1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Mel still Catholic?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Ps104_33, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Mel Gibson Slams Vatican
    Devout Catholic actor says he no longer believes in the Church as an institution.

By Brad Hunter
    New York Post

Read here

2. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

Psalm, why are you asking us is Gibson is still Catholic?

How would we know?

Do you think that we have some sort of membership list that is daily updated or something?

What's your point?

Why would you care?

3. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Oh well, the New York Post is like the National Enquirer, but with a fine sports section.

4. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Can you people really be that disingenuous?
    HE SAID THAT HE NO LONGER BELIEVES IN THE CHURCH (RC CHURCH THAT IS) AS AN INSTITUTION!!!!!

Wouldnt that be the magesterium? Wouldnt he in essence be no longer considered Roman Catholic if he no longer believed in the church as an institution? You are all pretty quick to let us know when a Protestant forsakes his beliefs and "comes home to Rome". Doesnt what Gibson say about the Catholic Church cause anty concern? Millions of people are goint to see his movie and apparently it is causing alot of concern with the "politically-correct" wing of catholicism. Do you agree with Gibson that the RC church is getting liberal? (from a catholic standpoint). Are you right? Is Gibson right? or Is the US conference of Catholic Bishops? The JDL? Anti-defamation league? Is there a standard that you go by? :confused: If the magesterium of the church is your standard Mel just trashed it. :eek:

5. trying2understand

I guess that Catholics don't have the ability to read minds and hearts as Baptists do. [​IMG]

Here is a novel idea.

Since Mel Gibson is supposed to have said it, why don't you try and ask him?

Why do you want other people to tell you what he meant?

How are we to know any more than what the one sentence quote says?

You are the one reading into it, pretending to know what he meant by it (if indeed he actually said it) and then want us to explain and expand and answer all of your questions.

It's just too silly for words.

6. GraceSaves

GraceSaves New Member

It's impossible to know a man's beliefs based on three minor quotes, one of them (the first in the article) being incomplete. The rest is filled in by the journalist.

Further, what does he mean when he says he rejects the Church as an institution? I mean, he has a priest come in his back yard and perform a Latin Mass. Obviously he still believes in heirarchy, since he's not presiding over the Mass himself. And obviously he still believes in Catholic teachings, but feels that it is currently too liberal (according to liturgical things, I assume).

Who knows what he is. I'm not going to base my decision on a few loose quotes, nor does it concern my faith any if a celebrity suddenly changes his religious perspectives. I don't look to Madonna for morals either.

All we can objectively do is pray for him, as we should pray for all brothers and sisters in Christ, whatever their spiritual crisis may be, and NOT judge them.

God bless,

Grant

7. trying2understand

Psalm, did you have anywhere near as much concern when Bill the baptist Clinton was out there carrying his bible around town while on his way to the next extra-martial affair? :confused:

How about when he declared an offical baptist acceptance of homosexual behavior? After all he is a baptist and therefore by your thinking must be offically representing baptist beliefs. :confused:

How about when he pushed for the continued slaughter of the unborn? Another baptist belief apparently by your line of reasoning. After all the first baptist of the land, representing all baptists in America, is strongly in favor of abortion. :confused:

See any similarity to your thinking process of late (ie. Bill O'Rilley and Mel Gibson)? [​IMG]

Know what I mean? ;)

[ June 11, 2003, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: trying2understand ]

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Is Mel still Catholic?

ya can take the boy out of Catholicism, but you can't take Catholicism out of the boy.

That could probably be said for most of us, especially if we came from other traditions before becoming Baptist. Even of those past experiences weren't always positive, the fact remains that we owe a lot fo the faiths which bred us before we came to be where we are. In the end its matters not where you came from, so long as you know where you're headed.

9. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Johnv,
    I take it that you are a former catholic turned baptist or whatever. Can you please answer one question for me?
    Why did you leave catholicism? Was it doctrine? if so which doctrine or doctrines did you find the RC church in error? You seem to spend an awful lot of time defending a church that you saw fit to leave. Why didnt you stay? Dont get me wrong. I'm glad that you did but I havent been able to figure out why. Are you a plant? [​IMG]

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I don't like to give out too much personal info, so I'll keep it brief: I come from a family that has several Catholics, Presbyterians, and Baptists. Regardless of denomination, I'm a lucky one: all of my siblings, aunts and uncles, and cousins, are Christians. My original reason for leaving was that I was a heavily trained musician. My local SBC church has a dynamic and diverse Music Ministry.

While there are doctrinal issues I have with the RCC, I see no need to engage in the regional catholic bashing that frequents this board. Personally, I find it distasteful that my fellow brethren enage in it to the extent they do. There are several doctrines that baptists simply think Catholics believe in, even though they don't (works based salvation, for example, is often cited as RCC doctrine, when that simply isn't the case).

There are more spirit-filled Christians in Catholic pews than Baptists think, and, unfortunately, fewer in Baptist pews than they'd like to admit.

