1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Jesus God?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by 2 Tim. 2:15, Jul 9, 2008.

1. standingfirminChrist

Methinks the OP has a twisted view of who Christ is and what it is that saves a person. (look at the other thread he is currently posting in).

2. 2 Tim. 2:15

2 Tim. 2:15 New Member

I agree with you but such is not always the case Genesis 17:5 Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made thee. Here a distinction is made from being called something and being something.
    2 Samuel 12:28 Now therefore gather the rest of the people together, and encamp against the city, and take it: lest I take the city, and it be called after my name.

3. 2 Tim. 2:15

I apologize you guys I forgot I had this thread running I wasn't hiding

4. 2 Tim. 2:15

Now don't get me wrong these are all names and titles with meanings that apply to Jesus in some way and if the prophecy said he would be called those names then he was.
    I'm sure there was some significance in him being called these names but it doesn't prove that Jesus is God

5. standingfirminChrist

Hebrews 1:8 proves Jesus is God beyond a shadow of doubt.... that is, for those who believe the Word of God.

6. Cutter

Cutter New Member

For you to imply that there is not enough proof in the Bible to believe that Jesus Christ is God is ludicrous. From beginning to end the Word of God is clear on this matter. Can you produce Biblical proof that Jesus was not God incarnate?

7. 2 Tim. 2:15

I say Jesus of Nazareth is the only begotten Son of God and not God Himself. My purpose for this question is to hear other peoples views on the matter, because to say Jesus is God is crazy in my point of view. Think about it ... Jesus is a man just like you or me . He has a body and a spirit just as we do. His breath stunk in the morning just like ours. He defecated and urinated just as we do. He got dirty and bathed just as we do. Do you not think it is the least bit insulting to bring the Almighty God, the Creator of all things down to the level of His creatures. His sinful creatures. I mean think about it look at it from the viewpoint of a billionaire or someone extremely wealthy. Could you imagine how angry he would be if people took a homeless guy and began to exalt him and try to make him equal to himself ? He'd probably have the homeless guy and everyone else killed immediately. Well that's just a fraction of the scale we're dealing with here in my eyes.

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

If Jesus is not God, he has no ability to die for your sins,
    He has no ability to provide for you salvation
    He has no ability to forgive your sins (Only God can forgive sins).
    If Jesus is not God, you are yet in your sins, and condemned to an eternity in Hell--If Jesus is not God.

9. Cutter

Cutter New Member

How insulting of a statement you have made against Christ in comparing Him to an homeless man.

10. 2 Tim. 2:15

If Jesus is not the Son of God and did not resurrect and ascend into heaven we are yet in our sins.
    1 Corinthians 15:17 And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins.

11. 2 Tim. 2:15

LOL ... Did you know that christ was once poor?

12. standingfirminChrist

Hebrews 1:1-8 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds; Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high; Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they. For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son? And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him. And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire. But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

God clearly called the Son (Jesus Christ) God.

Quit denying the deity of my Lord and Savior.

13. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Isaiah 42:8 I [am] the LORD: that [is] my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images.

2 Peter 3:18 But grow in grace, and [in] the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him [be] glory both now and for ever. Amen.

Did Peter sin here? Did Peter lie or did Peter tell the truth?

Please answer these simple questions?

14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Phl 2:7 but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, [and] coming in the likeness of men

Jhn 5:18 Therefore the Jews sought all the more to kill Him, because He not only broke the Sabbath, but also said that God was His Father, making Himself equal with God.

Mar 2:5 When Jesus saw their faith, He said to the paralytic, "Son, your sins are forgiven you."
    Mar 2:6 And some of the scribes were sitting there and reasoning in their hearts,
    Mar 2:7 "Why does this Man speak blasphemies like this? Who can forgive sins but God alone?"
    Mar 2:8 But immediately, when Jesus perceived in His spirit that they reasoned thus within themselves, He said to them, "Why do you reason about these things in your hearts?
    Mar 2:9 "Which is easier, to say to the paralytic, 'Your sins are forgiven you,' or to say, 'Arise, take up your bed and walk'?
    Mar 2:10 "But that you may know that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins"--He said to the paralytic,
    Mar 2:11 "I say to you, arise, take up your bed, and go to your house."

The scriptures are clear that Jesus Himself said He was God. This is what angered the Pharisees so much and they tore their clothes because it was blasphemy to declare one's self to be God.

If Jesus claimed He was God and was not, then He was a liar and of the devil himself. He even spoke to the Pharisees about this:

Mar 3:23 So He called them to Himself and said to them in parables: "How can Satan cast out Satan?
    Mar 3:24 "If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand.
    Mar 3:25 "And if a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand.
    Mar 3:26 "And if Satan has risen up against himself, and is divided, he cannot stand, but has an end.
    Mar 3:27 "No one can enter a strong man's house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man. And then he will plunder his house.
    Mar 3:28 "Assuredly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they may utter;
    Mar 3:29 "but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation"--

C.S. Lewis said this in "Mere Christianity"

"I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: “I’m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don’t accept His claim to be God.” That is the one thing we must not say. A man who said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic — on a level with the man who says he is a poached egg — or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.”

2 Tim., you will probably not be here much longer, so I hope you learn something before your stay is cut short.

15. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

He is God and also the only begotten son of God.

He is older than his mother yet his mother's son.

He is the root of David and the offspring of David.

I believe I know who He is... :BangHead:

16. standingfirminChrist

Now why didn't I think of that? [​IMG]

17. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I am sorry, but I don't agree. Unless I have misunderstood you, you seem to be saying that "Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram" means something like "You have a name. That name has a name. The name of your name is being changed."

And in the 2 Samuel quote, what is being spoken of is the possibility of Joab taking a city (Rabbah), and of it becoming known as "Joab's City". If he took it, in battle against the Ammonites, it would, in that sense be his city; it would not merely be called "Joab's City" when it was not.

In English, we tend not to use "name" and "called" in that way. "My name is called David" sounds odd, and is considered wrong. It should be either, "My name is David," or "I am called David". But in the bible, "name" means far, far more than the label by which someone is known. When God tells Abram in Genesis 12.2, "I will make your name great", He does not mean that He is going to give him a long name consisting of many letters, like the Welsh place-name Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch! (That's all one word, but I cannot get it to appear as such, perhaps because of its length). And when we read in John 2.23 that many believed in the name of Jesus, it doesn't mean that they just believed that J-E-S-U-S was His name. The name in that sense is used rather like we use it when we say that someone has a good name in the community. It means their character, and status.

18. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

This is incoherent. To be the "only begotten Son of God" is to be "God himself."

For this reason therefore the Jews were seeking all the more to kill Him, because He not only was breaking the Sabbath, but also was calling God His own Father, making Himself equal with God (John 5:18).

It is interesting how the people who heard Jesus say it understood perfectly well what he was saying, but people now 2000 years later have a hard time with it.

Someone who says that Jesus is not God is denying the truth of God's word and is an unbeliever.

19. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'd have to put the OPer down as a non-Christian - maybe a JW but certainly some kind of Arian.

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I agree, but for whatever reason he is gone now.