1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is Open Theism a Type of Arminianism?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by humblethinker, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Figures out of that whole post this (personal stuff over a rhetorical "pup") along with reverting back to me being "unfair to Olson, would be your only focus; just shows more of same avoidance tactics and that you missed the point. Whatever.

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :thumbs::applause::thumbs:

3. SovereignMercy

Faith:
    Baptist
    They are both forms of atheism.

4. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This situation is rather simple:

Arminians will protect Open Theist's right to exist (at least) and call them "wrong" without attempting to completely remove them from all Theological discourse..They call them "wrong" without naming them as "heretics".

Calvinists...........couldn't care less whether Open Theists live or die..(This is an artistically-liscensed way of speaking, if you understand my metaphors).

Open Theists are now asking that Arminians accept them into their camp as wholesale brethren, and BOTH Calvinists AND Arminians are saying NO, HECK NO........

Look, O.Theists, you have existed under a sort of Umbrella of Theological Protection provided by Arminians, but we (as Benjamin so Brilliantlly stated) don't want you "sleeping in our tent" because you "ate too many beans"...

I have (personally) been on VERY few threads (about Soteriological topics) wherein Myself, Benjamin and Icon, are in a "group-hug" of agreement.... :1_grouphug:

If There is a :1_grouphug: <----------On a "Soteriological" topic between Ben, HoS, and Icon...........then maybe you need to re-think something...........

You are asking too much:
    Arminianism provides a label of respectability which provides a level of "protection"..........from utter obscurity.

Calvinism does too

NEITHER position thinks "Open Theism" is a legit position
    Calvinists usually think you are simply apostate heretics
    Arminians will (at least) let you speak and defend yourselves...

If you are posing a thread which asks "Arminians" to accept that you are "In their camp" than.....other than Olson........Ask enough Arminians whether they WANT you there.
    Other than Olson.......They don't.

If you aren't careful........You are going to cut off your nose to spite your face.
    Arminians are the best friends you have: My advice would be NOT to TICK them off.......because our Cal brethren would LOVE to see you go down in flames.........And we won't protect you if it comes to that....
    You are not an Arminian,
    You are an Open Theist,
    You are on your own.

#44 HeirofSalvation, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2012
  5. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

That is truly the stupidest statement I have ever heard in my entire life.

6. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

I like you're appeal to authority there... pot, kettle, black.
    there too...
    Glass house... don't throw stones...

#46 humblethinker, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2012
  7. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

I don't quite follow what you are intending here... What are the exact consequences that you are implying? Will you take your ball home and not play with OVTs, is that what is at stake?

#47 humblethinker, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2012
  8. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

No. And maybe I am being a little harsh with my responses and shouldn't be. :( sorry. But, I just think that the almost visceral reaction you would get from suggesting that OT is Arminianism should probably tell you something. Have you read or had any discussions on this idea on other sources? I am gonna keep track of how Arms react to Olson's blog on this. I think he will find few agree with him on this. I am hoping a response comes from someone like Abasciano or Jerry Walls. Maybe his idea will get more traction than I think.

#48 HeirofSalvation, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2012
  9. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BOTH cals/Arms need to state that Open Theism is NOT biblical, that the god of their musings/philisophies is NOT the God of the Christian faith!