1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Nutt Out at Arkansas After This Season?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by KenH, Oct 25, 2007.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a Razorback fan since the summer of 1964 when I was reading Texas Football magazine and its coverage of the Southwest Conference, I certainly hope so.

A very interesting read:

www.coacheshotseat.com/CoachesHotSeatBlog.htm

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm 95% sure that he's gone. Nothing is ever certain with Arkansas. Things are coming to light that will only seal the deal for Nutt's demise.

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

If he runs the table, who knows. But another loss or two, and I think he's gone.

The question is: will Fulmer have a job at the end of the year? Tennessee is 18-13 in its last 31 games. That kind of mediocrity doesn't play in Knoxville. Plus, you don't get to lose to Bama.

4. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I can't see Fulmer done after this year, maybe after next if things dont get better.

What do you think Tom?

5. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

He should be gone...but because the school is in a tight spot due to still paying off Nolan Richardson; Nutt probably will be another year or two to make things a little worst.

6. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nutt has lost fan support. IMO, the risk of losing donations is greater than the risk of paying off Nutt.

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Razorback Foundation should have plenty of money. Compared to other coaches in the SEC Nutt doesn't get paid all that much.

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I don't think Fulmer should go anywhere. I think DB coach Larry Slade should've been fired instead of Randy Sanders (Former OC) two years ago.

Tennessee is back in the driver's seat in the SEC East. If UT wins the East, Fulmer's job is likely in no trouble. However, go 7-5, and I think Fulmer is in hot water. At 8-4, the water will be quite warm. 6-6? He's gone.

8-4 or 7-5, Fulmer will likely make coaching staff changes (assuming he survives a 5 loss season in Knoxville). Remember that UT has not won an SEC championship since 1998 and has played for only two since 2001, even though they have won or shared 4 divisional titles in that span.

I say again...I don't think Fulmer's the problem. I do think the youth and injuries have been a huge issue this year. This team is about where I thought they would be to be honest. You can't lose all 3 receivers to the pros, half your front seven to the NFL and start new CBs and expect to compete for a conference title. Yet, that's exactly what's happening thanks to the topsy-turvey SEC this year. However, in 2005 UT was 5-6. 2006, they went 9-4 (A 1 point loss to the national champ and a 1 point loss to the BCS bowl winner LSU, and a late fumble cost them the bowl game). This year, 5-3 is not a good number for many of the call-in show regulars who believe the rest of the SEC is improving while Tennessee is stagnate.

Maybe the breaks UT got and capitalized on Saturday night against SC were enough to put them over the hump. However, two more key injuries (an OL and DB) will test the Vols.

Sorry..I know you weren't wanting an essay :)

9. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Who would be a likely candidate at Arkansas?

10. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They might consider him too old (he's 57) if they're looking for long tenure, and I'm not even sure if he ever wanted to be a college 1A head coach, or it seems he would have been, but one idea might be Dick Bumpas, the current TCU defensive coordinator, and an Arkansas alum.

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The fan base wants Butch Davis and he has close ties with John Tyson.

12. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Didn't he sign for a few years at NC? Has the Razorbacks ever been happy with their coach after a few years? I believe it was Pat Summeral who said he had never seen them real happy with a coach for very long. His time goes back to the 50's, when he was in school there, just think another Fl. boy going to school out of state way back then. They wanted to be Texas or Oklahoma or some one else. They have turned out a few coaches who have won national championships or in the running who went to school there at U of Arkansas and a few from there who have done well and didn't coach there, like Paul "Bear" Bryant and Tommy Tuberville ( went to school in Ar. but not U of Ar.)who have done a good job in Al.