1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is overeating a sin?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by mr. messy, Mar 7, 2005.

1. mr. messy

mr. messy New Member

At my first glance to an article "Is gluttony one of the seven deadly sins?" I thought, incorrectly, that it was listed in Proverbs 6. Wow! I was wrong! Proverbs 6:16-19 KJVA
    (16) "These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
    (17) A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
    (18) An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,
    (19) A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren."

From the Indianapolis Prime Times, News and Views for People over 50, a monthly free newspaper that I found at the supermarket store. From this I found the article "Is gluttony one of the seven deadly sins?"

The Bible does talk about eating many times in the Bible and I cannot list them all. I am just a layman.

Back to my question: "Is over eating a sin?"
    As an American and I am limited to my cultural experience, I see many times and places where a person can over eat, in a fast food place, in a home, in a church pitch-in or pot luck supper, in certain holidays such as the American Thannksgiving dinner.

Yet some people practice fasting. I have not done that (yet).

I am interested in what you think and write back. Maybe we can all learn from each other.

Thanks, Mr. Messy.

2. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Absolutely. Gluttony is the "sin" along with "pride" of the independent fundamentalist Baptist movement.

They don't drink, smoke, dance, attend movies, wear hair over their ears (men), wear pants (women), etc.

But they do know how to feel good about themselves spiritually as they chow down at the church potluck.

I would add to gluttony the eating of excessive junk food that these same fundamentalists engorge themselves with.

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Yes gluttony is a sin.

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    THE TWENTY-THIRD POUND

My appetite is my shepherd.
    I Always Want.
    It maketh me to sit down and stuff myself.
    It leadeth me to my refrigerator repeatedly.
    It leadeth me in the path of
    Burger King for a Whopper.
    It destroyeth my shape.

Yea, though I knoweth I Gaineth,
    I will not Stop Eating,
    For the Food Tasteth so Good.
    The Ice Cream and Cookies, they comfort me.
    When the table is spread for me,
    It Exciteth me,
    For I knoweth that soon I shall dig in!
    As I filleth my plate continuously,
    My clothes runneth smaller.

Surely bulges and excess weight shall
    Follow me all the days of my life,
    And I will be FAT FOREVER.

Source unknown

5. natters

natters New Member

Eating food within the right limitations is not a sin. Abusing food is a sin. Drinking alcohol withing the right limitations is not a sin. Abusing alcohol is a sin. Having sex within the right limitations is not a sin. Abusing sex is a sin. Etc.

6. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

natters,

Exactly!

7. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

Ditto!
    Let your moderation be known to all men.

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

Over indulgence in anything, including food is sin.

9. Jensen

Jensen New Member

How would a person determine what is "over indulgence" of food? How does the Bible define gluttony?

If overeating is gluttony....then a person who is not a glutton is one that eats only enough to maintain life? maintain their body weight? or is it optimum food, nutrient & caloric intake? So the eating of anything that is unnecessary is then gluttony? Or is gluttony when a person is controlled by an object (i.e. food) similar to slothfulness (i.e. sleep) or lust of the eyes & flesh (i.e. pleasure)?

Please list Biblical verses not church or personal traditions.

10. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

I guess most of those within my IFB circle must be an exception to your observations. Maybe, Green Bay promotes the adding on of winter weight, and inactivity associated with hibernation. I believe that I have convinced my wife to scatter my ashes over Lambeau field when I die, but of course, I will not have to worry about extra pounds when that occurs.

11. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Praise the Lord!

Just north of Green Bay, they have three fundamental Baptist churches in a place called Pound! And boy are they big! [​IMG]

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've preached at First Baptist, Pound, and at Section Eight Baptist, Pound. And I've eaten there. Those Polish Baptists are some of the best cooks I've found anywhere in America.

Man, I just gained weight thinking about Pound . .

[​IMG]

13. csmith

csmith New Member

Kind of a blanket statement Paul33, but I know what you are saying.

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

Eating till your over full is how I define over indulgence.

15. Jensen

Jensen New Member

donnA,
    Yes, but after a period of time you can eat more & more without feeling full...so what I am interested in is just what is Gluttony and what how does the Bible define it.

16. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a topic in which the vast majority of Americans engage in some way; eating too much food, the wrong kinds of foods, and especially too much of the wrong kinds. But unlike the alcohol issue, nobody thinks that to avoid the problem we just don't eat any food at all. A poll would be interesting to see our different viewpoints, but it would of course show nothing factual. But there is something wrong with how Baptists would condemn bringing beer or wine to a church picnic, but for food anything goes-- fried chicken, pork chops, casserolles, cakes, pies, and gallons of homemade ice cream.

17. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

You're right. We have an attitude towards alcohol that even the Puritans didn't have. There is nothing wrong with wine or beer in moderation and it would do our churches good to get over it.

18. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

Whew!!!!alot of axes to grind here. Settle down, settle down, you all know the big bad fundywolf isn't as bad as his bark. I hope you all don't have pinyata (sp) sticks in your hand. This could be a mighty bloody thread.
    Thanks ------Bart

19. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I was in the Air Force, I ate at least 4000 calories a day. I execised at least at least 2 hours a day besides working as a carpenter/mason which is a physical labor job. I ate very large meals and would get accused of overeating all the time - by those that ate less than me. Yet, I actually lost weight during that time. So, did I really overeat? It all goes back to the motivation for doing so. If I eat tons of food simply because I have nothing else to do or just plain want to it certainly can be considered a sin - especially if I eat more than I need. OTOH, if I eat lots to fuel everthing I do, then it is not sin. Eating healthy is something everyone would benefit from.

20. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

On the other hand, some could eat 1000 calories a day and probably gain weight due to their inability to exercise (i.e., maybe a physical handicap). Unfortunately, we did not have that excellent Air Force food in the Army, so I did not have to worry about any weight gain regardless of how much activity I did or didn't do. I did stay active, though, in order to to pass the PT test.