11. faithcontender

faithcontender New Member

JohnV,

With due respect, I'm curious why this is your stand. How long have you been a baptist? Since as i understand your post it seems you know few spirit filled baptists compared to "spirit filled catholics"? Now i don't know you personally and about your church. I just feel sad that you don't know many spirit filled baptists as i know. I don't know of any spirit filled true catholics. Since most of them deny the true gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.

If you find distasteful that your brethren is engage in presenting the truth i find more distasteful that you appear to be siding with the enemy of the truth.

12. DanielFive

DanielFive New Member

I agree completely. [​IMG]

Those of us who came from RC backgrounds know from experience how fruitless this non-stop Catholic bashing is. I'm all for witnessing to catholics, I have many problems with the RC Church but I just wish that those who engage in debate with them would try to do so in a Christ-like manner. There is far too much bitterness and even bigotry displayed here.

If you want to present the truth to someone you have to show them what that truth has done for you. Where is the evidence of Grace in your lives? If you would seek to win Catholics for Christ then you must present the truth in the spirit of love. Anyone who can't manage that should forget about soul-winning.

Enda

13. MikeS

MikeS New Member

JohnV,

With due respect, I'm curious why this is your stand. How long have you been a baptist? Since as i understand your post it seems you know few spirit filled baptists compared to "spirit filled catholics"? Now i don't know you personally and about your church. I just feel sad that you don't know many spirit filled baptists as i know. I don't know of any spirit filled true catholics. Since most of them deny the true gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.

If you find distasteful that your brethren is engage in presenting the truth i find more distasteful that you appear to be siding with the enemy of the truth.
    </font>[/QUOTE]And then a Catholic asks, with due respect, how do you know, with certainty that you have the truth, as opposed to all of those who disagree with you on one point or another? It's a question that never goes away...

14. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Johnv,
    I still fail to understand your forsaking the Roman Catholic Church. It still seems to be where you want to be in your heart. ( there I go again. reading hearts ;) ) If you have no problems with their doctrine and their enthusiasm for what they believe, I am begging you, go back to where you belong. I could better deal with you.
    You are bad for the cause for TRUTH. You are a typical jellyfish of a moderate who stands for nothing and falls for anything! :mad:

15. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

Boy, that was a real loving post. :rolleyes: While I disagree with John on many things, I think you could have gone about making your point with a little more tact.

Neal

16. LaRae

LaRae Guest

Boy, that was a real loving post. :rolleyes: While I disagree with John on many things, I think you could have gone about making your point with a little more tact.

Neal
    </font>[/QUOTE]Problem is Neal....people with attitudes like psalms think they are perfectly justified in being as rude or 'tactless' as they want when dealing with Catholics....or those who show any support of Catholics.

LaRae

17. A_Christian

A_Christian New Member

I what to see this movie he is making about Jesus.

I hope that Mr. Gibson might make a REAL movie about the Flood or Job or the Tower of Babel. He would have to to better than that H O R R I B L E
    made for TV movie about the FLOOD, that was
    distorted and silly and just plain dishonestly
    presented.

18. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

That's so true, LaRae. That is one thing I have really been trying to work on the past few months. Even though I may disagree with someone, I don't need to be rude to them. Sometimes its tough, but I think it is very important to strive for.

Neal

19. thessalonian

thessalonian New Member

JohnV,

</font>[/QUOTE]How can Protestantism be a friend of the truth is my question. Baptists Methodists, PCUSA, conservative Presbyterian, ELCA, LCA, Missoursynod Lutherans, Wisconsin synod Lutherans, Pentecostals, assembly of God, sevenenth day adventists, seventh day baptists, Apostolics, menonites, Church of Christ, United Church of Christ, International Church of Christ, World Wide Church of God, Church of God, Unitarian, Thousands of non-denominational denominations, Episcopalian/Anglican/ Fundamentalist, Evangelical, Armenian, Premillenial, Amillenial, post-millenial, and on and on, under the big tent of Sola Scriptura. They jump all over someone who's kids read Harry Potter, but when have I seen a debate between them amongst their own many many differences? Once in a while, but not nearly as often as they jump on a Catholic like a fly on food at a picnic. For over a year I heard two guys back to back on Protestant radio, one teaching that your salvatoin had to produce works, while the other was a completely osas guy. You said the prayer, your in like flint. When I would email one or the other about the other they would invariably say, well, I don't listen to his program. You'll have to talk to him about it. Yet they were good buddies and it would be impossilbe to believe that they didn't talk offair. I have heard a guy speak against dispensationalism/pre-millenialism in favor of Amillenialism the last few days. He basically says, oh, it is wrong but harmless. Yet on the same program harry potter was blasted for leading people astray because of the errors in it. Error is error and it leads men astray no matter what!

Just venting.

Blessings

20. A_Christian

A_Christian New Member

Possibly it is because the "Roman" Catholic
    church thinks it is THE CHURCH. Protestants
    believe that THE CHURCH is not the organization
    or a government but the body of BELIEVERS.
    We don't go to CHURCH----we ARE THE CHURCH.
    That and of course Catholics are consistantly
    inconsistant. It's enough to make a Bible
    reader choak. ;)