1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is it hot out there?

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by FriendofSpurgeon, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I keep seeing the news --- about the heat wave going across the US.
    How hot is it where you are?

2. Joe

Joe New Member

It was 95 degrees today in Northern California

3. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

About 94 in Nashville (plus the humidity).

But I still remember what an old preacher said to one of his members who'd commented on how hot it'd been:

"Yep, it's hot, but I've read about a place that's a lot hotter than this.....and, Praise God, I'm never going to go to that place!!"

4. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    107 yesterday; only 100 today.

5. Carolina Baptist

Carolina Baptist Active Member

It hit about 98 here. The humidity was opressive.

That's ok. I inside with a temperature of 101.2

6. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

It was only about 91 here today. That's not so bad considering it's August...

I hear the heat in the Midwest is supposed to be moving my way. Thank God for air conditioning!!

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

it's been about 96 or so for over a week, but we're supose to get a little cooler temps in a few days.

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

It is 14 (57F) and a light rain at the moment. Looking forward to our heat wave ebbing.

#8 NaasPreacher (C4K), Aug 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2008
  9. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    About 110%, not too bad. It's a dry heat.

10. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Have mercy on us, Roger!!!! 57degrees F.?????? Really???

Yesterday---it was 98degrees F. here in the Heart of Dixie------"Alabama Hot!!!!!"

With my lawn business---I have a Igloo water cooler----2 gallon---and I drink it dry every day I'm out!!!

Drink your water, folks!!!:thumbs: :type: :type:

11. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

95º yesterday with a heat index of 105º. Needless to say, I stayed inside with the A/C on!

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Yeah, but the high for Thursday is supposed to be 21 (70F) and no A/C to turn on :)

13. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

In Miami, it's only 84 right now, with a projected high of 88. Looks like we are one of the coolest places in the country.

Of course, not as cool as Ireland.

14. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Today's projected Heat Index for the Nashville area is supposed to be at least 100 degrees.

Yeah, FofS, Ireland is a real cool place....almost as cool as Scotland!! :laugh:

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I just went outside and it's 82 degrees with very little humidity. It's GORGEOUS!! This is what summer should be like. But alas, it's due to get more humid as the day goes on and get to around 90. :( I heard that we're to get thunderstorms this afternoon. We'll see what happens. But for now, the house is open and we're enjoying the summer. :D

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Aww - I'm sorry! Is it a virus or something else??

How about some cold chicken soup? ;)

17. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

It's only about 90 degrees F here.

18. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

You all need to come down here. We are in the middle of winter. The hight today is 10 celsius (50F) and with the rain that has been falling and the high humidity it feels very cold- its a wet cold that clings too you. Living in a concrete house with poor heating does not help either. I would gladly take same warm weather right now! Send some my way.

19. Carolina Baptist

Carolina Baptist Active Member

Temp is back down today. I still not quite over it but much better.
    I was able to report for jury duty today.(Didn't get selected for the jury :thumbsup: )

Still hot outside and the A/C doesn't work in my truck :( .

20. Paul from Antioch

Paul from Antioch Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Back in the late 1940s-early 1950s, I recall reading a book that was published back then that had articles on Preventing Radio Frequency Interference (RFI). One article I still recall reading back in the 1960s caught my eye. Seemed that a new Funeral Home somewhere in the southern part of MS was just opening for business, and as a result wanted to have the most modern, up-to-date features of any other funeral home in that region. Installing an brand new solemn-sounding background music system was one of its goals. However, since most of that funeral home employees were brand new at this funeral home, overlooking a vital element to this new sound system came into play. An old preacher/evangelist's funeral happened to be the very first service in this new funeral home, and, consequently his memorial service drew crowds from all over that region. Now, across the street was a very high-powered Ham operators "Shack." This Ham took one look at the jammed parking lot, and decided not to attend that pastor/evangelist's funeral, probably because back then air conditioning was not very well known, & so he decided to forgo this memorial service. With time on his hands that Saturday afternoon, he powered up his 2,000 watt transmitter to talk to anyone on his transmitter's frequency. Unknown to the funeral director was the fact that in the confusion of setting up all the flowers, etc., one brand-new employee had accidently left a strand of wire attached to the speaker adjacent to this "Warrior for the Lord's" head, & thus was an antenna for any radio transmissions in that region. Since radio frequencies at that ham's high-powered rig usually don't travel very far during summer time, he just happened to pick up a fellow ham who lived close to Nome, Alaska. As a result this ham commented on the very high temps of that southern MS region. Unbeknownst to the parties attending that memorial service across the street, all they heard was this one-sided conversation of that ham right across the street. When he broke into the memorial service, all the rather stunned audience there heard the following: "Boy o boy, it sure is HOT down here!! Its as if there was a full-blazing fire where I am!!" You can imagine what was going through the minds of that large crowd!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.