1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is liberalism spreading over all demonations?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by UnchartedSpirit, Oct 26, 2006.

1. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

Or is everyone who is not a Baptist of some sort starting to crave more of that "idol meat," in their acceptance or enjoyment of cultural fringes, trends, or vogues?

2. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I think Baptists enjoy their idol meat as much as the next bunch. Their idol meat usually just happens to be meat.

3. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Priceless. Absolutely hilarious.

Thank you, uncharted, for making my day.

Remember folks, anything that doesn't look, smell, taste and look Baptist is not True Christian (tm)!

4. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

New Age Spiritualism is entering into all Christian Churches. It's just that most Christians do not recognize it in it's new "Christian" Package.

5. UnchartedSpirit

That's not what I meant, I asked if even us Baptists are getting too hooked into the "Abounding Grace" doctrine and are embellishing themselves with more worldly satisfactions than Godly ones....

6. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Oh, well, I guess if you only wanted Baptist input you should have put it into one of those Baptist-only forums, huh?

What's an "Abounding Grace" doctrine?

7. UnchartedSpirit

"Shall we continue to sin, that Grace may abound?" I'm seeing not in this but other 'Christian' groups, that the answer is "&@^% YEAH!"

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

From what I have read since being on BB UnchartedSpirit, you have hit the nail on the head. I don't know any of these Baptist denomonations that would advocate what I hear on BB that is ok for Christians to do without losing their Salvation, if they ever had it.

9. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

As always, to carry out a meaningful discussion on this kind of topic means that we have to be quite clear what we mean by our terminology. What does the original poster mean by "liberalism"? Classically, that means a low Christology and a weak anthropology (i.e., not taking sin seriously). But some folks use that to describe dissent on inerrancy, the use of contemporary music, or the reading of a modern translation of the Bible. What is your meaning, and then we can more properly discuss your question.

10. UnchartedSpirit

Well at the moment I'm under the impression that the two definitions are the same, sans the music bit and some modern translations does make it helpful to get greek//hebrew illiterate non-theologians to get the right word wihout the need of a 5-ton dictionary/grammar guide out of the scriptures than the older ones.....

11. genesis 12-15

genesis 12-15 New Member

Yes. Instead of The Book as our source, we are being blown to and fro by every wind of creating a better place to worship, using a new format, sort of like Ace Hardware creating a better place to buy. The very idea that man can create something "new to do" is an abomination. Worship needs no props.

12. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This phrase is found in Ps 96:1, Ps 98:1, Ps 149:1 and Isa 42:10.

So I would say the doctrine that there are no new ways to worship God is unbiblical and an abomination.

13. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You guys are straining at the gnat again while swallowing the camel.

When the subject of different modes of worship come up or which translation of the Bible to use or whether we should tithe - you can get all kinds of posts.

But at the sime time - the vast majority of the Christian churches have swallowed the poison of evolutoinism totally denying the gospel and the role of the Creator and the integrity of scripture.

The elephant is in the living room and all have agreed not to speak about it.

When the subject comes up on this board - almost no one will comment on it.

It denies the Gospel, it defeats the role of marriage, it denies the role of God in creation AND the fall of mankind AND the basis for a NEED for salvation AND the justice of God in condemning perfect sinless humanity when it chose to fall etc.

It leads predictably to rejection of the integrity of scripture AND to the gay agenda being promoted IN church after all - we all just "EVOLVED".

How in the world can all this massive decay of the Christian foundation go "unchallenged" by comparison to all these other minor topics?

In Christ,

Bob

14. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is true - there is general denial of Romans 6 about being enslaved to sin vs being freed from that slavery.

And that even reaches churches that reject the Bible-denying doctrine of evolutionism.

But also note that many churches reject the entire OT -- and some like the Church of Christ - generally reject NT Gospels since they report the doctrine of Christ before the Cross.

The "practice" of rejecting scripture appears to be rife.

In Christ,

Bob

15. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

A Christian response to evolutionary theory has been mounted, over and over again, in various ways. I don't think you can say that this issue has been ignored or gone without challenge. But I have several responses to your posting:

1. First, while it is true that some popular forms of expression make adherence to evolutionary theory an "ism" or an ideology, genuine science works from evidence and not just from suppositions;
    2. Second, that it is entirely possible (and, I think, necessary) to mesh a reading of the Bible with the essence of the evolutionary hypothesis, if one is not wedded to an overly literal reading of Genesis. Read chapters 1-11 as parable rather than literal history and you will find that it is possible to affirm both scientific evidence and respect for the insight and inspiration of the Scriptures;
    3. Third, that only the crudest reading of evolutionary theory would "absolve" human beings of responsibility for sin. Many scientific scholars have worked on the question of the evolution of the brain, but I believe they always stop short of saying that we are "merely" an expanded ape. There is still that element of mystery we call the human soul. The insight of Genesis, when you read it as I am suggesting, is that we -- all of us -- turn against God, set ourselves up as the arbiters of what we want to do, and thus forfeit our fellowship with our Creator.
    Friend, my concerns here are not only that we not put ourselves in positions that are impossibly difficult to defend, but also that we not reduce our human condition to the inheritance of a bad decision made by our supposed ancestors. In other words, whereas you see evolution as attempting to reduce sin to a mere genetic problem, I see Biblical literalism much the same way -- as reducing sin to our struggle with "Adam" and "Eve" and their disobedience. We need to come to grips, without varnish, with our OWN rebellion!

16. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member