesture: which showed an human affection to him, and respect for him....

"and here the sense of this phrase, which pleases me best of all, is what may be collected from the use of it among the "seventy" interpreters, who often render the Hebrew which signifies to "have compassion", or "show pity", by the word here used: "
    Jesus...loved him".

"And it is the same as in Proverbs 28:13, "whoso confesseth and forsaketh, shall have mercy", they interpret "shall be loved"

"and in Hosea 2:23, "I will have mercy on her that had not obtained mercy",
    they render "l will love her that was not beloved";

"And once more, Zechariah 10:6. "I will bring them again to place them, for I have mercy upon them", they translate , "because I have loved them";

"See also Isaiah 60:10

"and then, according to this use of the word "love" Jesus is said to have felt toward him, the sense is, that Jesus looked upon him
    when
    The Rich Young Man had expressed himself in such a pert manner, that Jesus had a compassionate concern for him;

"Jesus pitied him for his ignorance of the law, in its spirituality he didn't grasp and the unimaginably large extent to which the law reached that he didn't appreciate; and Jesus pitied him for his pride and vanity, his conceit of, and glorying in himself:

"wherefore, in order to mortify him, and abate these swelling thoughts of himself, we see that Jesus";

"said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow Me.

22 "And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions."

8. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke 6:27–30f (NASB 2020) “But I say to you who hear, love your enemies, do good to those who hate you..."

Luke 6:35–36 (NASB 2020) But love your enemies and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for He Himself is kind to ungrateful and evil people. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.

A quick search of synonyms for sinner:
    • Transgressor
    • Trespasser
    • Evildoer
    • Wrongdoer
    • Delinquent
    • Criminal
    • Wicked person
    • Irreligious person
    • Malefactor
    • Miscreant
    • Reprobate
    The Lord doesn't love a sinner,
    In fact, he describes the sinner as condemned;
    Yet he provides a way to escape.

We cannot read the heart anyone with precision.
    We understand that the LORD desires all to come to salvation.
    Be like your Father.

Rob

9. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He must have... He saved a criminal on a cross... Brother Glen:)

Luke 23:39 And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us.

40 But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?

41 And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.

42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.

43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

• Like Like x 1
  10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not sure this is correct (not sure it isn't either).

I'm trying to reconcile it with Romans 5:8.

Romans 5:8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

• Like Like x 1