1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

is it possible the movie passion

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by massdak, Feb 17, 2004.

1. mioque

mioque New Member

Caretaker
    "The movie was translated into Latin and Aramaic by a Jesuit priest. "
    Well, there is a shortage of IFB's out there who could have done it. :D

"Mel Gibson adheres to the "old school" pre-Vatican II belief that none outside the RCC can be saved. "
    At the very least Mel believes in the salvation of other (non-Roman) Catholics. Like say Byzantine Catholics, or Koptic Catholics.

"Mary is raised to levels of participation which are extra-Biblical,"
    That's certain.

" and support RCC dogma concerning her. "
    And that's still rumor at this point.

"The "Passion" was filtered through RCC perversion, and is thus an RCC production. "
    A RC production? Sure. But the RCC didn't fund, or order this film, so no.

2. David Mark

David Mark New Member

This movie, a message about the Christ has stirred up so many folks.

Once again, the man (The Christ) is making headlines.

When the Lord was on Earth, many folks came to see him for many different reasons. He was so many different things to so many different people. But some, believed he was sent from God the Father. And some believed he was the Savior and the only one with the words of eternal life. To those who believed that he was the savior, they were given the opportunity to receive eternal life.

God himself has said that he is a rewarder of those who diligently seek him. So let any simple message have it's beginning work, but let every man be diligent in how he seeks God as if he and only he will have to give an account.

Those who are trained and wise, know the warnings, but to me, those warnings don't really have much value until someone is born again and sets out to walk this very narrow way. Set me on the path first, then warn me and teach me how to stay on it, until my very last breath.

I sense a similar thing going on, not just with this movie, but with the discussions I am hearing everywhere.

Some want to pick it all apart, dissect it, disprove a message's worthiness, and others want to rush head long with little caution, hoping to gain some insight or encouragement. Still others are just intrigued and seem drawn to a spectacle.

I agree with the Apostle, when he rejoiced that, even when men with less than honorable intentions, preached the Christ, The Christ was preached.

It is wonderful and fascinating to me.

Dave.

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

not to ruin the suspense or anything, but since u asked, the bum of a naked male moves quickly past the eye as graveclothes collapse on rock ledge--end of movie. </font>[/QUOTE]Is this a joke? I hope so.

4. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Me, too! Roger! Me too!!

Forever Settled---Please tell us you're just "Mouthin' off!"

Brother David

5. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

In this context, I hardly think of this as 'sexual'. However, scripture tells us the grave cloths were neatly folded. Also, I've not heard this 'scene' mentioned in any of the articles I've read or from any of the people who previewed the movie.

Remember, Jesus didn't holler 'Lazarus, come forth but not until you put some clothes on!'

Diane

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

IF this is the case it would seal the case for me - sexual or not, there is NO CAUSE for nudity in this context!!!!

Would we need to to see Adam and Eve naked if this was a movie about Creation?

Still hoping it was a joke.

7. Forever settled in heaven

even if i was, i doubt that wld make a difference for ppl whose minds r made up.

who cares if a nude Jesus walked out into the sunshine? if one soul cld be won for heaven, why complain? besides, didn't all the scholar union (ha, i learnt a thing or two fr some of our onlyist friends here :D ) give their imprimatur?

what boggles me is that others who've watched the preview aren't speaking up--they're just rubberstamping the rhetoric.

:rolleyes:

then again, there's a possibility that Mel wld remove that scene (as he claims to have done w the "His blood be on our heads" scene) fr the final cut.

8. Forever settled in heaven

why not, in the name of appreciating the full suffering, why not in the name of appreciating whatever else ... if it's ok to be gratuitous w Jesus suffering, why not w His resurrection? or w the Creation?

i'd love fr those who've been arguing for realism n defending the "art" of the brutal n gory.

btw, like i said, it wasn't a full frontal male nude shot--if that makes any difference here. just the butt heading past the graveclothes n out into the sunlight. ... followed by a cut to black n a minute's silence.

what can i say? like Mel's other movies, it's a v masculine ending ...

9. Forever settled in heaven

well, u gotta laugh ...

John 11:43When he had said this, Jesus called in a loud voice, "Lazarus, come out!" 44The dead man came out, his hands and feet wrapped with strips of linen, and a cloth around his face.
    Jesus said to them, "Take off the grave clothes and let him go."

;)

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

FSIH,

I am amazed that the speed with which folks have jumped on this bandwagon. If this is in or is left in I wonder what people will say about it - it is still okay? Are we ready for a depiction of a nude Christ on the hbig screen?

I hope it is cut, but will not be surprised.

If we are going to be realistic, can we not do a Bathsheba bathing scene? How far can we take this need for "realism" on the screen?

Mel seems to have a thing for making sure that masculine "ends" have a proper role in his movies. NO I AM NOY IMPLYING THAT HE IS HOMOSEXUAL!

11. vaspers

vaspers New Member

I thought Mel acted a little, you know, with his wrist and arm, on Diane Sawyer interview. That's okay, though, God loves all people even if they are, you know, a little.

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Have to part company with you on that vaspers - feel that that implication is not fair.

My point was his use of nudity as a selling point.

13. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Vaspers, Mel Gibson is a family man with a load of kids. Just because a man uses his hands when he talks doesn't make him 'you know, a little...'

Diane

14. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

I have known a few people who have prescreened this movie but have heard nothing of nudity in it. This sounds like rumor mongering or gossip. In fact I have heard it has no nudity in it. Can we not wait til Feb. 25 before criticizing a movie no one on here has even seen? (((SIGH)))

15. Forever settled in heaven

r u accusing me of lying, rumourmongering, n gossip?

16. vaspers

vaspers New Member

I think Mel acted a little, you know, nervous, and defensive, you know, a little uptight about the questions, "Norwegians weren't there, it was Jews who did it" type sarcastic replies to Diane Sawyer, you know, a little bit fidgety and refused to add a note at end of film to say don't blame Jews as a race for killing Jesus. Yes Mel issued a statement on homosexuals and the gay agenda, but no media outlets will publish it. You know what Mel said about this?